What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are modified national ------- hives. Short lugs on the frames and so they come close in size to langs.
I am gradually moving over to true national stuff.
The largest cropping hive had put a semi circle of pollen in the central few supers and one super, the frames had moved apart and so I got a load of brace comb between the middle two frames. One side of this was full and capped the other side was empty. Bit of a disaster that super.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use predominantly Manley frames which cannot shift in the supers- useful when struggling with the fifth supers on top of the hive. (but then I am old and infirm :serenade:

Transferred last week's prime swarm to a National Brood box. Had built out foundation frames. Entrance watching hadn't shown any pollen incoming but when transferring frames saw some bees with pollen baskets. Thinking about brood raising ??

Not been able to visit the girls for 3 weeks until this last weekend and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they have been doing (more supers needed and no swarms!) after such a slow start here this year. Everywhere around here is awash with clover and I guess that this must be what they are so busy on.

Checked mine today still foraging the blackberry and now starting the rosebay willow herb.
Think I'm going to have extract some honey next week as one hive is on its third super and I don't fancy it going up any more.

Woke up to a swarm in the back garden. They moved into the bait box and then spent the day bringing in nectar. Took it to one of my out apiaries and transferred it into a hive. Turned out to be a big swarm. Also my warming cabinet has been playing up, now sorted and on a test run.

Mostly sweating ( 34-36 celsius in shade). In the middle of qrearing, today transffered larvae onto bars from jenter.. " Free sauna"..

Checked mine today still foraging the blackberry and now starting the rosebay willow herb.
Think I'm going to have extract some honey next week as one hive is on its third super and I don't fancy it going up any more.

Two of mine are on four supers now and I agree - it's too high for comfort and safety.

I closed up a nuc last night for transport to a friend today. They were hanging around the entrance and did not want to go in even at 23:30. When I finally shut the entrance one of the little gits got the right hump and followed me down the garden then sat on the kitchen window looking agitated. Who said bees don't fly at night!

I did an inspection yesterday. On one frame I saw a varroa mite moving around. As I re-positioned the frame so I could flick it off, a worker walked over it and it disappeared, only to reappear on the bees thorax almost immediately. I'd never seen one of the little so-and-so's off of a drone or an inspection board before.

Today I introduced a mated queen, from an Apidea that I had united over newspaper with a newly-made up queenless nuc yesterday. The Apidea was in a brood box extension above a Paynes poly nuc, and the bees had chewed through the newspaper and were peacefully mingling in less than 24 hours. I popped the queen in an introduction cage for safety, and waited until the nuc roared when they realised their queenlessness. Although the bees in the nuc did not seem to be balling the cage when i placed it on the top bars, I hung the cage between the inner brood frames until releasing the queen today. On opening the cage, she flew to the front of the hive, so I picked her up and dropped her on the top bars, and she disappeared calmly between some combs soon after.

The whole experience was new to me, and it seems to have worked well so far, as well as being a lot of fun! :hurray:

Clipped and marked 2 nice queens from early June casts,both laying very well. Took 4 fully sealed frames of comb from starters to make cut comb for a market this weekend.

Very good season so far and still plenty of time for even more honey to be collected.

Transferred last week's prime swarm to a National Brood box. Had built out foundation frames. Entrance watching hadn't shown any pollen incoming but when transferring frames saw some bees with pollen baskets. Thinking about brood raising ??
If it was a prime swarm I'd have expected her to be laying within a few days.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Easiest swarm ever -

Attachments

• IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 28
It feels like Christmas.

I have just received these three NL Line queens that were mated on the German island of wangerooge.
The mother was 55-3-342-2015 and the drones were provided by 18 daughters of 11-1-539-2013 (C-Mayen). These will be introduced to 5-frame Langstroth nuclei until they are established, then, join the rest of my 2018 test colonies.

Attachments

• NL Line 2017.jpg
    NL Line 2017.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 35
It feels like Christmas.

I have just received these three NL Line queens that were mated on the German island of wangerooge.

The mother was 55-3-342-2015 and the drones were provided by 18 daughters of 11-1-539-2013 (C-Mayen). These will be introduced to 5-frame Langstroth nuclei until they are established, then, join the rest of my 2018 test colonies.

I want a 'wangerooge' queen for the name alone!!

Needed another swarm like a hole in the head... but a distraught chap called me.. bees been there 2 days hanging from a fence. Wind and rain now... He had called East Sussex council who had put tape around to keep people away.. but not called anyone..I popped them in a Nuc box ( quickest collection ever, as bees huddled and fed up). Nice feed on return. Today on 5 frames so may be useful to bolster winter bees..

Just off the coast of Wangerland, you couldn't make it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's just glorious. And in Friesland no less. I hope these bees have black and white markings similar to Friesian cows who originate from the area too!

Latest posts

Back