What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked on my bees as been a week since last inspection. I didn't see either queens in my last inspections but both seen this time, also marked the one as it was wherein off.

Plenty of bias and what did surprise me there was lots of fresh nectar clogging the hive up. Why do they store it in the brood nest when they have the space upstairs!

I put a new frame in on second hive few weeks ago an was drawn out fast noticed this today on that frame. Is this a sign of failing queen?

null_zps3f138379.jpg

Photo of queen in other hive that's just been marked

null_zps0da3c5f5.jpg

A lot of us are in the same boat it would seem!
Swarm - I'm not far from Brecon, about half an hour north west but very similar weather to the beacons due to the height above sea level, I see someone from hereford has nectar going in - I was in hereford last week - about 6 weeks ahead of us due to lower warmer ground.
So frustrating the cherry trees are all flowering now, does anyone know at what temperature the cherry will yield nectar? Same for hawthorn?

Watched foragers as they visited our laurel counted 20 bees at one point which was impressive considering the weather.

M

does anyone know at what temperature the cherry will yield nectar? Same for hawthorn?

Hawthorn...hot and humid.
Rare conditions for the time of year that it flowers
When it does yield nectar drips from the flowers and you'll know there is a flow on as the bushes are covered in bees.
So they say.........

Hawthorn...hot and humid.
Rare conditions for the time of year that it flowers
When it does yield nectar drips from the flowers and you'll know there is a flow on as the bushes are covered in bees.
So they say.........

Fat chance, methinks

M

Checked on my bees as been a week since last inspection. I didn't see either queens in my last inspections but both seen this time, also marked the one as it was wherein off.

Plenty of bias and what did surprise me there was lots of fresh nectar clogging the hive up. Why do they store it in the brood nest when they have the space upstairs!

I put a new frame in on second hive few weeks ago an was drawn out fast noticed this today on that frame. Is this a sign of failing queen?

null_zps3f138379.jpg

Photo of queen in other hive that's just been marked

null_zps0da3c5f5.jpg

Hi herefordshirehoney,
I think it is a sign of a queen desperately running out of space to lay together with possibly some wax month larvae - judging by lines of empty cells. You need empty drawn frames urgently if they are all like that!

Dressed up in my armour and went off to inspect my Amityville bees along with a few other colonies.

Oh dear. They saw me coming.

Having wrestled the two supers off and moved the brood box about 10 metres away, I found 10-12 capped QCs and, fortunately, the Queen was still present. Evidently, the weather had prevented them from leaving.

AS'd *the colony and made up two nucs with decent QCs in each.

It was just this frame others seemed fine sorry didn't make that clear. Other hive is now on double brood but this one seems slightly behind. Even know that it's filling brood frames now.

A lot of us are in the same boat it would seem!
Swarm - I'm not far from Brecon, about half an hour north west but very similar weather to the beacons due to the height above sea level, I see someone from hereford has nectar going in - I was in hereford last week - about 6 weeks ahead of us due to lower warmer ground.
So frustrating the cherry trees are all flowering now, does anyone know at what temperature the cherry will yield nectar? Same for hawthorn?
I know a beek in Upper Chapel, he was still feeding fondant only a couple of weeks ago.
16th May and no signs of May blossom down here.

Looked at the sweet chestnuts today , flowers are on their way , next week they should be out .

Look away now if you're having bad weather...

A lovely May afternoon at my apiary - reached 16 c and mostly sunny. The Hawthorn is just coming into blossom and forget-me=nots abundant. I've done AS on my hives and all look normal with lots of happy bees everywhere.

Sorry! but it makes a change, almost like it used to be.

Dressed up in my armour and went off to inspect my Amityville bees along with a few other colonies.

Oh dear. They saw me coming.

Having wrestled the two supers off and moved the brood box about 10 metres away, I found 10-12 capped QCs and, fortunately, the Queen was still present. Evidently, the weather had prevented them from leaving.

AS'd *the colony and made up two nucs with decent QCs in each.

Are you sure you want to increase from this hive if they are so bad tempered?

null_zps3f138379.jpg

The brood looks OK to me, and the straight tracks I think you will find follow the wires in the foundation.

Not sure, but is there a queen cell hanging from the lower right of the frame?
Sure does look like something under the bottom bar ...

... and I suspect its foundation wiring rather than moth that would account for the straight lines of empty cells in that pattern.

Latest posts

Back