What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 degrees C here today, and very cold, or is it that I've just come back from India (Kolkata/Culcatta at 35 degrees C, where I've been on business for 4 weeks), so this is the first visit back to the apiary in 4 weeks.

A little apprehensive before I left, I checked all the hives by technically hefting and recording weights through the winter, and for added insurance, dropped a 2.5kg block of ambrosia on top of each.

I could see through the clear acrylic crown boards, masses of bees, more bees than before, are they now brooding....no drones present I could see, only one colony had started eating the fondant, I would guess about 500g. Much Too cold for inspection.

Will visit next weekend, and check on the fondant, and heft again, and count frames of bees. (too cold for me this afternoon, to wait around!).

Today and yesterday was 10C, bees covered nearby cornel, also on forest willows and can see few stranded on primulas.. Nice to watch and listen. Colonies seems pretty much OK, only one is down on 2-3 seams, seems that will be winter loss after I check it, when become warmer..
Also there will be more losses - for now I have buyer for 3 colonies.. Some other interested for pretty more is waging the price, but I don't.. It can be only higher as time pass.. I am not good for trade, to bargain I am not good at it..

Warm enough to fly today

After several miserable days...when the weather was cold, rainy and windy. Today is much warmer...hardly any wind. My girls are out rejoicing, no doubt, in their freedom. Lovely to see them taking off to find pollen.
Not in the Bee Yard.....but with the intention....bought 4 Broom plants, 4 Ceanothus plants and 7 Lavatera...and I have ordered 10 Budlejia Globosa for my windbreak hedge. Getting really excited now about starting the initial preparation. The area is now cleared and all the nettles sprayed. Next is laying the weed suppressant fabric. Putting up the 'keep Grandchildren out' fence.

And do brilliantly well from cuttings.
My plan this year is to de-grass a bank in the apiary and replant with rooted chelsea-chopped sedums.

I cut some Budjlia cuttings in November when i cut some bushes back, i thought i would try planting some bits, theyre all sprouting :) i took some lavender cuttings this week too, not sure when those should have been taken though.

Last edited:
Had a quick look at a few outside frames, there's definitely some nectar coming in. Bees were flying like mad, and it seems they are in a much better mood than last week when I checked for stores.

@Tremyfto - Budlejia Globosa - where from ?

From Endeavouruk online on ebay....for £1.90 per plant. They grow quickly so should soon make decent hedge. Also, I intend taking cuttings and planting in all sorts of odd places...as long as the horses can't eat it!

Also must remind the menfolk to leave the Rosebay Willowherb alone...my bees loved it last year. My OH has already cut the gooseberries down to nothing...so no berries this year I fear! Give a man a match or a pair of secateurs...and you will have no bushes and a bonfire!

When I lived in Cumbria RBWH together with bramble was the main honey crop. The National Park has a very zealous Balsam Police :(

Cracked a coverboard or two, simply because I COULDN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!:rules:

18 deg.C, bees in good fettle, fresh nectar, masses of pollen coming in, and bees very, very calm. Felt a bit guilty, but I've had a pretty s****y winter and seeing them going about their business brought me real JOY:)

(And I don't care what anyone else thinks about me opening them up for my own gratification - sometimes, "needs" must) :sorry:

OK, bring it on, I've had my pleasure, now I guess I have to pay for it!

I think there must be lots of Balsam in the woods not far from us. My girls were off over there until the first frosts.
AND.....I am still waiting.....unlike some people on this forum....to do my first inspection. Having been told over and over to stay out.
I don't know how you could Bontbee......you naughty thing you......what an example to set to us newbies!
Shame on you...tut tut......bet you really enjoyed though....I enjoyed reading about it!

Last edited:
Ibet you really enjoyed though....I

I certainly did! :hurray:

I only had a quick peek at the outer frames, and the bees were calm - they didn't seem to feel the need to defend their nest and I didn't need a veil, (though I rarely do - my bees are very laid back)

I think there must be lots of Balsam in the woods not far from us. My girls were off over there until the first frosts.
AND.....I am still waiting.....unlike some people on this forum....to do my first inspection. Having been told over and over to stay out.
I don't know how you could Bontbee......you naughty thing you......what an example to set to us newbies!
Shame on you...tut tut......bet you really enjoyed though....I enjoyed reading about it!

Balsam isn't out until July?

Bontbee-18 deg.C, bees in good fettle, fresh nectar, masses of pollen coming in, and bees very, very calm. Felt a bit guilty, but I've had a pretty s****y winter and seeing them going about their business brought me real JOY

18 degrees? which country are you in? its nothing like 18 degrees in the uk?

Bontbee-18 degrees? which country are you in? its nothing like 18 degrees in the uk?

I'm only going by the thermometer in the apiary - which is in the shade. The one in the - intermittent - sun said 23 degrees. I am in barmy south wales, land of the gods, (or the daft, never sure which) ;)

I'm only going by the thermometer in the apiary - which is in the shade. The one in the - intermittent - sun said 23 degrees. I am in barmy south wales, land of the gods, (or the daft, never sure which) ;)

I think you need a new thermometer Lol it must be at least 10 degrees out :icon_204-2:

(And I don't care what anyone else thinks about me opening them up for my own gratification - sometimes, "needs" must) :sorry:
OK, bring it on, I've had my pleasure, now I guess I have to pay for it!

Okay for doing early inspections on nice days like this, i checked a couple of colonies today, and found one that will be getting a new queen tomorrow.

As there are so many Welsh on this forum, and as my grandfather came from Ruthin, I think I should be offered Welsh Nationality.

Back