What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen a bee for weeks, was starting to get worried, but administered the OA to all 3 hives, fondant checked/added as necessary, all seemed ok, lots of bees, nicely clustered. Checked the board on hive in the garden today, 30 mites. Mixed up a batch of Hivemakers thymol mix, went according to plan. Making up a couple of brood boxes later. I feel worryingly organised but I'm sure it won't last long. :)

Made 15 Queen excluders, 3 legged stands, 3 sloping stands and painted most of 3 Paynes poly 14 x 12 (very nice). Hope to do similar tomorrow.

Checked Oxalic boards a week after treatment. 200+ on one, 100+ on another. Do folks think it wise/necessary to do a second treatment sometime soon?

No.

You'r treatment is working fine.

If you do it again you will kill your bees. :chillpill: :)

Did the oxalic treatment this morning. 7 seams of bees, very active. Even saw a few out flying this afternoon. Still appears to be plenty of stores too.

Hefted hives and tidied up under hive slabs, put varroa boards in.

Checked fondant in three nucs, started the ground clearance to move the alternative hives on the bottom "stands" away from a tree which shades them in the summer too early, OAd the last two commercials.

Treated all six hives with oxalic acid, all ok but for one that only has 2 seems of bees, plenty of stores still left in all,
Replaced 4 more pieces of glass in the big greenhouse, at this rate if the winds keep up i'll be needing more, fences still intact "touch wood".

Last edited:
had to move a hive ( with colony of bees in it). so heavy 2 of us had to carry it between us!!

All now OA'd except one that seems to be failing ?Q failure as I used Apiguard in August to good result. Lots dead in that hive - only one seam so left to dwindle and will seal up till able to clean up in Spring.

Bees all out flying and bringing in pollen - what a mad winter...?throw the books out the window!

Lost 7 lots of fencing and a pergola- the grape vine still intact!

got up to apiary about 8.30am to start treating with OA. Odd bee coming and going did 4 then the sun got above the hill in front bathing me in slightly warm sunshine then they all seem to wake and i gave up. When will they get the message its winter.

Made 15 Queen excluders, 3 legged stands, 3 sloping stands and painted most of 3 Paynes poly 14 x 12 (very nice). Hope to do similar tomorrow.

Are those three-legged stands, or three stands with legs? If the former, do you have a design?

Made 15 Queen excluders,

Nic,
What equipment do you have for making queen excluders,hydraulic equipment if the the slotted zinc type,or do you make the Herzog wire type? or do you make them from from bamboo or plastic.

Last edited:
done all the OA treatment over Xmas, bees was not in a tight cluster but most were in the hive tho. been replcing the roof of the beeshed as it were leaking and waxing frames over the past week, now got to pick up and relocate 17 hives and all the equipment from a beek who has given up sadly. Not enough hours in the day already.
Next job is to finish waxing more frames and get the nuc's ready before spring comes but have the feeling that its here already!

Treated with OA just after Christmas. Nothing left to do now in the apiaries, all are nice and heavy. The bees are flying on the milder days, which is nice to see.

ordinary four legged cedar stands and Herzog wire based QEs :cool:

Back