What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks MA, glad it's not unique. Not OAing mine, (I know, I know!) having done the Hivemaker thymol routine and had 0-4 daily drop whenever I've checked all season, no increase with treatment. You can all say "Told you so!" in Spring and I'll hang my head in shame if I've not done my best by the bees, but made a judgement and this is it. Someone stand up for me, please! :)

Haven't seen a bee for weeks; discouraged by all your reports of activity :hurray:

For what its worth, one of my colonies has been like that. Local mongrels as against 2 Buckfast(ish) colonies who were leaping around at every opportunity.

They soon woke up when I dribbled oxalic on them

That's funny, all my queens are Buckies - two locally mated and one Buckfast mated. The pure Buckies are so settled in I've hardly seen them for two months (they didn't move much even when I OA'd them.)
Of the other two, one hive the same as the mother and one they come bouncing out as soon as they hear me

Oh, and those bally fly tippers have been around again - now thinking of building a 4 frame extractor with built in filter and settling tank with the bits of scrap stainless steel they've dumped in the shed!!:biggrinjester:

HN,

A few varroa at this time of the year is neither here nor there. Far too late for any remedial benefit now - apart from them possibly 'limping through' from winter to spring if serious damage has already been done. Plenty of other alternatives for later next spring/summer.

Remember, 'clean' healthy bees going into winter is far more important than dribbling over them in January. Perhaps puts the unimportance of oxalic in context - it's more to do with avoiding other varroa treatments later in spring/early summer, than actually getting them through the winter.

Regards, RAB

well started making up 14x12 frames in the garage because i had found Nosema in August so will do a shook or bailey changes on to clean foundation on most of my hives

Despite a good afternoons work now that i have the straps off the bundles there looks to be more unmade frames than when Istarted..how many do you get on a pallet?

it would be so much easier if i only had one hive

Last edited:
Thanks MA, glad it's not unique. Not OAing mine, (I know, I know!) having done the Hivemaker thymol routine and had 0-4 daily drop whenever I've checked all season, no increase with treatment. You can all say "Told you so!" in Spring and I'll hang my head in shame if I've not done my best by the bees, but made a judgement and this is it. Someone stand up for me, please! :)
Like wise . I'm not OA ing this year and likewise I used Hivemakers oasis jobby :)
VM

Like wise . I'm not OA ing this year and likewise I used Hivemakers oasis jobby :)
VM

I did OA mine this year, i didnt like the results i got from Apigaurd (i had over 400 mites fall after OA treatment this year and very few from the Apigaurd). So today i bought all the bits needed to do Hivemakers Oasis for treating this comming year

So today i bought all the bits needed to do Hivemakers Oasis for treating this comming year

I am prepared in a similar fashion :)
Will make up my own oxalic too, first asking the forum for the best recipe ;)just in case I do decide to use it again.

Just OA'ed mine this morning (my first chance due to a busy work schedule and horrible weather). First hive has a big tight cluster right at the top and I thought the second was empty until a couple popped up to see what was happening - then my son told me to listen and there was a deep bass buzz coming from way down in the hive (they have supers under). Both hives are still nicely heavy so fingers crossed I hope to get them both through the winter.

Last edited:
just been down the garden to clean the chickens out. while there sat and watched the bees for a littlewhile. both hives very busy, lots of coming and going and just about every bee coming back has pollen loads some a small amount, some crashing with to much.

was thinking in spring i would do a pollen pattie but with the amount they are bringing in i dont think i will need to.

Went down the garden to re-affix a loose bit of screening (about 10' from hive1) and one girl came over and wanted me to move along!

Walked off about 20' to see if she was going to be persistent and sure enough, a minute later she found me again, so decided to leave them to it. I did consider squishing her for being over-enthusiastic, but figured I'd give her the benefit of the doubt.

I am wearing a bright orange jumper - I wonder if that made me more conspicuous to them?

Well the garden bees seemed to have survived my attempts to OA them last Sunday, both colonies busy. They ignored me watching a solitary h'bee getting some water(?) from a hive strap and just went about their business.

Checked Oxalic boards a week after treatment. 200+ on one, 100+ on another. Do folks think it wise/necessary to do a second treatment sometime soon?

Mad weather - thursday 15C, bees all over the place (several attempting to get indoors). Then and inch of snow at 10pm. Yesterday cold with bitter wind (loads of window panels blown out of veranda overnight). Today sunny, 10+ degress and bees again back on the mespillus blossom.

Took out monitoring boards at d6 post OA. 1-100 mites, median 40. OH pleased with the low drop (1) in her nuc.

Been down checking fondant . bees alive and well . None Flying but very evident :) (Good old AMM type)
VM

Made 35 top bars complete with comb guides.
Weather dull, wet and coldish.. the outdoor bee today is a dead bee.

finally repaired fence..... think i will redo it completely in the summer.
still fondant left so just left them too it.

Latest posts

Back