What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did My First Check of the Year - 2/3 OK

It being warm and sunny, did the first check of our hives this afternoon.

Two of the colonies have come through in flying form! Plenty of brood, loadsa stores still available. Pollen and even nectar coming in at a breathtaking rate. Put them into clean brood and a half homes - will need to keep an eye on them cause they might even like a super soon.

The third colony was less encouraging. Plenty of workers about, and some brood including sealed brood). And again plenty of stores, pollen and nectar. But there was quite a lot of sealed brood that I think was probably drone brood - and there were rather more drones tramping around this hive that I would have expected at this time of year. Did not see the Queen - though this is by no means unusual for my eyesight. Feel a little uncomfortable with this one :(. Will need to keep an eye on it.

Full sun and a shade temp of 17C, all colonies flying hard so full inspection carried out. 4 colonies required a super:hurray: - 8,8,8 and 9 frames of wall to wall brood. Loads of pollen, in fact it is pollen not stores that is restricting the brood area in some cases. All but one of the others are on 5 - 7 frames of brood and building nicely.

The only one giving cause for concern is only on 3 frames of brood with bees covering 6 frames. This one was a query Nosema but appears to be healthy. The queen was found today she is a small scrawny scrub queen. I'm being unkind as she is doing her best but will be replaced as soon as I can.

11 colonies, 143 frames examined and not a single sting, then when changing the syrup feeder on the mini nuc got pinging on the ankle - there's gratitude for you:toetap05:

I did nothing today.

I will do nothing tomorrow.

I will do nothing on Thursday.

Why?

Because I will do more harm than good to interfere during this period of good weather.

Why are you going in? For the bees: or is it for your satisfaction?

PH

Last edited:
When o when can we mess about with the bees Poly?

its been a long cold winter and along time since last messing ,

i am sure many beeks want 2 get going

Mark...

It's taken me some 25 years to realise that hands off at these times is wiser.

Not to mention to develop the courage to do nothing.

If they are dead you achieve what?

If they are alive you harm them.

We have a period of unusuall and excellent weather so back off. Let them enjoy it.

The weekend sees things going back to normal, colder, wetter, and then they will reorganise and settle down again.

When can you mess with them? When the weather settles....

PH

I enjoyed watching the bees activity from a distance whilst I planted a load of willow cuttings from a kind beek. I was about 20 or 30 feet away and even without my glasses could see that some of them had some huge loads of yellow pollen.
Tricia

buffalow,

mess about with the bees

You seem to be wanting to something more like 'messing the bees about'

I am sure many beeks will want to be messing with their only colony, or two.

With 14 colonies, you should know the score.

RAB

removed the top ventilation and put on the top insulation on all 3 hives today.

No messing with my bees yet, cleaning bbs I bought at the weekend building frames, modiifying nucs, building bait hives, loving all this woodworking.

Removed mouseguard, put in entrance block and changed floor. Expected to see a few dead bees on the old floor but nothing! Had a very quick peek under cb, still some capped honey on the last frame so very pleased. Girls coming in covered in yellow pollen.:hurray:

hah! snaffled a feral colony from neighbours compost bin. little dark bees and very tame. No stores whatsoever although quite a bit of nectar in the combs.

sugar spray wonderful stuff. probably a bit lucky they were so well behaved for a first attempt at feral bee capture. not a sting -bit embarrassing wore 3 layers of everything.

beautiful day in sunny west yorkshire.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Sorry about the delay. Havn't been able to spend time in front of the computer as had to visit Dad in Hospital. He had a late cancellation to have his knee replaced & couldn't turn the offer down.
Back here now & trying to learn a bit more each visit.

Welcome Dilligaf. hope your Dad gets better soon. You will find lots of helpful and supportive people on here.:grouphug:

Glad to see you are getting in practise for Sunday Tony!!!

yes Janet, been practising again today, made another nuc box!!

watched the bees come and go for a few hours

Watched my girls drive off a huge bumble bee, :)

One was hanging on to the underside, I thought for a moment the bumble was taking her for a meal.

Gorgeous day here , went through the hives (don't normally this early ).
One hive had a drone laying Queen (late bred last year).Didn't spot her :( ,however the colony had started a single queen cell (last hope saloon),it was charged and well supplied with Royal jelly so I decided to leave well alone and watch what happens !
All colonies had abundant stores including masses of pollen . Apiary is well supplied with pussy willow and the bees were taking full advantage of it including the one with the drone layer ( no eggs by the way! I think they've cottoned on that she's duff:))

John Wilkinson

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back