What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to have missed out on the rationale for that. :confused:
Let me rephrase that. I have no confidence in being able to identify a broodless period or indeed whether one will occur: there seem to be a lot of views on that here, and as a newbie I am really not confident in it. So when Swarm and Goran say oxalic rather than f^rting about, I hear, but oxalic may be ineffective as well and I really do not feel ready to grub around sacrificing brood in January.

Stood for about five minutes watching the entrance ... about noon ... weak sun but only about 8 degrees ... a few fliers out and about, still some dregs of ivy in blossom on my trees and they seem to be mainly heading for that ... some of them on my virginia creeper - I suspect they are finding sticky stuff on there for propolis ? Internal hive tempeature had dropped to 15 degrees ... still well above the outside air but well below what it was the other night.

2pm, 8 colonies very active working the ivy in our walled garden site.
Mg's put on, not happy bunnies, stung Eric twice but left me alone for a change.

2pm, 8 colonies very active working the ivy in our walled garden site.
Mg's put on, not happy bunnies, stung Eric twice but left me alone for a change.

Whos Eric? shouldn't he have been wearing a bunny shaped suit so he was a happy bunny then?

sorry get my coat and hat and gloves as its damn cold out tonight.

Potted up 25lb of Honey today with the help of the kids. :party:
I started in June with 2 swarms, First I bought off my mentor and second that I helped extract from the roof of a house.
Hives are all ready for winter with fondant on. Insulation in place as well as straps. Just need to put woodpecker wire on and hope I have done enough to get them through our first winter together.
I will put more fondant on as needed.

Potted up 25lb of Honey today with the help of the kids. :party:
I started in June with 2 swarms, First I bought off my mentor and second that I helped extract from the roof of a house.
Hives are all ready for winter with fondant on. Insulation in place as well as straps. Just need to put woodpecker wire on and hope I have done enough to get them through our first winter together.
I will put more fondant on as needed.

Hi Limousin lass we have just got home after a week in our cottage in haute vienne dept 87 didnt want to come back to the UK lol :offtopic:

Hi Limousin lass we have just got home after a week in our cottage in haute vienne dept 87 didnt want to come back to the UK lol :offtopic:
Guess you got wet while you were here in the 87 then!
Turning colder from now on.
Are your hives here or Blighty?
Still OT

Put the rest of the mouseguards on (Sunday morning). It was bright but cold and there wasn't much activity.

For now the BHS Dartington floor is being left with just its poly entrance restrictor.

I expect I'll do a torch & mirror-on-a-stick floor check when I get a nice day.
Fingers crossed until then.

just had a quick look and all my hives are very active with lots of bees flying and bringing in pollen it is 11* and sunny

Had to re-arrange the chamber of secrets err, I mean workshop shed i'll explain:
Due to the little accident with my extractor this year (dropped perspex cover of said machine into the cage on full spin :eek:) I enquired with the supplier about a replacement, so after a little chat about one thing and another I duly ordered it, gave my card number and forgot all about it (needless to say I seldom check my bank statements). Mam phoned today to say my extractor part had arrived but the fly tippers had been in the greenhouse again and could I come over to sort it out, but not to worry, they'd stupidly left some paperwork with the myriad boxes of dunnage so I could use my contacts to trace them as she didn't know anyone locally by the name of Maisie Moore.
Recycling being my main ethos I have now taken all the bits of wood and put them in the workshop - luckily there are no bits less than 18" so I'm sure i can make use of most of it.I shall burn the waste cardboard to keep me warm when I'm next pottering around out the back.
I've also checked my bank statements and they have charged me an exorbidant amount for the extractor covers. This is not the first time this has happened and i am a bit fed up! so I shall put a big order in with Big T's on line sale out of spite just to teach them a lesson! ( but to show there's no hard feelings I shall probably buy one or two cheap items from them in the convention)

Feeling miserable as my bees are still being sieged by Asiatic Hornets.

I went out to where I keep my winterised supers and had a game of badminton - Score me 12 Hornets 2 - 12 dead bodies - feeling a little better.

I went out to where I keep my winterised supers and had a game of badminton - Score me 12 Hornets 2 - 12 dead bodies - feeling a little better.

Good shot! :)

It's the only "wasp" still flying round here to any extent as well but it's not such a big deal with so few bees flying. Still good time to swat next years queens.

Chris

Chris,
yes there are very few around now. But as it is unseasonably warm here my bees are out and about and so are the Hornets which I have been expecting to disappear when it gets cold. The forecast says 6/7 deg at night over the next 2 days that should see them off.

I have not been able to identify a queen hornet yet they all seem to be about the same size. I assumed the queens were bigger.

Latest posts

Back