What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you need to put the crown board between the BB and Super?

The theory is that the bees will see the frames above the board as outside the hive and will then remove any leftover honey and take it down into the BB, leaving a nice clean frame ready for storage.
Cazza

Did weekly inspection on both hives. Both hives were packed with bees hive 1 seemed busier, also hive 2 seems happiest its been its temperament compared to hive 1 was noticeable during inspections, now its just as good as hive 1 (mind you even then they are good as good really).

Forgot to say saw a drone being kicked out!

I did do a snap of my queen in hive 2, im told its a strain of buckfast anybody able to confirm that from photo?

queen.jpg

Last edited:
I like how all the hairs on the workers are pale blonde

iPhone and it works through gloves :)

:) ta

My phone camera is only 3mb I think .. But too complicated to use whilst doing anything else. Have got hd video though tht I could set up and grab stills from .. Been toying with the idea for info purposes!

Why do you need to put the crown board between the BB and Super?

So they treat the wet frames as a food source and don't start to incorporate them into the colony....did I forget to mention also putting a QE on?

Last edited:
Supers off and hivemakers Autumn thymol treatment on. Fingers crossed that we shall have sun and then they can fill up the boxes with ivy, fireweed and honeydew honey and I won't have to spend a fortune on sugar.

I learned yet another lesson in humility today.

I fulfilled a promise to show my hive to our neighbours and their kids.

I now know I'm too inexperienced to act as teacher, entertainer and beekeeper at the same time.

I did a rubbish examination of my hive and haven't a clue what I really saw. It was a confused picture and I should have been concentrating on thinking it through.

Pretty irresponsible, really.

Dusty.

:iagree::smilielol5:
As I have already mentioned the odd hundred or so times- WE ARE AN ALLOTMENT SITE, so why the chuff do TV licensing keep sending us letters about getting a licence? is it the Bee Bee C. Honey by the pound, we have no Address but at least we have honey. lol:willy_nilly:

I learned yet another lesson in humility today.

I fulfilled a promise to show my hive to our neighbours and their kids.

I now know I'm too inexperienced to act as teacher, entertainer and beekeeper at the same time.

I did a rubbish examination of my hive and haven't a clue what I really saw. It was a confused picture and I should have been concentrating on thinking it through.

Pretty irresponsible, really.

Dusty.

Don't worry about it - if they are anything like the kids/friends I have shown they are so fascinated by what they see that the beeks inexperience doesn't matter - they see your enthusiasm and care for the bees and take that away from it. No-one ever rememebers all they are told - so just hope that the things they remember are the things you got righht :) :)

Don't worry about it - if they are anything like the kids/friends I have shown they are so fascinated by what they see that the beeks inexperience doesn't matter - they see your enthusiasm and care for the bees and take that away from it. No-one ever rememebers all they are told - so just hope that the things they remember are the things you got righht :) :)

Thank you, Elaine.

Looking back, I'm aware I didn't pay them much attention. They did indeed seem to enjoy it. I hope one of their kids might take an interest in time.

But it's the bees that got a raw deal.

Dusty.

Usual stuff...

Inspected my new (one month old) colony in its WBC hive.

Examined all the frames in the brood box (no supers yet). Saw eggs, brood of different sizes, pollen cells, honey, capped brood and honey cells, lots of workers doing their figure of eight dances, drones...and at last THE QUEEN, doing her stuff unworried by my observation of her. She was supposed to have been marked. Nor were her wings clipped, as the handover notes suggest. Could she be a new queen, I wonder?

Bodged a fix to stop bees entering the hive through the ill-fitting mesh floor. Hope it works.

And joined Beekeeping Forum!

Latest posts

Back