What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone coming into my house with a soft cuddly toy...has to give it to Mr Bertie Bumble...my Pomeranian...for some reason he thinks they all belong to him!
In fact, everything belongs to him....toys, squeaky toys...a special favourite, food, snacks, his bed, my lap, my bed, a piece of paper...and all the bits he turns it into belong to him too....unless it's broken then it's Mango's, my other Pomeranian.
Both dogs adore honey....so eating toast has to be done in secret!

When I was working I collected a photo album of my clients who looks like their pets. Somehow I never pictured you as Pomeranian

Had another listen today with a stethoscope and they are humming away nice, I also checked the inspection tray which had around 30/40 varroa I did gas the hive for the last time on the 1st of Jan and the inspection tray has been in since then, I also weighed the hive but instead of loosing weight it was 110lb in weight, when I first weighed it the weight was 97lb.
Can anyone please explain the weight gain as they is no forage anywhere and there has been very few flying days.
Thanks
Steve.

.., I also weighed the hive but instead of loosing weight it was 110lb in weight, when I first weighed it the weight was 97lb.
Can anyone please explain the weight gain as they is no forage anywhere and there has been very few flying days.
Thanks
Steve.

a large family of mice in residence?

Millette... Had another listen today with a stethoscope and they are humming away

That is because they girls has gone and forgotten the words!!

Wassail!!

Have they robbed a hive next door?

There's 2 hives belonging to someone else around 700yrd's away so maybe a possibility and reason maybe why the varroa will not pee off, but then again the weather has been like winter here with very few flying days, my thoughts where more brood but obviously they need food bringing in.
Thankyou.

That remings me about wife. On another hand she is a archeologist, and on another hand she is a dog. If she does not bark, she is digging past.

Well.......I have one colony that weighs three lb more than it did when I started weighing at the beginning of "winter"
I have put it down to operator error.
Millet,
You have a heavy hive....don't worry about it unless it weighs the same just before first inspection in the Spring ;)

Knowledge is profit Goran....

Perhaps you could sell it... beekeeping courses?

Yeghes da

It was very interesting, and had learn something new. As I am weak in Apitherapy, I learned lot of what was presented ( mostly got in which directions it goes and next if I someday go deeper know in which order to learn it properly).
About stinky/non stinky foulbrood never enough to hear ( Repetition is mother of all knowledge).
And some about climate changes.. At my place till 2080 we could have here climate as in Tunisia ( so importing camels could be lucrative job in future :D ).
Also unexpectedly it turned out possibility to get beekeeping job abroad - now I have another thing to crumble in my brain ( should I stay or should I go)..
Right now is snowing outside, " dry snow"..

Well.......I have one colony that weighs three lb more than it did when I started weighing at the beginning of "winter"
I have put it down to operator error.
Millet,
You have a heavy hive....don't worry about it unless it weighs the same just before first inspection in the Spring ;)

I have the same 'results' from 3 of my hives. Fondant to syrup stored? Bringing in water to dilute for new batch of bad weather? Your weighings may be correct although as yet I cannot give a reason why. Not seen this before. Mine have increased in the last two weeks since previous weighings. Weights dropped steadily and then a sudden increase. weights checked and confirmed. I may be missing something :)

Last edited:
so importing camels could be lucrative job in future
No camels! Sheeps already left us not much to forage from. The camels will erase our last hope – the thorny plants: gorse, black thorn, white thorn, bramble, thistle…just to name a few ;)

When I was working I collected a photo album of my clients who looks like their pets. Somehow I never pictured you as Pomeranian

Here they are...Mr Bertie Bumble is black and Mango is blonde.
No silly clipping .....in glorious full coat.
....nope not here at all.....very much not here in fact....hmmmm

Latest posts

Back