What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fed my split hive; hefted the others and they're actually quite heavy, which is a surprise, they really are hardy when it comes to foraging in rain. All quite good-natured despite the continuing dull weather. One good day yesterday had them crowding out my rather soggy and wind-battered borage patch.

Checked my neighbour's hives - one full, one tiny colony with a "spare" queen. The tiny one was too tiny: I don't think it will survive, but you never know if there's a queen there, so I put some more food on. The main hive was completely empty of stores - Aaagh! Fed them and retreated, surrounded by irritable followers.

What a difference a week makes...

Had a queen from someone who found they didn't need it :D Great thought I - 6 hives: 1 Q+ all teh others struggling...Today? Arrgghh! 4 hives Q+, 1 given the Queen and then inspected the one that was Q+ last week?? Q- this week - opened the hive and within seconds was covered in bees - not nice. Will wait for all queens to start laying properly and transfer a frame of bees after dressing for battle of course :eek:

Yesterday went through everything at work . All ok but one determined to swarm .
Left them to it with one cell .

Was going to do the rest today as the forecast was good for here with the rain 60 miles North of us .
So far since 7am 7.2mm of wet stuff that i think is rain !!
Useless , the lot of em . The more sophisticated the forecasting system the lousier the accuracy . They(Met Orifice) still had us showing no rain at 9am and it was piddling . Sky , BBC all the same . Glamorous short skirted and utterly useless , and the women are no better .

Ah feel better for that .
G

The Met Office is based 12 miles from here - and our weather hasn't been right since they came!!

New apiary

Today hubby and myself strimmed and prepared my new apiary site, 10 miles closer than the last so much less traveling/petrol costs. Also more gardens nearby so more forage around. Looking to move 3 hives on Monday.

:auto:

I'm chuffed!

This morning, a) having seen the queen, b) I managed to catch the queen, and c) I marked her yellow!! yay!! First time I've done this, and with my bare hands too!

Can't wait till the next inspection to see if she's still alive!! I'm optimistic!!

nipped out to garden to give nuc some feed before the predicted deluge......will it ever stop being a foul summer....

Yup, Red weather warning issued, so off to do the same, and add some more slabs to the top!

Been told off for taking over my wifes hobby, so I think I'll be backing out gracelessly and not getting involved any more, cos if I keep helping, I'll keep getting dragged in and finding things out that don't agree with what she has been taught (or not taught!)

Tidied up around my now 2, hives. Had my suit on but the bees didn't give a flying hoot about me! Too busy foraging to bee worried by me. Will have a peek in a weeks time. Only rained twice today, once for 10 hours and again for 14.

Rain...

Still trying to work out how the set up a cover for my hives, otherwise I just won't get in there if this rain doesn't stop. Should I be worried that I haven't managed to look inside for three weeks now.?:rolleyes:

yep lol

bet your more worried now

I spent the day working managed to miss the rain which hasn't stopped since lol

Couldn't do much in the rai so repaired the door to the redundant outside toilet - now converted to store room for beekeeping bits and pieces (The bits that it's safe for SWMBO to see) Then loaded up the hire car with purchases from the MM sale made on behalf of Pete D which I shall hand over on arriving at Heathrow airport - flying to Holland to pick up our boat which is in the yard undergoing repairs. Left a big empty gap in the chamber of secrets........Hmm - when's the next sales ? :Angel_anim:

Went to pub for a pint yesterday as it was raining.....again......Got chatting to a local ex farmer's wife who still has 5 acres..........of wild meadow!! That if I wanted can keep some bees on!! well, would be rude not to and only 5 mins drive from home:)

Went to pub for a pint yesterday as it was raining.....again......Got chatting to a local ex farmer's wife who still has 5 acres..........of wild meadow!! That if I wanted can keep some bees on!! well, would be rude not to and only 5 mins drive from home:)

result!!:party:, that's why you should always go to the pub

Trying to teach them all how to swim.
Anyone with a queen for sale that produces bee's with water wings them I'm interested. :)

Still trying to work out how the set up a cover for my hives, otherwise I just won't get in there if this rain doesn't stop. Should I be worried that I haven't managed to look inside for three weeks now.?:rolleyes:
Depends on how they were when you left them. If they were packed in and in swarm mode, you my have lost quite a few bees, as any break in the weather will see them off on a mission. However, if all was well in their world and if they had adequate stores, you may be OK.

Three weeks is quite a long inspection gap at this time of year, epecially in times of weak foraging. I personally would prefer to open the hives, albeit briefly to check on general welfare. Rain does not prohibit inspection!

Spent the last six hours in hospital having had 16 stings. 1 on head, 1 on face, 3 on shoulder,1 on neck, 1 on chest and the rest on arms. no idea how they managed it but they got inside suit. looked like i had rolled in stinging nettles and due to sting on face and neck was struggling to breath so had adrealine, steriods, iv piriton, and 1ltr iv fluid. not fun at all.

Latest posts

Back