What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick check early am through clear crown boards active bees and then the rain dried up and a surge of activity whilst very warm and humid. Moved swarm box into polytunnel. Moved stands into polytunnel. Erected some temp fence and will label with caution signs

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Just off to extract the last 4 supers then cleanup.
Will be at the apiaries later to put extracted supers back on and inspect!

Loving the weather today!!!

Yesterday actually, harvested the first of this season's honey. Very tasty too with more depth than last year's at this time. All peaceful on the eastern front.

The sun popped out briefly today so I did a quick inspection using my new camcorder. The hive is doing great, a lot of bees have emerged from their cells and new eggs have been laid in many of them. We managed to get some nice close ups of the eggs and larvae. I made a couple of butterfinged bangs which upset the bees a bit, I blame the fact that I forgot to take my gloves off after lighting my smoker. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIS5P2pZSc0

EDIT: I forgot to publish the vid, should work now.

Last edited:
Queen which was a supercedure end April is now laying. Larvae and eggs - last inspection 13th May.

Think I need to get a rhombus clearing board as took ages to clear. Bees in one hive have cracked the porter bee puzzle (I don't leave them on all the time, so not sure).

If the bees have come back through the porter escape, the metal tines are not set at the correct distance.
Having said that, I am using rhombus escapes from now on after 2 decades of being a porter user.
Cazza

Hmm

The swarm I hived on Saturday which was starving and listless before I fed it - and then became feisty and horrible - looks as if it might have been queenless.

They (or rather 90% of them) appear to have absconded 10 meters into another nuc (of the same size ) which had three combs of brood and a queen. And the incidence of following has dramatically reduced - this pm. I still collected 11 stings today.. all on the hands or arms.. And squished four followers with a plastic type of tennis bat..My serve is improving...

You never can tell..........

popped down to Garn cottage today to check on the A/s Nucs - one, deserted, looks like the bees just up and went, the other looking better but not fantastic - QC has been capped so fingers crossed.
The other hive down there - remember the one, which on Wednesday was full of swarm cells, BIAS but try as I might, I couldn,t find the queen so I reduced to one QC ald left them to it? Checked it today - now gone from laying on eight frames to ten, eggs all over the place and not one QC :banghead:
Checked the demarree at home - they've only produced two QC's (still open) but they are on the same frame - in fact, very close together. Anyway, I'll take a punt and make up tweo nucs at the end of the week - carefully cutting one QC out to put in the other nuc. The swarm from two weeks ago now laying on six frames. happy days!

Inspected a hive and then left two others to the apiary as they were putting bees back in boxes.

Came back later to do the other hive and decided against it as a frame had been left out for the bees to clean.

Some quite happy bees on it, but probably not so much the ones in the nuc underneath. Which had also been moved away from it's original point and so had bees flying round confused looking for where they lived.

Painted tghe two new poly nucs I bought just incase the weather improves and they start swarming in this part of the world again.

Two queens laying in two splits I made in April. Main colony splits were taken from has two charged queen cells but plenty of room, leaving me a bit confused.

Spent all afternoon on a swarm, second one since I started in mid April. I can believe the first was down to me but this one..... I can't see a huge hole in either of my now two colonies. The first swarm has settled in nicely and they're a pleasant bunch with everything going according to plan but this lot seem belligerent. I had to cut off several branches from the hazel trees they were on with them going higher each time. Finally got them settled into a travelling box with a small home made feeder on top but nothing in there for them to work on. I'd just topped up the miller feeder on the first swarm so I'll need to buy another one, hey ho....

I also got stung on the end of my nose! Seems I'm not allergic!

Is the presence of a hive a lure to other bees? Or are these really mine, seems odd as I only had a 6 frame nuc in mid April.

Spent all afternoon on a swarm, second one since I started in mid April. I can believe the first was down to me but this one..... I can't see a huge hole in either of my now two colonies. The first swarm has settled in nicely and they're a pleasant bunch with everything going according to plan but this lot seem belligerent. I had to cut off several branches from the hazel trees they were on with them going higher each time. Finally got them settled into a travelling box with a small home made feeder on top but nothing in there for them to work on. I'd just topped up the miller feeder on the first swarm so I'll need to buy another one, hey ho....

I also got stung on the end of my nose! Seems I'm not allergic!

Is the presence of a hive a lure to other bees? Or are these really mine, seems odd as I only had a 6 frame nuc in mid April.

It's a phrase often quoted "bees attract more bees" but whether it's true or not is debatable.

Well.
3 supers off, two colonies united, and eggs found in the small cast caught in a bait hive on 17th May
AS parent colony QC should have had emerging queen 3 days ago at the very latest. Still sealed. So either duff or has been resealed. I'll look again next week.

Latest posts

Back