What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. How long does it keep once it's been made up?

If you keep in a sealed container, indefinitely I would think.. (Chinese takeaway trays are ideal)

I store my thymol in a sealed plastic tub and it lasts for years.. Vegetable oil in a sealed container has a shelf life of at least a year. Add the two together and I cannot see a shelf life under 12 months.

But I only mix enough for my immediate (two days' needs) . If I need more , I make some more up.

Thanks - I've got some in a jar from last year. It should be okay :)

Inspected my home hives today.

One of them is generally more stroppy than the other.
For the first time, I got a bit anxious about their persistant attention.
I'll have to think about that one. It's not like me. Usually feel quite calm and in control.

Dusty

Put 14 supers back onto the hives as the bees are now at last onto the balsam

After a weeks holiday I got round half my hives today, all seem pretty happy and a mix of some that are still bringing in nectar and others that seem to have stopped for the moment.
Keeping fingers crossed for good weather the next two days so I can finish inspections before another week away working.

Friday took off a super's worth of honey (about 7-8kg - scales had broken). Today took off half a national super and, what I think may be, a full commercial super. So far over 18kg honey. In total running at about 27kg from two hives - one was a nucleus in May, the other in June. There is about a super and a half yet to come. (And I will be leaving them a super each.) Bountiful year!

Inspected my home hives today.

One of them is generally more stroppy than the other.
For the first time, I got a bit anxious about their persistant attention.
I'll have to think about that one. It's not like me. Usually feel quite calm and in control.

Dusty
Understandable Dusty, a full size colony that ain't happy can be very intimidating and then you are distracted and they pick up on it, I'm sure. No shame in walking away when this happens.
Next visit, slap on a couple of extra layers and try to keep your eyes and your mind only on the frames and what you are looking for. Be controlled and purposeful and talk to them or yourself to help restore your confidence.

Made up some of HM's Thymol Oil (soaked in into kitchen towels) and applied them today; saw my first 'wild' Varroa Destructor a few hours later when taking a peak at the boards. Aisha's hive is taking the treatment (and feeding) very well. Margaret's is making much more of a fuss - though I also had to correct some wonky comb in theirs so they're fending off a few robbers.

Happy with how both hives are looking. Interested to see what the dropped mite count is after 24hrs.

A quiet morning in the training apiary planned - with one queen to kark and little else. I got there nice and early to see a truck already parked by the gate - pigeon shooter maybe? I thought but then i saw the gas bottle in the back - it's our SBI (he's also a farrier - which is handy if you want any of the bees shod) at a loose ned so thought i'd do an inspection - didn't anyone tell you? 'No :banghead:) so, inspected the training hives (mine included) and marked the new queen in mine to also find a supersedure cell - Ah well, let them get on with it! Then went and inspected all the members' hives and kept the best (well, most bonkers one) 'til last (who says bees don't take on the traits of their owners - mine are always laid back if a bit hairy :D) then had to stand around the jep fully suited for a quarter of an hour whilst said bonkers bees who'd followed me in a big cloud gave up and buggered off!. Great experience for the beginners going through all the hives with a very informative and knowledgeable inspector, and of course to experience a moderately (well, maybe a bit worse) agressive hive - for three guests it was their first time near bees and they coped admirably.
Then back home two hours late to a loving wife (cold tongue for a 2pm Sunday lunch eh? mmmmmHmmmmm ) then to my own bees and managed to mark all the remaining bees - one red (this year's queen introduced last month) and one pink (swarm queen, age not known) reminds me of the good days last year working with Chris B -but with a little less whip cracking :D (got to be careful now - don't want to be seen disabusing the forums great and knowledgeable :eek::D)
And the good news is - the bees are on the balsam at last :hurray:

Bees on balsom ?? Good news going 2 have a look at mine next week at the balsom.. Take a few more supers{hoping] im not planning on marking any more of this years queens until next year.. Ive marked 3 up to now this year and the bees bumped one off.. New queen hatched not laying yet.. Iff she does i will unite with another hive

It seems the bees from all areas are now onto the balsam:hurray::hurray:

Viz a Viz my last post, just realise that the SBI will have to access my records to update the inspection of my training hive - that means he'll see how many hives I've got at home and probably think 'hmmm one stop shop nine hives, that'll help my figures' so I think i can expect a call! - now where was that thread on washing bee suits!

Jenkinsbrynmair, there's something you've not grasped here.

Bet you were late for tea, too.

Dusty

Now now, less of your backchat, I'm sure i can just about squeeze myself above you in the hiererchial chart :D
Note to self - put lid on POSCA pen before vigorously shaking!:D so maybe not too far off the mark (or marks!)

Bet you were late for tea, too.

Dusty

Yes, I was late for tea as Garn cottage meant a long yarn about fishing, the grouse, and the bees, expected yield this year and positions for next years bait hives - also missed chapel so there's a black mark!

Mine are on the balsam but anything they bring in now will be for them to have over winter. One nuc appears to have lost out to the wasps despite my best efforts, leaving me 4 big(ish) colonies and 2 nucs.

Less wasps than last week as I destroyed a wasp nest, but there must be another one around somewhere.

Moved a crown board under a super of honey that was almost capped over last week. Now it is being robbed so will take off tomorrow put in nuc box and shake off the marauders, before brushing lingerers and transferring for extraction. grrrrr.

Back