What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah! Now I understand the leek bring the welsh national symbol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did nothing in the apiary today. I'm still celebrating a fine English display of rugby in Cardiff, resulting in a well deserved win.

I did nothing in the apiary today. I'm still celebrating a fine English display of rugby in Cardiff, resulting in a well deserved win.

scrappy game, England and Wales will have to do much better, in the World Cup!

I'd rather say an extremely poor display by Wales resulting in a well deserved loss

I'd rather say an extremely poor display by Wales resulting in a well deserved loss

Yes, and after all that pre-match sledging and the psychological warfare over the roof - then that f@rting around in the tunnel, the "intimidating" light show and fireworks! Then Wales lost!

Nearly wet myself laughing!

Dusty.

:iagree::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
Yes, and after all that pre-match sledging and the psychological warfare over the roof - then that f@rting around in the tunnel, the "intimidating" light show and fireworks! Then Wales lost!

Nearly wet myself laughing!

Dusty.
:iagree::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

rugby, ha so top ventilation works then. where's them matchstick going to see my bees and tell them we won , well not very good but we did.

So much activity, that I put my full bee suite on, and gloves!

Fantastic day in the apiary, it's like a summers day here, huge activity from all the colonies, it's seems so different to colder days, when there is no activity, and the hives look "deserted!".

Some of these colonies, and the amount of activity, look busier, than on a flow!

Went down to the apiary, to add 2.5kg slab of ambrosia fondant, to one of the hives, that was rather on the light side,

rather an unusual method of applying fondant..., this hive had a clear crownboard made of acrylic, but no feeding hole, so rather than remove the crownboard, and break the seal, (replace with a new crownboard!) I thought it would be quicker, to drill a 3" hole with my portable makita drill, (drill went through acrylic like a knife through butter!) and drop the fondant bloke on top of the colony, and then I improvised, and removed the rhombus clearer from a clearer board, and used as an eke!

No bees harmed, and they didn't even notice, or emerge from the hole!

roof back on, secured with hive straps.

Job done, now I can sit back and relax, nothing more for me to do here....

Checked hives, 11oC here 1 hive did quick cleaning flight then very little activity. Other hive loads of activity even pollen coming in. Seems they think spring is here already, they should take notice of their neighbouring hive!

Getting prepared

I now have a lovely stack of painted supers ready for the coming season. Pale blue, pale green and cream. Sadly...I haven't been able to find any pink. Still awaiting the arrival of the brood boxes. I have decided to go double brood on all my hives this year. Last year I ended up with brood and a half...as I couldn't get hold of any brood boxes in time. Even the jumbo brood box wasn't big enough for the carniolans...so ended up using a super for them too. This year the supers will only be used for any honey crop...if we are lucky again! My girls are out in force today...all three hives very busy...don't know where they are going or what they are doing.....they don't seem to be carrying anything. All their legs are very shiny so perhaps they are collecting water and having a poo. The varroa tray got blown out of the hive so my counting is now defunct. I shall just have to assume that the OA has done its job.

Bloody Hedge

Returned to apiary this morning to continue hedge cutting. I took my elderly neighbour with me to help remove and burn the cuttings. Could not get the fire to stay alight. 4 in 1 strimmer purchased last year nothing but a pain. Could not refit the hedge trimmer so opted fro the brush cutting head. Made good progress and cleared up nicely. Came home to find the plastic guard had cracked, a plastic bracket had broken and the air filter cover had cracked. Cracked plastic presumably due to cold weather first thing.
When we left at 12:30 the girls had started to fly. We stood and watched as one hive after another emerged. Then joy as a hive I had given up on started to show a lot of activity.
Good morning? Yes I suppose. Tomorrow going to have the difficult conversation with the strimmer supplier. Machine not fit for purpose? But SWMBO says I should not be persuaded by price and stop being a mean old
b----r

All hives flying this afternoon, bees on crocuses in the garden and collecting water from the apiary pond. Lovely sunny day :)

Watched all six hives bees coming and going in the sunshine. No 3 and 6 had clouds of bees making orientation flights whereas the others seemed to be going further afield.

All hives flying today and working the snow drops that had opened plus now have a spotty car when you got to go you got a go suppose

Misty,0C so moved a TBH nuc 20 meters. Frozen - me that is - so dashed inside asap.

Back