What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked the last of the Apidea's, found eggs so made nucs up which will be moved to our new out apiary tomorrow. Waiting for refractometer which should turn up tomorrow. Had to send one back already as the disk with the measurements on it had slipped and was out of alignment. So will check the uncapped and any which does not make the grade will leave on for the bees.

It's been a good second season.

Introduced my friend's grandson, aged six, to the bees Keeping him at a good distance from the hive inhabitants that stung me yesterday.

Very pleased with it have a look at the thread i started on it

I didn't apiarise today ... instead me and SWMBO went to a lavender farm - fascinating ! Watched a demonstration about how they distill the essential oil out of the actual lavender.

Just thousands of bumbleybees all over the lavender but not a single honeybee - asked the farmer why he didn't have hives - reason: He had them previously on a seasonal basis from a local BKA and the bees were so agressive they chased the workers whenever they appeared to cut the lavender so he had to ask for the hives to be removed. So now no honeybees on his 50 acres of lavender - so sad.

Was going to be a cheap day out then succumbed to temptation of three lavender plants - bumble bees were all over them as soon as I put them in the back garden - left the Loostrife round the pond as soon as they got wind of the lavender !

Last edited:
Spent some time looking for the nest of the wasps pestering my hives; eventually found it and dealt with it.

Took the rest of this seasons honey from my hives, which was only about 30lbs and extracted it later on.

Checked my nuc which was wasp infested yesterday and it seemed not too bad - new queen has been laying (BIAS) but couldn't see her. Added a frame of emerging brood from another nuc. Entrance down to about 2 bee spaces. Hopefully they will bounce back.

My experimental poly hive has done really well so I think I will head down the poly hive route in future.

Introduced my friend's grandson, aged six, to the bees
Did you use a puzzle cage, butler cage or the jz-bz type?
Hope you put a piece of tape over the candy for them to get used to the smells before they release him.:D

Treated 4TBHs and 2 warre with HM's varroa recipe this am. Not too hot and slightly windy. Bees - as usual - did not like it.. and are now bearding on entrances and fronts of hives. No doubt they will settle down eventually.

Got three more to do : largest and most populous TBHs which I am leaving until tomorrow when hopefully the other hives will have settled down. I also want to remove more honey before treating.

OK - The hive from hell must die - or at least be re-queened...but I do wonder if they are beyond help.

As I walked towards the hive...they flew out in a massive cloud and surrounded me - before I had even touched the hive I received my first sting...and my suit took at least 40. I managed to straighten up the hive (where it was put together by my Oh badly last time they attacked hard). Tried light syrup and smoke and they just took no notice.

Dashed for the bushes and thought I was bee free - but in the house 2 appeared to carry on the fight. We live in a bungalow, and our bedroom window faces the hives and bees flew to the room as soon as I stepped in! By the time I had closed the window I had 5 followers and it took 20 minutes to clear the room...

Re-queen or what?

Collected the same swarm twice!! I have now left them in a poly nuc with a frame of stores to settle in with. Whether they decide to stay or not is another matter!!

Collected the same swarm twice!! I have now left them in a poly nuc with a frame of stores to settle in with. Whether they decide to stay or not is another matter!!
Stick a piece of queen excluder over the entrance for three or four days

If it is that small is it a cast?

Casts often abscond, closing them in for too long is not good as the queen is about ready to be mated. Your choice. Maybe better with some open brood to look after.

Took delivery of my sale items from T*****s the downside was SWMBO saw them....... oops!

Nothing much - started back in work today well, sort of 'attended the local office' so I could try and sort the rest of my life out with my managers would be a better off term so still in limbo but sat in front of a computer dealing with a bunch of nutters (same as I've been doing at home for the last few months bout not much bee talking:D) But they are letting me loose on some immigrants tomorrw at the enquiry office (I'm good at that - shouting at foreigners!) SWMBO thinks i should go back on sick and wait to be pentioned off so I can do something different like beekeeping/peddling beekeeping kit for a living :eek: I can feel my back getting worse already :D
got back home and stood in the apiary for a while - gone seven by this time and the bees were still busy - maybe they've found some more forage couldn't quite make out in the shade but a grey/beige type of pollen coming in by the shedload, don't think it's balsam (no other signs) so maybe bindweed or something.

Latest posts

Back