What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to walk past the bee hives to reach the chickens to feed them and could see all hives had bees flying, plus hundreds of bees flying to the wet grass near the hives to bring in the rain drops that had settled on it...

I though it was only Britain that got storms and gales Roger! :) chris

5 of the 15 were bought in from Th**nes (just 5 pounds so wasn't worth messing about), still playiing with how to secure them. Trying staples atm, wondered about epoxy. Did a quick pin and that looks okay but has to be trimmed the other end as only about 6mm. What do people use? Did wonder about buying a new Stanley stapler with basic 12mm / 15mm nail facility. Others were other types being renewed.

Went to the association apiary to OA all the hives, as you can imagine with the differing skill levels some hives were shaken about a bit - at one point struggling to see through the veil for the bees on it (nice cooling breeze from their fanning though!) Got stung through the bee suit and T-shirt just below the kidneys - just this moment found the sting actually - hanging off my shirt.
Out of 11 hives - one dead-out. the rest seem in fine fettle though.

Treat my 2 hives with oxalic for the first time today. Was attacked by a few guard bees and managed to get stung!

Drones?!

Treated the bees with Oxalic Acid today and amongst the foraging bees I noticed a few drones coming and going on cleansing flights.......is it normal to see drones in winter? Should I feel blessed or concerned! :)

Checked all colonies for store and gave fondant to those running low.

Not much to do beewise having done my OA drop count.

Lovely weather - 15C max - lots of bee activity both around hives and on the mespillus blossom.

couple of pictures taken whilst walking Sally dog - Monte Cimone (view to SW from our drive), neighbour's main apiary (including good crop of ladders ready for swarms) and finally, my apiary in the sun (sorry, Alps in background didn't show up well so cropped out).

Love the swarm collecting ladders, although surprised they would need more than one at a time...

Alymac,

is it normal to see drones in winter?

Not normal but not rare. OK is OK; not OK is likely the end of the colony unless strong enough to get an early laying queen to replace the exixting one.

Little you can do about it now, so assume it is alright and stop worrying because worrying will not make a jot of difference.

With the weather we have had this last autumn and into winter, there may be a lot of colonies retaining drones. It may be your particular strain of bee; they may be a recently superceded queen in there. There may be a queen that is just beginning to fail and she is still laying mostly worker brood. Observe and keep fingers crossed.

I had one colony which had a drone laying queen in the spring last winter. It was no problem to me, but it could be for you (with just the one colony).

Welcome to the forum (first post but been a member a while, I see). A location and hive type would be good as there may be someone local to you to get you out of the problem if, indeed, it materialises.

RAB

...ladders,...surprised they would need more than one at a time...

Nah, need to tie them together to get more height!!:eek:

RAB

Topped up fondant, checked varroa drop after new year's day OA treatment (pretty light mite drop - which is nice) before securing all straps (and straightening the one on the nuc so's I don't get another row off Susbees). As i'm back to work tomorrow

Topped up fondant, checked varroa drop after new year's day OA treatment (pretty light mite drop - which is nice) before securing all straps (and straightening the one on the nuc so's I don't get another row off Susbees). As i'm back to work tomorrow

On the contrary, thanks for reminding me I need to count tomorrow...;)

Did a full count of the varroa drop...1.2.3.4.5.6....etc cleaned the boards and re sprayed with one cal kitchen oil spray to make the boards sticky

quite light mite counts ,below 100 for 10days, some as low as 30........except the one that i forgot to put on the second tub of apiquard

The hive with the NZ Italian queen had lots of wax mirrors flakes in the debris, what are they building? hope it is not queen cells :p

Alymac,

is it normal to see drones in winter?

Not normal but not rare. OK is OK; not OK is likely the end of the colony unless strong enough to get an early laying queen to replace the exixting one.

Little you can do about it now, so assume it is alright and stop worrying because worrying will not make a jot of difference.

With the weather we have had this last autumn and into winter, there may be a lot of colonies retaining drones. It may be your particular strain of bee; they may be a recently superceded queen in there. There may be a queen that is just beginning to fail and she is still laying mostly worker brood. Observe and keep fingers crossed.

I had one colony which had a drone laying queen in the spring last winter. It was no problem to me, but it could be for you (with just the one colony).

Welcome to the forum (first post but been a member a while, I see). A location and hive type would be good as there may be someone local to you to get you out of the problem if, indeed, it materialises.

RAB
Thanks for the advice RAB. It is a two year old queen currently managing two colonies that were united in October. The colony is a double 14x12 until I can split it in spring! Her colony was huge before the unification so I'm hoping the colony has kept drones because it can afford to due to size of colony and hive. Like you say, nothing can be done at the moment and I don't want to start going through them to find out. They have visible capped stores and was v heavy when hefted so appear to be doing fine as far as I can tell. 10 seams of bees when treated with OA. They also continue to display their usual good temperament. Fingers crossed for first spring inspection!

Temps at 12.5c, no clouds in the sky, barro at 1035.5 hpa, and a gentle breeze.............Bees EVERY where!!! Water runs, poo runs, pollen coming back................Me no likey this vewy much

Latest posts

Back