What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Topped up the feeders and watched loads of bees coming in with yellow pollen. It was only 12 degrees but there were lots out and about.

Move along please. Nothing to see here.

About a year ago I was cockily reporting that I'd bought hive straps for some ridiculously low price on Stockport Market.

Well, I've been eating my words and worrying to death, about the hives on the Cathedral roof, in the gales which have been blowing this weekend.

As wiser Forum members will agree, you get what you pay for. The straps were rubbish and perished one by one. Though I'd recently got replacements, I'd not been able to strap up the hives, not having access to the roof.

I managed to get up there this morning between torrential showers - to find all was well. I didn't deserve the good luck; but the bees deserved better consideration.

Still, I was able to feed them; they certainly need it this week.

Dusty

There must be someone watching over the bees besides you lol.
I used to use ratchet straps but as they break I am replacing them with span set straps.

Craig

Spent a couple of hours cutting polystyrene sheets to fit over the experimental Long Hive crown board. Hit on the idea of serrating the end of a large bean can to 'drill' 4" holes through the insulation to take the feeder jars, rather than using a knife as before. Works a treat. Also made some polystyrene tea-cosies to fit over those inverted jars, to keep the syrup warm. 5-star accomodation now - I hope they appreciate it ... :)

And eventually got around to gluing some fine expanded ally mesh over the feeder holes, which will save me doing the plastic card shuffle when changing jars - should have done that ages ago.

LJ

Very swiftly checked for queen cells being drawn on a test frame using cover cloths for the first time - Two in progress! New queen now on order :)

Topped up rapid feeders on those hives in need with thymolated 2:1 syrup.

Tightened up straps on poly nucs and added a chunk of paving slab to the roofs 'just in case' .....it's been blimmin windy here today.

Glad to see that the ivy is in bloom all down our lane - Happy days!

Topped up the feeders and watched loads of bees coming in with yellow pollen. It was only 12 degrees but there were lots out and about.

Beautiful yellow pollen here too, then I noticed that the dandilions are having a second go!.

As wiser Forum members will agree, you get what you pay for. The straps were rubbish and perished one by one.

If you happened to have saved the metalwork, the strapping can be replaced with 25mm jackstay webbing - it's for safety kit designed to live outdoors, is UV resistant and rated for 3 tonnes. Can be sourced for around £1.50/ metre. Whether it's cost effective to repair 'em or not is, of course, debatable

I happen to have bought a full roll of jackstay webbing for silly money at a boot sale years ago, so I happily replace rotten straps as they turn up - not by stitching, but by using epoxy resin instead. Haven't managed to bust a repair yet. :)

LJ

Last edited:
Took delivery of near a ton of invert syrup at the association apiary (not all of it for me, honest!.)Sneaked, err i mean unloaded a jeep load of syrup into shed No2, went to Garn cottage to bring the three hives from there home for the winter, strapped all the hives down for tomorrows little blow.

Varroa treatment on today bees flying at 9:00 covered in white pollen, probably not so happy now dragging that crap through the hive

put the sugar syrup on all but one hive which was full of stores
so just to fill them all up with stores then put them to bed till December[ oxalic acid time ]

Reduced the super hive to brood and a half at long last (and I think that is pushing it a bit) so clearer board on for the other super (which will go under one of the other hives after Apiguard has finished) and they were not best pleased looking forward to saturday (NOT!) as their the last lot for the Apiguard .
Put apiguard on the Garn cottage hives - the swarm I caught end ofJjuly have turned into a right bunch of Sh!ts - noticed that a fortnight ago - loads of pinging, following, stinging the suit etc. There were eggs there when i first noticed this behaviour, but I'm not going to poke around the box at this time of the year, if they are Q- well, sad but one less hive in the spring. I'll just have to wait and see - if she's still there in the spring she'll be taking a holiday in Mrs fFreezer's guest house anyway!
Checked inspection boards of the hives that began their treatment last Saturday - only one mite thus far between four hives.

Spinning and potting, spinning and potting, spinning and potting............still, the weathers crap and at least I have some honey if a very, very much reduced yield......what a **** year here in south west France, worst I've ever known.

Chris

MAQS applied!

so quickly off with roof, closed cover board, super, QX, put on strips ontop of "half", QX, super, cover board and roof back on.

5 mins if not less.

Third treatment with Apilife. Super with stores under BB. Also fed more Ambrosia. They've taken down about one and a half feeders of it so far. Bees still very busy. Late balsam coming in. Ivy due to flower in about 2-3 weeks.

I noticed yesterday that the Jaspers were a little aggresive one tagged me and caused my hand to swell up, Today I decided to do a mostly non invasive inspection, I had to trundle back to the shed and suit up not because of the girls but bl##dy jaspers! half were dopey sitting on a couple of hives others seemed to think I was a dartboard, I have no Idea what there problem was, smoke wasn't phasing them much either, Girls were quiet some still finding what appears to be dandilions.

Latest posts

Back