What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
removed the last of the supers and extracted 60 lb of honey.
put 'apiguard' on all hives
started another gallon of mead

all in all, a good day :cool:

Checked the girls are ok and still taking in stores, combined one -Q colony with one very good strong one and to my surprise found that the buggers have filled up the deep box with stores in 9 days so now that colony are on 3 boxes going into the winter. This is a new one to me and I`ll keep a close eye and see how they overwinter.

Started my api life treatment on my remaining colonies they`re both very strong so I`m optimistic about next year, I`m planning to break them both down and requeen with new majesties next spring

A very nice day at the apiary

Bunny

All supers off now. Made a start on formic acid pads on two apiaries , two more to go .
Most are showing as big a brood nest as they have had all season . Only a few should need feeding which is a blessing .

Stood watching the girls kicking out the drones.

Winter on it's way.

Stood watching the bees on four of the hives foraging like mad - clouds of bes around each hive zipping back and fore like bullets and the whole area abuzz I'll be checking the supers in a day or so and deciding when totake the honey off :D

Watched ladys flying overhead so busy checked hives tonight roaring nicely looked like a good day on the Heather ,checking supers tomorrow add if needed .Sunny here today good day was had.

I checked the Springfield’s after finding at last inspection a fair amount of drone brood. Putting this down to the unusual weather so not worrying to much. Very little varroa on the drone that I took out but have put apiguard on today.

The Everett’s I have left hoping they will cap my whole four frames of honey. Four frames well I’m happy as did not expect any this year as I started late. Just need to find a nice man that lives by the sea that does not mind getting his equipment dirty for so little.

Checked test frame put into hive with no eggs/larvae and there were no QCs made. Found the queen, who is probably still a virgin as I suspect she emerged around 27th August, while I was swimming with turtles in Cyprus :)

Another hive has gone Q- about a week ago and bees very disgruntled. I knocked down all QCs I could find and will probably combine it with a Q+ hive as this one only has 3 frames of sealed brood.

My "good" hive got its first tray of Apiguard today.

Found a swarm which I put in a nuc with 3 frames of foundation and fed 1:1 syrup. Not sure yet if it's one of mine but suspect it almost certainly is.

September isn't meant to be like this is it?!

checked one hive that were foraging like mad, starting to cap the super thats on, wonder what they are bringing in? all others have treatments on.

Colonies still swarming

I have no idea if this is due to over feeding early and the weather or simply the local bee keepers not inspecting as often as they should be but I'm still getting calls to collect swarms albeit small swarms.

West02.jpg

west00.jpg

West05.jpg

If they are still in the nuc at the weekend and the queen has started laying then I'll do everything I can to help them make it through Winter otherwise they will be combined with another colony.

27th Swarm of the year collected.

27!
and they are still swarming. :eek:

I have a feeling that winter will be late this year

All supers off now. Made a start on formic acid pads on two apiaries , two more to go .
Most are showing as big a brood nest as they have had all season . Only a few should need feeding which is a blessing .

Yesterday removed all supers and treated 2 x 14x12 with Hivemakers Thymol treatment, the ladies didn't like it!

Swarm to the hive like bees

Lovely day today - bees were out and about early and still foraging madly but decided to forego an inspection and go for a spin to St David's cathedral with SWMBO (after visiting the family vaults at great expense at Westminster over the weekend, thought I'd check out the others - Edmund Tudor and the lord Rhys ap Gruffudd) Guess what? no admission fee! :hurray: (but the request a donation of only 3 pounds - needless to say I willingly gave more :))
Saw the Pembrokeshire St David's day banner in the cloister which had a definite bee theme - bees being important in Welsh mythology and indicative of the Welsh diaspora. The call 'Swarm to the Hive like bees' is a clarion call for Welsh people to return to Wales.
Had to share this with someone :D

http://www.stdavidscathedral.org.uk/index.php?id=934

You could have had some of my honey on sale at Oriel y Parc.
Wonderful John Piper exhibition on there at the moment too
:)

Spent a nice couple of hours at Village Girls apiary, having tea and watching the girls go in and out. Very pleasant, sunny and warm, thats just village girl! Chatted about bees and put the world to rights. Nice.

Inspected and fed the bee's, was given a feeder that is an Ashforth feeder, but the bee's come up in the centre. The only thing I found disturbing was there was about 200 bee's dead in the tray.

I'm not familiar with this type of feeder but if bees are entering the reservoir and drowning in numbers something is wrong.

Very pleasant, sunny and warm, thats just village girl! Chatted about bees and put the world to rights. Nice.

I noticed there had been an improvement in the world today.

Chris

Latest posts

Back