What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your pitiful ignorance of my husbandry to yourself instead of pronouncing ex-cathedra.

What is there about your husbandry to be ignorant of??

From what I can tell you just shove your bees into a straw dome and leave alone all year. Really you don't sound like a beekeeper, but a bee owner!!

Unless I am seriously mistaken and that I misunderstood your piece on countryfile that seemed to anthropomorphise your bees as you persistently claimed that your bees are kind and friendly.

I doubt they are so friendly to other beekeepers in the area who won't appreciate varroa, not to mention other diseases, infested swarms inhabiting their bait hives!!

M

From what I can tell you just shove your bees into a straw dome and leave alone all year.

I doubt they are so friendly to other beekeepers in the area who won't appreciate varroa, not to mention other diseases, infested swarms inhabiting their bait hives!!

M

I'm sure Heidi is more than capable of fighting her corner but you are wrong ...

From what I can tell you just shove your bees into a straw dome and leave alone all year. Really you don't sound like a beekeeper, but a bee owner!!

Unless I am seriously mistaken and that I misunderstood your piece on countryfile that seemed to anthropomorphise your bees as you persistently claimed that your bees are kind and friendly.

M

Read some Tolstoy, it will do you good. And stick to the theme of this thread.
Tell us about the bees you keep.

I went very quickly through the hive ... they have drawn out comb on the foundationless frame I put in last Friday and there is now capped brood on all the other four frames. I added two more frames for them to expand into but kept them dummied down to seven frames in total. They were a swarm collected on 31st May, transferred with one drawn frame a week later and have been fed 1.5 litres 1:1 in total.

This is the frame that was added last Friday and the other one was added the previous week.

Oh ... and that's the frame hanger being used that some of you will have seen on my 'My New Hive' thread ...in action and it works a treat !

PS: Still behaving themselves, no smoke, no water spray, no pings, stings or bumping ... good girls.

Yes, nice frames. I have only been using 1 wire on standard seconds 14x12's. I have to be a little gentle with them. I see you have a taper on the top bar too. A little bit more sticking surface? Looks like they get on with the 2 wires no problem? Certainly swarms and queens use fresh drawn, not from foundation comb as a preference I have noted.
Do you do 1 wire on your supers?

M

Poor post,very poor post and full of unfounded assumptions.

You don't have a monopoly on what constitutes "Beekeeping" or the healthiness of another persons colonies.

Chris

Yes, nice frames. I have only been using 1 wire on standard seconds 14x12's. I have to be a little gentle with them. I see you have a taper on the top bar too. A little bit more sticking surface? Looks like they get on with the 2 wires no problem? Certainly swarms and queens use fresh drawn, not from foundation comb as a preference I have noted.
Do you do 1 wire on your supers?

Thanks. Yep they feel pretty secure when you handle them. I've no supers ... hive is a bit off the wall: Check it out:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24058

Poor post,very poor post and full of unfounded assumptions.

You don't have a monopoly on what constitutes "Beekeeping" or the healthiness of another persons colonies.

Chris

I agree - there are many different ways of beekeeping, and just because you are not treating for verroa does not mean that the bees are unhealthy - what is essential is that the beekeeper is knowledgeable about disease, and prepared to act if necessary. As discussed in other threads, bad application of treatment can be worse than no treatment, it is not a case of "treatment good" /"no treatment bad".

C'mon children not on this thread the odd comment/riposte is acceptable - but it's turning into a debate now which should really be in...................that place - you know, the naughty corner, 'the dark side' or 'Pesticides, environmental and political issues' as it's so quaintly called :D

C'mon children not on this thread the odd comment/riposte is acceptable - but it's turning into a debate now which should really be in...................that place - you know, the naughty corner, 'the dark side' or 'Pesticides, environmental and political issues' as it's so quaintly called :D

And why do you think that is? Because there are people who simply cannot resist engaging in abusive behaviour under cover of their pseudonyms. Sad cowardly behaviour, to put it euphemistically.
By the way, Mr Jenkins, what's it got to do with crop protection agents?

found and marked three new queens, one hatched tree days ago gone not in hive , will give her till tomorrow if she hasn't returned she's homeless.

Cast swarm with mated queen

Checked one of my cast swarm colonies today, hived twelve days ago, and - lo'and behold - seven magnificent combs within Dadant-style frames, home-built (no foundation in use round here) and four sides of just sealed brood!

This, according to M. L. Winston, happens, but for me it was a first.
The colony from which this cast issued (2nd cast) has thrown another one since, which I intend to look through next week, weather permitting.

I would be interested from the more experienced out there whether you have observed this; I am aware that virgins will sometimes be allowed to co-exist but had no idea that they were still tolerated after returning from a mating flight.
I suppose it might have been her return that triggered the swarm.

There is little room for error as the parent hive concerned has been under constant observation, and their first swarm was indisputably a prime swarm with a mated queen, whose progeny has been engaged in orientation flights for a day or two.

I have this on my wall. I try to read it most days.

1z14o42.jpg

19 jars of honey from a super I extracted last week. Not a very interesting site to most but this is the first time I've bottled a harvest to try and sell so I thought I'd share. Labels coming by post.

kcmsk2.jpg

2v7w2ue.jpg

2w3tcux.jpg

I probably lost half a jar in dribbles here and there but I have a storage bucket with a valve on the bottom to pour it properly in future.

Last edited:
19 jars of honey from a super I extracted last week. Not a very interesting site to most but this is the first time I've bottled a harvest to try and sell so I thought I'd share. Labels coming by post.

kcmsk2.jpg

2v7w2ue.jpg

2w3tcux.jpg

I probably lost half a jar in dribbles here and there but I have a storage bucket with a valve on the bottom to pour it properly in future.

Well done, your bees and you; the first harvest is unforgettable, thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Technically it is my second harvest. I got about the same at the end of last summer but gave most of it away to friends and family so didn't jar any to sell. I told myself not to be so generous this year because I could do with some money but I've already given a jar to a tutor who helped me through college. It's hard to take money from friends and family

Thanks. Technically it is my second harvest. I got about the same at the end of last summer but gave most of it away to friends and family so didn't jar any to sell. I told myself not to be so generous this year because I could do with some money but I've already given a jar to a tutor who helped me through college. It's hard to take money from friends and family

Well done Ely ... that looks lovely honey. You get back in this world what you
dish out so a few jars given away to those you feel deserve something special is all good in my book !

Cheers dude

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back