What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, Philip; you're three beekeepers!

Yep ... scary innit ?

I'm already worrying about next season ... even with Paynes October sale I'm not sure I can get enough kit together .... planning for my Long Hive to go back into use so that's one, I've got one timber brood box I've made that with a floor, a roof and a Kingspan bonnet can do another one. I've got a half finished triple wall 8 frame box that needs a floor and a roof that can do another and then I have two Nucs ... so ... at present it's an O Sh!T for what I will be able to do next year.

Might have to consider building another LDH ...or perhaps even .... A ZEST hive ???

Oooooh...did I hear you whisper Zest?
We will want step by step of the launching of Flagship Zest!

Last night, put more feed on two swarms I picked up on Monday...!! Another one with two queens, possibly three. Not sure what to do with them: by the time queenies are mated/new brood emerging, it will be end Sept. Might keep them to see what happens or possibly unite in due course. (One in an MB mini nuc with two supers, the larger in a five-frame nuc)

Any suggestions?

Just come back from the association apiary - had to find and mark a newly mated queen in the last of this year's nucs for our 82 year old beginner, bit late for my liking - but they're his bees now - lovely gentle colony, building up nicely with good stores and brood pattern. Hope he enjoys them!

Looked out the window at my big bucky hive which hasn't been looked in for a few weeks - no time to inspect it today as so much unpacking/washing to do after campervan trip. Hopefully tomorrow.... Then have to fit in my hives a mile away in cardiff and the 3 in caerphilly - 8 miles away. Before all this beek lark I had no need of my own car, I just share hubby or sons cars. Think I'm going to have to get me a beek mobile. Fancying a nice truck or trannyvan 😛

Squished a q that the colony had been trying to supersede for the last couple of weeks. 2014 q and not a great colony so no loss to the gene pool. Combined with a 2015 q and her colony. Will check in a week or so for any problems.

Feeling rich....a colony which had a few setbacks earlier in the year....me transferring the Queen into a nuc by mistake....didn't help....then a new queen turning out to be a drone layer....which they superseded.....then having to wait for another new queen to get mated and start laying. Now has over 7 brood frames laid up edge to edge with BIAS and lots of bees. Clever Queenie. Quiet bees. Added some more syrup. Soon to be transferred to the Dartington.....when the paving slabs are laid. OH complains about lighting the smoker...and then we don't use it....but the day he doesn't ...will be the day it will be needed!

Had a professional macro (extreme close-up) photographer round the apiary,can't wait to get the pics back,will post them on here when i get them.Quite pleased with the extra stores since the last inspection in the hive we opened up.

Went through four of our hives today just to give them the once over, one hive (suicide hive) which keep removing their queen have another queen and she's laying well, she's about two weeks old now, we didn't see her but there were plenty of brood at all stages. The three other hives were teaming with bees and all the queens are still laying well. There is still plenty of forage here all we need is the weather! We have two hives in an out apiary that weather permitting will be looked at tomorrow, one should have had a queen hatch last week, so fingers crossed. Also made up a load of syrup for three Nuc's.

Last night, put more feed on two swarms I picked up on Monday...!! Another one with two queens, possibly three. Not sure what to do with them: by the time queenies are mated/new brood emerging, it will be end Sept. Might keep them to see what happens or possibly unite in due course. (One in an MB mini nuc with two supers, the larger in a five-frame nuc)

Any suggestions?

Hi bontbee,
If they don't have a laying queen then unite in due course (health check first) as otherwise they will be dead come February.

Kaz and Arran and I went through my hives today........

........and I have to have to offer an apology to ericA!

On another thread, earlier today, the acknowledged Queen of the Forum had said she was anticipating one last inspection before basically leaving her bees alone, apart from feeding, for the winter. I expressed surprise, thinking this was a bit early.

I should have known better!

We found clear signs of the colonies starting to slow down for the autumn, and I've decided to bring forward my scheduling by a fortnight.

I must learn to listen and learn instead of shooting off my mouth.

Sorry ericA,

not worthynot worthynot worthy

Dusty

Dusty stop apologising
:ohthedrama:
It's that sort of year. All my supers (all? that's a joke; 80lb off four colonies)
are off some shallows nadired.
All my new queens after AS failed and have been saved by captured swarms
Next year to look forward too.

Inspected the V floors (i.e.bits of estate agent board) on the 2 hives I'd put Apiguard on 1 Sep, negligible mite drop on one and <50 on the other.

All previous years it's been hundreds so looks like my local V. are resistant to Apiguard - or have gone away.

United colonies for the first time decided newspaper was safer than air freshener.

One was a swarm collected 4 weeks ago with no sign of eggs but loads of stores. United this with a small swarm from mid July with an active queen.

The other was an AS of mine in the spring which did a supercedure a month ago, again no eggs so I presume the weather hasn't been enough for mating here in the northern fringes of God's own Country.

Should have 3 colonies to overwinter when the other one comes down from the moors.

looks like my local V. are resistant to Apiguard - .

Congratulations! that will be a world first! it's only been on a few days for goodness sake - you don't see the full effect until the second tray goes on anyhow.

Had a professional macro (extreme close-up) photographer round the apiary,can't wait to get the pics back,will post them on here when i get them.Quite pleased with the extra stores since the last inspection in the hive we opened up.

Thats a great photo Greg! I can't wait to see the others

Latest posts

Back