What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cornel, forest willows, forest wild flowers, meadow wild flowers. Apricots almost opened flowers. Pears also. Temps slowly increasing. Hopefully get good weather for weekend to make first inspections..

Also must remind the menfolk to leave the Rosebay Willowherb alone...my bees loved it last year. My OH has already cut the gooseberries down to nothing...so no berries this year I fear! Give a man a match or a pair of secateurs...and you will have no bushes and a bonfire!

I pruned my gooseberry bushes this year in January (I know - very late) .. shoved all the prunings into some seed compost in pots (gave them a taste of root hormone powder before putting them in) - about 80% have struck ... nobody more surprised than me ! Same with my blackcurrant bushes. Where I'm going to put them is something else ....

Cornel, forest willows, forest wild flowers, meadow wild flowers. Apricots almost opened flowers. Pears also. Temps slowly increasing. Hopefully get good weather for weekend to make first inspections..

Apricots .... Ah that brings back some memories of holidays where you live .... you are so lucky to be able to grow them - I've tried over here but even on the South Coast we don't get the consistent sun they need to ripen - same with peaches. I need a bigger greenhouse.

We had had great success with apricots In Lincolnshire, tree called "new large early".
One a south facing outside wall.

Cracked a coverboard or two, simply because I COULDN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!:rules:

18 deg.C, bees in good fettle, fresh nectar, masses of pollen coming in, and bees very, very calm. Felt a bit guilty, but I've had a pretty s****y winter and seeing them going about their business brought me real JOY:)

(And I don't care what anyone else thinks about me opening them up for my own gratification - sometimes, "needs" must) :sorry:

OK, bring it on, I've had my pleasure, now I guess I have to pay for it!

I think your thermometer might be bust!
E

I think your thermometer might be bust!
E

well, I don't know - it's not half as warm and sunny here today as yesterday but just checked the thermometer and it's creeping up to 13 degrees - and we're a little higher up the mountains than the Bont

Last edited:
18C?

Frost here, and mist: visibility 40 meters at 7am.

No bees flying (I always state the obvious...)

Bright and sunny

A lovely day...out wearing a jumper.
Mucked out horses...tick......
Collected eggs...let out chickens....removed poo from nest box...why do they do that?...tick
Painted hive bodies...tick
Drank cuppa...tick
Now to the bees....I am going to replenish fondant ...as required...
I shall resist looking at frames....

10 degrees
Everybody flying
Planted potatoes, broad beans and onions
Having a brew then going to remove nadired supers and maybe double brood a very big colony
Then off to plant a wildflower meadow

9C at lunch time.

After a dentist visit, weighed a TBH nuc - 9kgs.. and added one comb of honey.

Lots of bees out today, lots of yellow, orange, red & grey pollen coming in, lovely day here. Seen my first Bumble queen of the year too, large with a lovely red butt. :)

Last edited:
Brood.

Lots of activity today. Couldn't help myself so had a look at the frames - plenty of brood visible - is this a bit early???

:sorry:

Lots of activity today. Couldn't help myself so had a look at the frames - plenty of brood visible - is this a bit early???

:sorry:

Nope.

Mine have brood..

Latest posts

Back