What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The swarm that I collected yesterday evening had moved back to their tree, so I had another go this morning & will check later on.

Checked "good hive" to ensure swarm wasn't from there, which is wasn't as queen was present.

Noticed more wasps & found wasp nest about 15m from hives.

Inspected and fed the bee's, was given a feeder that is an Ashforth feeder, but the bee's come up in the centre. The only thing I found disturbing was there was about 200 bee's dead in the tray.

That'll be a miller feeder :)

Hi All,
I inspected my recently combined prime and cast from the same mother hive and marked my first queen. I marked her white because I think and hope she was from the prime swarm as the other one was duff and ES.

I'm not familiar with this type of feeder but if bees are entering the reservoir and drowning in numbers something is wrong.

I noticed there had been an improvement in the world today.

Chris

Yeah I think I may have to modify by putting some fine mesh to cover the gap or something, any suggestions?

That'll be a miller feeder :)[/QUOTE

Thank you.

Did my rounds... glorious sunny day but no forage coming in

fed eight colonies ambrosia 2:1 and checked the varroa drop, most very light even with apiguard on

checked the varroa drop on another nine colonies on three sites and also drench them with Nozevit

and had a pleasant liquid lunch at the Green Dragon on the river Colne...why wasn't the summer like this!!!!!

and then checked an early august swarm, queenright ..added some apiguard and will move them from the isolation after i get a second opinion of the brood pattern as the brood has a diploid brood pattern and EFB is in the area it came from

Last edited:
Checked mating nucs. Only 2 looking any good. Put on syrup and another thymol dose at 2 apiaries. Updated Beebase and felt grumpy about another AFB alert.

Extracted one super's worth of frames from two colonies, saving the uncapped frames in the freezer to give back to the bees after thymol.
Why is it everybody likes to watch/help uncap and spin only to disappear entirely when it's time to clean up after!

Extracted one super's worth of frames from two colonies, saving the uncapped frames in the freezer to give back to the bees after thymol.
Why is it everybody likes to watch/help uncap and spin only to disappear entirely when it's time to clean up after!

Where is the like button ;-)

Yeah I think I may have to modify by putting some fine mesh to cover the gap or something, any suggestions?

That'll be a miller feeder :)[/QUOTE

Thank you.

An offcut from an OMF mesh would do the trick (all millers should have a cover on) May have a bit spare but won't be passing Newport for a while as I'm on leave

Put clearer boards on ready to take off supers sometime tomorrow

Got called out to my out apiary on a farm. The farmer's wife said there were thousands of bees flying about near her cottage door, and she was letting it out for the weekend and didn't want to put the guests off.

I rushed out expecting a swarm, in a state of shock as my bees have space and so forth, but when I got there it was just that the ivy covering the cottage was in flower and my bees were all over it. They were having a ball.

However, the loud buzz and high number of stinging insects seemed to be causing the farmer's wife to become quite concerned. Luckily guests didn't arrive until about 6:30pm and bees were mostly back in the hives.

I think they are going to give the ivy (virginia creeper) a severe hacking tomorrow morning, at least around doors/windows. Such a shame. I will have to get over there early tomorrow to seal up my hives for a while, as they don't fancy cutting it when covered in bees.

I hope they don't ask me to move the apiary.....

Did an inspection and applied API life var no. 3.

The queen has totally stopped laying. No eggs, no larva. There is sealed brood so that times it to the start of the treatment. Hope she starts again in a fortnight when it's finished.

Large varoa drop over the week, 100+ from the occasional 1 before the treatment so it's working.

An offcut from an OMF mesh would do the trick (all millers should have a cover on) May have a bit spare but won't be passing Newport for a while as I'm on leave

Thanks for the offer, I got some coming in the post as we speak.

Ive not even contemplated putting on the thymol

my hives are certaining bringing in alot of nectar, a super filled in a week on some hives and theres no ivy in flower.

i think im going to continue letting them fill the supers until i see some ivy in flower and then remove all my supers so they can store this for themselves. Thats when the thymol will be going on too

Last edited:
added another 1/2 gallon of 2-1 syrup to the only colony that need it ;)

Started Varroa treatment and gave them some sugar syrup, the little devils was in hell of a mood today started on me as soon as I got the crown board off.

Got called out to my out apiary on a farm. The farmer's wife said there were thousands of bees flying about near her cottage door, and she was letting it out for the weekend and didn't want to put the guests off.

I rushed out expecting a swarm, in a state of shock as my bees have space and so forth, but when I got there it was just that the ivy covering the cottage was in flower and my bees were all over it. They were having a ball.

My "swarm" call on Thursday was also just bees enthusiastically working the Ivy that was in full sun (and evidently flower) in a South-facing hedge!

Well, I started my first ever Thymol treatment (Hivemaker and Admin variation). It really got to me, but I cannot say I have noticed any difference in the bees yet. A bit more active which I but down to sugar rush - feeding. They might be a bit buzzier. I did see a live Varroa mite before I put it on though. It shall be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

Latest posts

Back