What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All hives & nucs flying well today, lovely sunshine. My poly hives are all bringing in orange pollen, no idea where from, as far as i can see there are only snowdrops here unless its from a distant garden. No crocusses here so??

All flying

Seen 1st flights of the year from all 5 hives. That's a week earlier than last year up here in the grim north...

Standing in the apiary, 9 degrees with a bit of sun, all hives showing activity, but a few are flying like it's the middle of Summer. Beautiful sight and sound.

The two double broods are not so busy so had a quick peek through the crownboards - they seem happy and well.

Just sat amongst my hives & all 3 hives AND all 3 nucs are taking in pollen, virtually every other bee with the hives. So pleased :)

Last edited:
Temps 8-10 celsius, on sunny places maybe 12C. Snow around hives changed color to yellow. Cornel is opening, bees are bringing pollen ( also from some remains of hazels). Gave second batch of patties. For now nothing Abi Norman.. All alive and kicking.
Every winter hear scary stories of whole apiaries die, and looking at my colonies .. What a heck they've been doing?
Watching prices for colonies, if I can't get proper price will go into season with them. For now prices are ... I don't know would I cry or laugh..

"Family walk up the hill 3km, and back. Snow is melting.. Our 5 and half year kid had no rest, it was also joy to see how he enjoyed whole day.."

Last edited:
Yes, we have snowdrops nearby and they are the first destination for our bees in spring; it was the one bee heavily laden with white pollen that puzzled me. Ours were collecting here in the South last Sunday.

Checking some packs of comb honey I see they are beginning to or have already set. Wondering if I can remedy it without taking it all out. I. E. hot water bath?

Why bother though. If your comb honey has some free honey at the bottom but has been stored level it will still look OK.
I have just melted four packs taken off one of my shop outlets' shelves because they had stored it at an angle and the set honey looked unattractive. I gave them some new ones and showed them how to display it without it happening.

Wandered down to the Apiary in the noon sunshine to see all hives active and bees returning from afar with pollen. Tomorrow's forecast isn't so good but they are stocking up while the stocking is good :)

Moved last 2 hives to new apiary, nearer my home.
First one to be moved, sealed up -strapped up,- into wheelbarrow -to push through a wood, following a bumpy path.. Foot down a leaf strewn badger hole... me, wheelbarrow and hive tipped over.. My assistant, there to help and learn said the most she learned was new swear words..
Fortunately the strap nearly held, and only gaps appeared where the floor slid sideways. Soon rectified.
I learned ... 2 straps crossing is a safer method . Certainly did for the next hive which is full of bees who need a new queen with better manners!

Made 16 dummy boards for 14x12s & supers. Prepared posts & panels to extend apiary fence protection tomorrow weather permitting. Hoping weather will be cold to keep the bees in while i do it, unlike today :)

added fondant to all hives, marked position for gate project in fence rather than climbing over fence for access, cut back a few brambles before it got to cold.....

Managed to build a brood box.
first one this year.
never going to be ready at this rate :-(

Could be fun doing the fencing today, bright sunny day the bees will be out, i cant lock them in they wont get many days like this to be out, heres hoping they are nice to me :)

had planned on going today .but sleet out side at the moment ..

Latest posts

Back