What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is I hope it all works out. My thoughts are with you both.

+1 ... The water came up so fast in some places it really caught people out - it must have been horrendous for you.

I've seen the centre of York when it was heavily flooded in the 1960's but it was nothing compared to the last few days - all records broken. Even the Jorvik Centre which is well into the town centre beneath a modern shopping precinct was flooded. Unbelievable photos of the destruction here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ve-property-Storm-Frank-threatens-misery.html

Tadcaster and Hebden Bridge took a beating as well - it's impossible to imagine what it must be like.

It did come up quick for sure but no so quick as you didnt notice. Always had it in my mind what action to take.......kind of. Been there 17 years with only one previous event near to this one in that time. Thank you all for your concern.
If I were at work it would have been very different. Dont care about the equipment just the bees!

Best of luck dnd.
I admire your reactive attitude refreshingly free of trying to blame anyone for your predicament.

If I were religious I could blame something but im not. I do belive in nature but that is what she does. We of course are all freaks of nature which is why we screw things up so much and often. :) One makes what one can of what one has. I honestly belive there is no excuse for letting apiaries be washed away if one has done ones homework on the lay of the land, especially where the bees are kept over winter!! York in particular had plenty of warning. Sighhhh.

Vaping.

Vaped 36 colonies, mostly Nucs. Using my Varrox vaporiser. Think i will be looking at a quicker method, over 2 hrs work. Dont mind, it went well but looking to get a machine thats quicker. Thankfully theres been lots of discussion.
A few bees flying, so took a few stings introducing the vaporiser. overall a successful afternoon.

Today started to snow, so far about 15 cm. Tomorrow will have to go 3km uphill on foot through snow to apiaries. Good side, when will return it will be easier ( maybe I can roll down as snowball).. Have no camera yet, will try to make some pics with old cell phone.. But that isn't the same..

and in contrast to Goran's snow...bees flying like mad, (yesterday), as it was so mild. That bright orb in the sky even made a fleeting appearance - what joy! Today they will be getting their water wings out again...

We had a brief break from 8 weeks of rain yesterday and the bees were out flying well, however today it is hammering down, we are now moving into 9 weeks of almost relentless rain, yes its mild but please rain why not just 'piss-off'....

We had a brief break from 8 weeks of rain yesterday and the bees were out flying well, however today it is hammering down, we are now moving into 9 weeks of almost relentless rain, yes its mild but please rain why not just 'piss-off'....

Same down here on the Costa del Fareham, wasn't that much better yesterday - Got saturated this morning letting the hens out at just after 8.00am and the wind is strong. Rivers of water running off the landing boards of the hives and the mud now is akin to the Somme ... but it's very mild.

I really need to prune my fruit trees and bushes but it's just too wet - at this rate they will be setting buds before I get chance. Just one, dry, bright cold day please ? I'm a bit of a fair weather sailor in some respects ... not fond of getting wet - I have some good wet weather gear but it's very restrictive in terms of moving about and water still finds a way in !

I live in hope.

and in contrast to Goran's snow...bees flying like mad, (yesterday), as it was so mild. That bright orb in the sky even made a fleeting appearance - what joy! Today they will be getting their water wings out again...

Same here,
Hellebores and Mahonia all being visited
Lot of bees at the pond collecting water

I hate this wave after wave of rain.

Latest, before this non-winter-so-far, I had actually seen bees taking in pollen was Chritmas Eve. That year, they had just about 6 weeks slumber before being out in force again.

If things don't change, they won't get a rest period at all this winter

Same down here on the Costa del Fareham, wasn't that much better yesterday - Got saturated this morning letting the hens out at just after 8.00am and the wind is strong. Rivers of water running off the landing boards of the hives and the mud now is akin to the Somme ... but it's very mild.
I really need to prune my fruit trees and bushes but it's just too wet - at this rate they will be setting buds before I get chance. Just one, dry, bright cold day please ? I'm a bit of a fair weather sailor in some respects ... not fond of getting wet - I have some good wet weather gear but it's very restrictive in terms of moving about and water still finds a way in !
I live in hope.

Spare a thought for our colleagues in the north country

Asked to move 2 colonies, as tree felling to start near my hives. This morning before it started to rain, I went and closed up the hives and strapped them together with 2 ratchet straps to each hive. When I came to lift them into the buck of my Ford Ranger they were far too heavy to lift. Went back home and fitted the transport box to my compact Yanmar tractor and off back to the hives some 3 miles away at a max speed of 12mph. Then able to back to the hives and slid them easily onto the transport box. Then the heavens opened, no cab so I got soaked. At home I was able to slide the hives onto their bases without any problems. I shall now use this method again.

Mike

Today. Not some beauty pics. Old cell phone.

Attachments

• CAM00738.jpg
    CAM00738.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 29
  • CAM00732.jpg
    CAM00732.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 27
  • CAM00719.jpg
    CAM00719.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 23
  • CAM00740.jpg
    CAM00740.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 24
  • CAM00705.jpg
    CAM00705.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 23
Spent a while making fondant...as no chance of getting out to buy any. So tomorrow any hives feeling light can have a post Xmas munch....providing it stops raining long enough to give it to the bees......bxxxxxr...it's upside down again....should have used photobucket but every time I use that...I find it posts all my photos!...but I expect you can visually sort it out without cricking your necks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
it's upside down again.......but I expect you can visually sort it out without cricking your necks!
Well I turned the laptop upside down and it turned the picture round so it was upside down again......I didn't know it could do that?
I must see if Omlet do small egg-skelters. I just dropped a Banty egg out of one.

Latest posts

Back