What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took supers from bottom and put them over feeder board to clear bees. All emptied by bees and bb filling up with honey. Have loads of supers with wet frames that need cleaning like this, saves me feeding too much!

Just checked 50 bees dead at entrance after MAQS applied not quite 24 hours yet

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Just put yet another pre-order in for the T's sale! I wish the 28th would hurry up and arrive as I just can't seem to help myself!! This is the 4th one in as many weeks ;)
Off to the builders merchants now for a small sheet of Kingspan!

Just put yet another pre-order in for the T's sale! I wish the 28th would hurry up and arrive as I just can't seem to help myself!! This is the 4th one in as many weeks ;)
Off to the builders merchants now for a small sheet of Kingspan!

Ah, you're hooked now, doomed...lol

Spent my lunch hour at the association apiary - took feeders off the two nucs in the 'members area' (1;1 given a while ago to encourage comb drawing - which worked!) and prepared them for moving to Brynmair to keep an eye on them over winter as if they survived they will be put in the 'teaching area' of the apiary as they have been donated by the original owner. (a bit more than 3 feet but less than 3 miles from their original spot) Noticed that foragers were coming back to all the hives absolutely plastered in balsam pollen.

Also checked my apiary - the super hive have now cleared the super above the clearer board and are now finally on a brood and a half (can't believe i'm glad about that!!) it's so packed there's loads of bees hanging about on the landing board like a load of dissafectedyouths on a street corner - it's going to be fun putting the apiguard on tomorrow!!

It has not been the best of beekeeping days for me.

First of all, I did a thorough end of season examination of the 4 hives on the Cathedral roof. All the faffing around getting the builders to open up for us and then finding they'd locked us out, as I washed things up elsewhere, locking-in some of my stuff, was only the icing on the cake.

Whilst two of the four hives were fine, I did confirm that one has done away with their queen and probably got a virgin queen, based on their passivity. No brood/eggs/larvae evident. Rather late in the year to get mated.

Then I found that the fourth has a touch of DWV. Not a strong colony as it is. I had nothing to treat it with me (thinking varroa) and I can't get back to it for another 10 days.

So I moved on to the hives on the Printworks roof. I have a separate suit there, but usually take my boots along. This time I didn't want to risk transferring DWV to these hives, and just wore my shoes. The little b*ggers in one hive decided to attack my ankles. Got about 10 stings, ankles like elephants' and itching all over!

So I didn't feel up to going out to a do, with 'er outdoors. Decided on comfort food in the shape of a Fray Bentos pie and tinned spaghetti. Licked some tomato sauce off the tin lid and cut my tongue.

Woe is me! Woe and thrice woe! Was anyone ever so afflicted?

Dusty

Also checked my apiary - the super hive have now cleared the super above the clearer board and are now finally on a brood and a half (can't believe i'm glad about that!!) it's so packed there's loads of bees hanging about on the landing board like a load of dissafectedyouths on a street corner - it's going to be fun putting the apiguard on tomorrow!!
I've got a hive like that, I need to clear the top box (full of honey) and I think I'll need to give them a super between in order to do it. I cleared them out of the super and into the double brood last weekend and they weren't too happy about it. Tomorrow could be interesting.

Well, don't I feel a right :redface::redface:?

On the other hand........

an evening on my own, comfort food and watching Quins beat the bejesus out of Worcester Warriors

rugby2?

And lots of sympathy to come?

Can't be bad.

Dusty

The little b*ggers in one hive decided to attack my ankles. Got about 10 stings, ankles like elephants' and itching all over!

Dusty

Well I had a bad finish to the day no beekeeping involved just dented pride and a friend who showed me up, still he deserved that one so reasonably happy for him.

Somehow you make me feel better 10 stings to the ankle when one can be bad news I feel for you right now.

Put clearer boards under the final 9 supers to take off and extract tomorrow.

Observation at the entrance, nothing unusual @9:00 today bees still on the HB which is looking its best, late is better than never

Well, don't I feel a right :redface::redface:?

On the other hand........

an evening on my own, comfort food and watching Quins beat the bejesus out of Worcester Warriors

rugby2?

And lots of sympathy to come?

Can't be bad.

Dusty

A Fray Bentos pie and tinned spaghetti ... real Northern comfort food ... they just don't understand TINNED pies and TINNED stewed steak down here in the soft South ... shelves full of it in Morrisons and all it does is collect dust. Real mans food Dusty .. should make your ankles feel a bit better !

Hope the swelling goes down soon ... the cause of it may remain a little longer in your memory !

:grouphug::grouphug

Licked some tomato sauce off the tin lid and cut my tongue.
Dusty

:icon_204-2:

Makes a change licking the minibus window :biggrinjester:

drstitson;365888DWV is transmitted by varroa. It's not foot and mouth!!!!![/QUOTE said:
B*gger!

B*gger, B*gger, B*gger!

Dusty

You can't say fairer than that (or at least Dusty can't with an elastoplast on his tongue). The sermon's going to be fun tomorrow. :D

But at Last!! a valid reason for putting manookoo honey in your mouth!! :hurray:

Latest posts

Back