What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

I like to combine two of my fave hobbies :)

tbh The 1st shot was almost pure luck as I was checking the fondant level on the first hive I had several bees land on my jacket and just lined the shot up as best I could!

Now why can't I take photos like these? maybe... the crap camera....the lack of knowledge...the lack of patience...oh I don't know...just wish I could! thanks YB
TBRNoTB

Now why can't I take photos like these? maybe... the crap camera....the lack of knowledge...the lack of patience...oh I don't know...just wish I could! thanks YB
TBRNoTB

Admittedly I only tend to post my best shots but personally I would say any half decent camera is fine, I have a big semi-pro DSLR aswell but always get the best shots with my little camera. It's just a case of taking loads of photos and reviewing them and trying again!

Went through 2 hives in my garden today seen the queen in 1, first time I have seen her, how could i ever of missed her, she stands out so much.:party:

Today for the first time I did an AS. Well two actually.

The first was chaos. Saw the charged queen cells, then found the frame the queen was on.

Popped the queen frame into a nuc, and shut up both and got out thew new BB, with its frames of foundation and set it up. Took the queen frame out of the nuc, but she was not on it, nor was she in the nuc. Put the frame into the new BB, and closed it up ( thinking that at least there were young eggs on that frame). Sorted out the QC's in the old box.

Moved onto hive 2 - nowhere near as strong with play cups only.

Opened hive 3, loads of charged queen cells. This time I was ready. Closed it up and got out another new BB and set it up. Found the queen, popped her in, then sorted out the the QC's in the old BB, and closed them both up.

My mate suggested we look in hive 1 before packing up. There she was, quite happy - what a relief.

Mercifully all our queens are marked but not clipped.

Really did look for her in the nuc. She must have hidden well, or actually have flown off, and then came back to her old location.

Anyway all ended well. One very relieved beekeeper, who now knows the best way to do an AS!

Been desperate to open strong colony all week but unable cos of work commitments until today. Found 10 sealed QC's. Panic. Luckily read Poly Hives excellent post on A/S (twice). Couldn't find queen, so split colony into three with queen cells in each following Poly's excellent "Plan B". Think old queen gone but may check in four days for eggs. Plan to unite two brood boxes later and keep a nuc for insurance. Where would I be without this forum?!
:hurray:

After a fascinating afternoon at the local club auction, gaining a few good bargains including a food-grade extractor for twenty-five quid, I came home to a phone call from the swarm coordinator telling me my first colony was on its way, a big swarm, lovely bees with a big beautiful marked last year's queen. Utter delight seeing them hive, going up the board in text book manner, but almost the best bit was to find my previously uninterested partner hanging unsuited over the hive absolutely mesmerised by the bees, and catching him out at the hive again later 'just listening'! I think the bees have a new fan in the family.

welcome to the mad world of beekeeping, headnavigator
it's magic watching a swarm march in to your hive, innit?

Just wait till you see your first brood and then taste your very own honey!

Happy beekeeping!

Found HM for the first time since last July! Either she is new or last years blue wore off! Took off Apistan drop went from 1240 - 0!!

Took the excluder off the front of the swarm (mine :blush5: ) I caught on Thursday. Pollen going in :)
Went through the hive that swarmed as there were no queen cells, (I guess they went as soon as there was no room....bad beekeeper). Two fatish charged queen cells :party: Three other smaller ones taken out.
I'll go back in a week to select "the best".
Weather glorious and got out for a walk in the hills early this morning before tourists got out to hear and catch a glimpse of first Cuckoo.

well, one of my colonies swarmed yesterday, leaving two charged QC's. split 4 frames (1 QC, 3 brood, 1 stores, + a frame feeder) into a Nuc, which is now on an allotment site 4 miles away, left the rest of the colony with a QC to sort it out. They had loads of room, and the QC's weren't nowhere near being sealed.

had to put a third super on one colony ( '08 queen, seen), and checked the other to make sure HM ( '10, seen) is downstairs under the QE, another 2 weeks 'till all brood has hatched in the top box.

Happy Days!!

Went through my hives today did an AS on one as it had swarm cells in it.

Got a call at 5pm for a swarm collection. Relatively easy one, they were on a wall about 3ft off the ground. With the temp dropping they were not too active. Got them into my collection box and in a hive in my out apiary by 8.30pm :)

Decent size swarm, people that called more than happy with my service and paid my petrol money without even being asked.

Bought nuc of nice friendly buckfasts and have started a uniting procedure with grumpy hive #1, using suggestion by MikeA of seperating with some mesh for a few days before risking the paper. Pretty much decided to leave grumpy hive#2 to dwindle away I think and replace with a split if the uniting works or start again if not.

Hived a swarm I collected last night at 8pm, from travel box to Poly nuc...now to see if they stay...

I used this method on a friends hive after he gave his colonies two unsuccessful test frames, he then combined the two queenless colonies and bought a new queen which was killed before she was released so he bought another queen which was released but found dead outside the hive. As a last resort he asked for some advice as he and his wife was desperate to save them.

FMA.JPG

Fig 1
Reduced the queenless hive down to one brood chamber, QE and super/s.

Fig 2
Move the queenless hive off to one side whilst we set up the new colony underneath (note their entrance is facing backwards) then place the wire mesh (grey) on top, then a modified Snelgrove board with a large hole cut out to allow the circulation between the two colonies. The snelgrove board is then used as the roof for the lower colony and the floor for the upper colony. Then put the queenless hive on top and opened a upper gap in the snelgrove board so the queenless colony can fly out in same direction they are used to.
(Took them very little time to figure out their entrance was slightly higher than before)

Fig 3
Left for 5 days before the snelgrove board and mesh were removed and replaced with paper. At the same time the queen was placed in a cage between two drawn frames for safe keeping until the two colonies had merged. The cap to the fondant was removed two days later when it was clear the bees were feeding the queen.

Its a little long winded but after all the hassle it was worth it in his eyes. I'm sure if he had taken more time when introducing the two queens one of them would of been accepted without needing to go to this extreme.

Sorry this is a little rushed to post, hopefully it make sense. :cheers2:

Last edited:
Made a hive !

Managed to build a complete hive, brood, 2 supers, roof & stand** but it took about 2.5 hours. There was a lot of trying and checking before glue and nails were applied. Quite pleased as I added my ready assembled floor, QE and crown board and its looking good !
Full National hive from Th**nes* 2nds for £86 (inc a floor from Wynn Jones).
Frames tonight, again 2nds, 11 brood and 20 supers with foundation I will get change from £35. So a complete hive for £121 which I am well pleased with.
Yes I could buy a cheap one but I learnt a lot making my own and it was well worth it. It was good to read the earlier thread about these 2nds and Hedgerow Pete's assembly guide..........thanks

* other hive part manufacturers are available
** already had the stand

walked the usual 10 minute path through rabbit pocked fields to check bees now using alternative entrance to hive (after sealing up bottom entrance to get them storing above 1st BB now that queen well established in 2nd). Day after I did this there were no foragers to be seen - thought they had absconded - but they have reorientated - it was weird seeing no foraging when the other hives were so busy and this hive was always busy - maybe they had a conference about new entrance . Loads of hawthorn blossom in flower and wild fiowers where the bees are - and no neighbours close by - heaven.... Definitely more relaxing when no neighbours..... I had to move the bees because of "cleansing flights" last year - well now they can poop where they like ....

Taking a 2nd empty super tonight to put on hive with new entrance. Other two hives also busy with foraging - thundery weather this weekend predicted so no inspecting for me until after the predicted rain...

Latest posts

Back