What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of activity today. Couldn't help myself so had a look at the frames - plenty of brood visible - is this a bit early???

:sorry:

It would be worrying if there wasn't brood visible at this time of the year - still a bit early for going in and looking at it though IMHO

Lots of activity today. Couldn't help myself so had a look at the frames - plenty of brood visible - is this a bit early???

:sorry:

It is early-ish to inspect.
Hence you need to take great care not to do Q any sort of mischief.

Such an early inspection should just check that there is healthy-looking worker brood, and enough stores, but not too much.

A quick look can help you plan for dealing with any immediate problems that you spot. It shouldn't be about curiosity! A see-through coverboard can give a bit of a view without needing to fully open the hive.

A cold raw day here, so no chance for me. Yesterday would have been good, but other commitments (not the weather) prevented it. I'd quite like to know what is happening in the two weakest colonies (and the two strongest).

Changed the floors on my 4 hives today,all working well collecting dark grey? brick red and yellow pussy willow pollen,lifted crownboards strongest covering 7 frames,weakest only 3.Plenty of stores in them all.

Apricots .... Ah that brings back some memories of holidays where you live .... you are so lucky to be able to grow them - I've tried over here but even on the South Coast we don't get the consistent sun they need to ripen - same with peaches. I need a bigger greenhouse.

Apricots of our own are young trees. But we enjoy our "vineyard peaches" which don't require much of spraying, and growing almost "wild". One year I "forgot" to spray at all and still we had more than we can eat..

Attachments

• peach 1.JPG
    peach 1.JPG
    605.2 KB · Views: 20
  • peach 2.JPG
    peach 2.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 18
  • peach 3.JPG
    peach 3.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 19
  • peach 4.JPG
    peach 4.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 18
  • peach 5.JPG
    peach 5.JPG
    568.1 KB · Views: 23
Lovely pics, Goran.

Thanks, bees also adore peaches. Its lively colors contribute anouncing the springtime and "good vibrations" for new season.

This season will pass "shooting" pics of them in flower ( still didn't sort my camera).

Attachments

• peach 6.JPG
    peach 6.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 11
  • peach 7.JPG
    peach 7.JPG
    423.7 KB · Views: 13
18 degrees? which country are you in? its nothing like 18 degrees in the uk?

Oh yes it was! :) Independently verified by two other people, (including the 23 degrees in the sun. It seems as if all of my thermometers are working perfectly, thank you! And I was walking around in a t-shirt, (well, if I'm honest, a holy, short sleeved polo shirt...if that's relevant ;) ).

I'm sorry it's so cold were you are, I hope the warmth will get to you eventually!

(sorry, bit of a late clarification, but not been around.)

PS Meant to say, lovely pix, Goran

Bees flying at all of mine. Two have new bee flights and lots of pollen, not sure about one of the others and the other didn't appear to have any new bees but did have bees working.

Lovely sunny day here.

Had a good look yesterday in the little bit of warmth we had - still got 6 hives alive. They are noticeably behind where they were this time last year. Moved some stores between hives to balance things up a bit and somewhere in 26 acres I managed to lose my hive tool. First real visit of the year too - is this some kind of record?!

removed mouse guards to make it a bit easier for the bees to get in with all their pollen, they seem active enough to see off any meeces. checked fondant on tops of hives, didn't want to go in yet, all looks good & hives still heavy.

For some reason we are not allowed to say the brave echo echo word on here any more - i suggest that from now on we substitute the word Balls
Now I know that some on here are well versed in talking balls on the forum but to get the (ahem) ball rolling I'll have a bash :eek: at it:
My balls enjoyed being out all day in the fresh air and sunshine, although I did have to discourage my neighbour's wife from swatting them, unfortunately SWMBO's new dog kept on snapping at my balls but she'll soon learn - we didn't get her until last September and never took her near the hives, I don't think she's used to my balls constantly zipping back and fore in front of her.

Stood and gazed in awe at my balls
Neighbours gathered round to admire them covered in pollen and watched them squeeze through tiny gaps in mouseguard. We held our breath hoping the little fat ones didnt get stuck or lose their load
If tomorrrow is as nice as today i plan on opening my balls at the allotment and showing them to the beginners and let them have their first experience of handling them

Wo If the solar eclipse will have any effect on the balls

+1 ... You do live in a lovely part of the world as well .. always nice to see your photos.

Thanks, I believe that is also at your place where nature isn't urbanized too much also lovely.

But last year weather ( nature) was magnificent in its cruelty, and it set up as background to other devastating happenings which stroke us.. It was like nature and bad events "clicked" and got hard on you ( at the moments you felt that you were pinned to the ground and again you get up for one more expected strike).. I think we will survive everything after such horror year..
Now I am boring and talk too much, apologies..

This picture depicts most of last year weather.

Attachments

• storm is coming.JPG
    storm is coming.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 19
Stood and gazed in awe at my balls
Neighbours gathered round to admire them covered in pollen and watched them squeeze through tiny gaps in mouseguard. We held our breath hoping the little fat ones didnt get stuck or lose their load
If tomorrrow is as nice as today i plan on opening my balls at the allotment and showing them to the beginners and let them have their first experience of handling them

Wo If the solar eclipse will have any effect on the balls

Are they your own balls, or is someone else kind enough to let you handle theirs?

Frosty morning so I gave 5 hives a light coat of boiled linseed oil and checked fondant (which is being cleared at a pace now). Fondant will need to be topped up at the weekend or if the temperatures stay in day time teens I might add a small amount of strong sugar syrup. Mouse guards all off.
Returned later to see all hives busy with lots of pollen going in with temperatures around 12 degrees and some welcome sunshine.
Blooming Currant, Willow, Primrose and Whins in flower and some Dandelion starting to flower. Sin e!

Alright for you to say the deleted word.....when I looked last night it had been deleted in all my posts! It will give you a marked card for insobordination and you will be doing jankers today!

Latest posts

Back