What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lifted the hive today as i could not be bothered to rig the scales up, it weighs a ton, there is still brood capping on the inspection tray and 45 varroa over a 7 day period so i think i have nearly nipped them in the bud.
They was a lot of activity today with bees coming in and out for a couple of hours, no pollen so i can only think they are cleansing flights and bringing in water, however a lot of bees where heading in a straight line across a field where they is lots of ivy about 2/3rds of a mile away but i thought the nectar would be finished now or should i say should be..

busy%20bee%20xmas%20058_zpsjakph8ua.jpg

Tremyfro Interesting that you thought some looked like new bees. It looked like some of mine were new bees orienting just outside one hive.

Tremyfro Interesting that you thought some looked like new bees. It looked like some of mine were new bees orienting just outside one hive.

Yes...well it's been so mild here....although windy and wet. I'm not surprised that they continued to brood....it's strange though to see them.

Fed fondant to one Jumbo Lang nuc.
Cut grass (!)
All Tuesday when it was warm and sunny.

Today it's back to normal.. Rain.

If there is brood all Winter and serious signs of Varroa, then, if necessary I will treat with Oxalic Acid by sublimation the same way I treated early Autumn . Three times, five days apart.

If there is brood all Winter and serious signs of Varroa, then, if necessary I will treat with Oxalic Acid by sublimation the same way I treated early Autumn . Three times, five days apart.
That is what i want to do ideally but at this moment in time with other commitments it is hard for me to go to the hive location every 5 days.

May even need four treatments if the infestation was high and brood present, but two or three would reduce the number of mites enough, and then asses mite numbers treat again in spring if needed.

six or seven mites a day - pathetically small amount. Wise up!

LOL!

According to that NBU varroa calculator, if you believe it, there could be from 640 to 2600 mites in residence for the months of Dec/Jan, with that count, so that could be a very rough guide, allowing for a few variables.

Monitoring mite-fall around the start or end of the brood rearing season can give poor accuracy.
Results should be treated with caution.

Last edited:
Last of three 1g vapes through the floor of a Paynes poly nuc. Hit-and-hope beekeeping really but I did get a decent early knockdown of about 100 and about 10 a day since then so hopefully all OK: hard to be sure but it all adds to the learning.

Busy Boxing day

Was a busy Boxing day monitoring the water rising in the River Foss which runs next to the apiary #honeymeadow. Thinking the hives would be ok I went out for a paddle in the rain for maybe 40 mins. When I got back the flood water had come up maybe 2-3" and very near into the hives. Two pallets on the trailer towed by the little orange bull with only wet feet. Later on after just starting my second pint of fine ale the Doris calls the pub to say the barrier in York has failed with the water rising further. Never good when the Doris rings the pub;-) So trundled home to find the 4 hives I thought would be ok about to go under. No way to get to these with Little Bull so a 4 wheel hand trolly that actually floated on its tyres was put into action. That water was so cold with thanks to the Doris too for helping out on that one and in pitch black.
Put all the colonies very close together and against a fence so they might re orientate and indeed for the most part they have. Very few at the old site when stood there but for sure some would be in the water.
Hope the low res pictures load up.
An areial view from a friend flying past the day after with the water slowly receding.
Autumn was a magic time of year at Honeymeadow.

Attachments

• _DSC9673.JPG
    _DSC9673.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 99
  • _DSC9667.JPG
    _DSC9667.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 79
  • _DSC9679.JPG
    _DSC9679.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 88
  • _DSC9485.JPG
    _DSC9485.JPG