What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Returned from a long car journey with a Nuc full of bees.

Now in position in the Apiary. Now its time to put all the theory into practice :eek:

Been a damp, windy and miserable day here.........but still the bees were on a mission, flying in all but the heaviest of downpours - clouds of them around the hives and most flying in one direction. ' Bit of a green cross code session stepping across the gap between the lawn and the greenhouse to get out of the main garden and check up on the nuc with the caged queen, managed to find a decent half hour so I could quickly pop the roof, make sure all was O.K. and take the tape off the fondant plug - fingers crossed now.
Back home early (and sober!) from the club in readiness for an early start tomorrow and the Maisy Moore sale. Whoopee, more retail therapy :D

Returned from a long car journey with a Nuc full of bees.

Now in position in the Apiary. Now its time to put all the theory into practice :eek:

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new bees, don't hesitate to ask for help we all need help sometimes.

found that I've got a new queen in a nuc box ( qc sealed on 31st May) laying a nice brood pattern. :cheers:

Added a fourth super to #1 then put in some lazily therapeutic shed time cleaning old frames for re-use and making a dummy board. :)

Noooooooooo..... went to MM apiary sale. Filled the car with various bits of cedar (smells like beekeepers' paradise). For some reason that can only be attributable to impulsiveness, bought one of their queens.

Ahhhh a beekeeping weekend is upon us.

Spent most of the late morning and early afternoon chopping and cropping from my TBH to a national. What a bloody mess! You definitely need another pair of hands. Loads of bees, eggs and stores. (Nicked a frame for myself. My first taste will bee tomorrow:drool5:) Didn't see the Queen as I was too busy. I will have a look for her next week. Left a lot of waste comb for the bees to rob back and clean up. No stings either! Sweated my nuts off in the bee suit as it was about 20c in the sun and a lot hotter inside zipped up. Fingers crossed I done it right and didn't squish the madam:eek:

Decided to have a look at my hive with the transparent crown board, without wearing my smock. Boy did I regret it! Got stung 3 times on my neck as I tried to escape as fast as I could. A big lesson to be learnt1.!
I think this weather is driving them mad, as well as us.

Sweated my nuts off in the bee suit as it was about 20c in the sun

Positively chilly, perhaps you would like a week with me? I have to dry my kit every night and it ain't raining.

Chris

It wasn't today, but this is the first chance I've had to post amid making insurance claims for broken windows, missing roof tiles and a written off car!

Thursday's event was easily the worst hail storm I've ever experienced and when it did finally ease off enough to venture outside I wandered down to the apiary to see the extent of the damage. Amazed to find the hives OK, although the bees were clustering around the entrances. On reflection they must have thought they were under attack, hence their impatience with me and my subsequent hasty retreat!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-eJ9pXcCvc[/ame]

Hope everyone else caught up in it escaped lightly.

Trying to work out how - when our hives don't go ANYWHERE - we have managed to lose a national varroa floor...:(...I feel another order coming on...Boo...I also feel incredibly stupid for not being able to find it!!:banghead:

'Left a lot of waste comb for the bees to rob back and clean up. '

Might be safer on top of the crown board...or in a frame feeder...rather than allowing robbing?

'Left a lot of waste comb for the bees to rob back and clean up. '

Might be safer on top of the crown board...or in a frame feeder...rather than allowing robbing?

Point taken! Job for the morning now. Thanks.

A general inspection to see if my newly mated queen has started laying well and she has although I didn't see her.
Swapped the frames from one super to another because the beespace in the 1st one was set up incorrectly. Also changed the castelation hight in all my supers because they were set up wrong too.
Cut the grass around my hive and it's neighbours.
Ordered some new gloves (rubber rather than leather), some new castelation strips, some porter bee escapes in readiness and a couple of spare queen excluders so I can take mine off and give it a good clean.

Latest posts

Back