What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deleted post and moved to a new thread, in the pursuit of neatness :)

Last edited:
working out how best to salvage a weak colony (transfer back to a nuc and feed is current idea).

not bee related but as now convinced that spring is here and not using the Audi for a week at least spent a few mins this lunchtime swapping back to wheels with summer tyres. also replaced battery (winter fail) in the Smart ready for MOT tomorrow.

oh and in midst of replacing failed syphon and corroded close couple fitting on WC.

will need to get back to work tomorrow for a rest!!

not using the Audi for a week at least spent a few mins this lunchtime swapping back to wheels with summer tyres. also replaced battery (winter fail) in the Smart ready for MOT tomorrow.

We have a smart fourtwo
images

No one believed me when I said I could fit two national hives (floor, brood chamber & super) side by side in the back with travel screens until I did.

Had a quick look at both of my hives and i have lost one over winter seems to be the queen failed :mad:

But the other made it though and my Nuc as well soo alls not so bad.

A fue pics tuck over the weekend

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

Last edited:
Filled up my water source. Been away a week working and in the hot weather the bees apparently went crazy! That is to say they supposedly chased the next door neighbor out of his vegetable plot and stung him and his dog!

Within 2mins of re-filling the water source I had the 1st bee there and after 5mins up to a dozen at a time taking water.

Can't really think what would make them be so aggressive even if his veg garden is just the other side of a stone wall, never been a problem before and the hives face away from the wall.

Lack of water?

Photos a bee drinking attached.

Yorkshire

Excellent photos - added to my PC wallpaper menu

I find it hard to believe that there's ever a shortage of water sources in yorkshire!

richard

That's a good day's work.
What next?

Nice work.
Whats the plan to deal with them now?
Cut them out or do a trap out

As soon as the weathers a bit better we will take to our new club apiary. There we will cut a square in the top (side of the tree, top when laying down) and remove them to put into a hive. We will then work on the tree trunk to get it to take nat frames and then return to the apiary, where we can put bees back in and use it as a hive (might not be the original bees). We can use that to show students how we got them and what to expect when people say they have bees in a tree. Without a JCB, chain saw, trailer etc it would have been hard to get them.

I'm looking forward to opening it up as I think its a very big strong colony (for this time of year). From the top hole to the bottom is about 6 ft and the hole is about 14" across.

Pete

"No one believed me when I said I could fit two national hives (floor, brood chamber & super) side by side in the back with travel screens until I did."

amazing what they can take - i've had a dishwasher in the back on one occasion, 7x 50kg feed sacks several times and upto 8 decent sized fruit trees in pots (the latter an easier load in smart than in a discovery!!!).

yesterday had 9 trees (mix of pots and rootballs) and could have fitted more TBH.

We will then work on the tree trunk to get it to take nat frames and then return to the apiary, where we can put bees back in and use it as a hive
Pete

Could you move the bees as planned, leaving a bit of comb then put a perspex window in the trunk and fasten the whole thing upright somewhere. That way you would have the hive more or less as you found it. Wonderful thing to show.
:leaving:....OK maybe that's a daft idea.

We will then work on the tree trunk to get it to take nat frames and then return to the apiary, where we can put bees back in and use it as a hive
Pete

Could you move the bees as planned, leaving a bit of comb then put a perspex window in the trunk and fasten the whole thing upright somewhere. That way you would have the hive more or less as you found it. Wonderful thing to show.
:leaving:....OK maybe that's a daft idea.

We could but I don't think its legal to keep bees, that are not on removable frames, for inspection. I might be wrong though.

Pete

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back