What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-8c overnight.
Nice and sunny today.
Exhausted by all the bailey comb changes I have done so scheduled full inspections of nucs today. :eek:

Hi there. 👋
Can I ask why your doing today : an Inspections of your Nucs' ?
See your in Stoke-on-Trent. . .
What's your reason / Rationale???
Are your Nucs : in Wood or the Poly types.
Thoughts :
I would say, it's way to Cold and too early in the Year, to be opening up any Colonies. 😳
Asking a "Question":
Gives an Insight and a Learning process to others who may read your thread comment. . .
And wonder : Why ???
We are also intrigued re Reason !?!
Send Beek wishes from a Sub-Zero Scottish Borders. 😏

@MeAndMyBees he is taking the mickey, making fun out of the idea. There is an odd notion doing the rounds that bailey changes and shook swarms are the cure for all ills, regardless. They do have their place in the toolbox of course just as a hammer has for some things.

Hi there. 👋
Thoughts :
I would say, it's way to Cold and too early in the Year, to be opening up any Colonies. 😳
Asking a "Question":
Gives an Insight and a Learning process to others who may read your thread comment. . .
Where’s your sense of humour?

-8c overnight.
Nice and sunny today.
Exhausted by all the bailey comb changes I have done so scheduled full inspections of nucs today. :eek:
-8.5 here this morning and I got stung loads yesterday, also watched a swarm leave a double brood while I was in the bottom box of a demaree, true story ! Just wrong time of year.😁

-8.5 here this morning and I got stung loads yesterday, also watched a swarm leave a double brood while I was in the bottom box of a demaree, true story ! Just wrong time of year.😁
So refreshing to see only the one capital letter 😉

Where’s your sense of humour?
I have humour ! 😄 🤭🙃
But I think it's important. . .to show someone may 'think' its OK to "open up a Nuc" because someone else has ! 😳
It's important to understand the 'reason or action."
Have fun, see the humour. . . But also be their to support and advise.
When someone might not know / or understand the 'consequences' of opening 'their Nucs' !
Regards to you &Forum Members. 😎

I have humour ! 😄 🤭🙃
But I think it's important. . .to show someone may 'think' its OK to "open up a Nuc" because someone else has ! 😳
It's important to understand the 'reason or action."
Have fun, see the humour. . . But also be their to support and advise.
When someone might not know / or understand the 'consequences' of opening 'their Nucs' !
Regards to you &Forum Members. 😎
If you read the whole thread it’s obvious. Nobody…. not even a beginner would fail to appreciate we are not serious

Well ….maybe not the WHOLE thread

Hi there. 👋
Thoughts :
Asking a "Question":
Sorry but I thought the smiley at the end made it obvious I was being facetious. As I was with my prior post on this thread.

It's a gorgeous sunny day here - but freezing - and beekeeping is not a job I intend to indulge in this week. Next week I will check stores on nucs: I am feeding some fondant. I also have an overwintering double Keiler which I hope will survive this weather.. Last time it looked it was full of bees - and fondant on the topbars.(the bees don't enter the side feeder as too cold)

Sorry but I thought the smiley at the end made it obvious I was being facetious. As I was with my prior post on this thread.

It's a gorgeous sunny day here - but freezing - and beekeeping is not a job I intend to indulge in this week. Next week I will check stores on nucs: I am feeding some fondant. I also have an overwintering double Keiler which I hope will survive this weather.. Last time it looked it was full of bees - and fondant on the topbars.(the bees don't enter the side feeder as too cold)
Smiley Face. . . .Chattering Teeth here ! It's Freezing ! 🤭
Yes, I have a sense of humour, but on an awful Wintery Day, thought I would catch up on Threads between errands.
Think some might drop in, read a comment & maybe not understand what's 'said' joking apart.😏
We were all 'newbies' at one time, but I'd hate it, if 'they' read it quickly and popped a Nuc Lid, cos it got mentioned !? A joke gone wrong, that's serious.
Still finding my bearings on this Forum...Maybe chat/joke/jest etc in a "Chat" Thread...
Some come here asking 'HowTo' ?
(to go thru endless 😄's ???...)
on a Tread started by a genuine question. 🙄

Genuinely hope Folks Nucs n Hives survive this Arctic Blast. . .
Brrr. 🥶
The only Nucs I will be looking at,
is the huge Box at the Door DXExp just delivered : from a Fab Bee Site Sale ! 'stroking'... Poly Lids... Not !
More Nucs : Happy Beek ! (😄)

Moved the first couple of hives to a new apiary site at a HUGE local garden centre. Hoping they'll stock my honey!

View attachment 38651
Got a Coffee, settled the Bees in. Now where the 'ec did I park my Car ? 🙄
Looks like a Swarm of January Sales Bargin Hunters. Filled the Car Park to bursting Point. What a Sticky Situation to be in. . .
I'll let myself out (Go !!!) 🤭

During the night and great part of a day we had some snow fallen.. Strong wind..
Yesterday managed to check one apiary ( gave 1st fondants, seems brood started).. One colony which seemed odd to me - KO, varroa. I think reinvasion hit it due to robbing somewhere ( one " wild" apiary is forcible set too near to mine, I think there is no more bees..). No brain - no pain for some.. and I can eat what is not for eating..
IMG_20240119_125110_compress89.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240119_121131_compress53.jpg
    IMG_20240119_121131_compress53.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240119_122319_compress7.jpg
    IMG_20240119_122319_compress7.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240119_134655_compress61.jpg
    IMG_20240119_134655_compress61.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240119_125250_compress79.jpg
    IMG_20240119_125250_compress79.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 1
During the night and great part of a day we had some snow fallen.. Strong wind..
Yesterday managed to check one apiary ( gave 1st fondants, seems brood started).. One colony which seemed odd to me - KO, varroa. I think reinvasion hit it due to robbing somewhere ( one " wild" apiary is forcible set too near to mine, I think there is no more bees..). No brain - no pain for some.. and I can eat what is not for eating..
View attachment 38664
Brr... Thought it was Cold 🥶 here in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 But with you it looks way more Snowier and Colder !!! 👀
Do you have a longer 'Winters' than the UK, (or is your locality nearer to Spring,) occurring sooner than us !?
Is your Apiary in an Orchard of Young Fruit Trees, or similar ? Interesting ! Nice Images of the Apiary & all. . . 👍
Glad you Hound likes playing in the 'White Stuff'. Mine thinks it's all for Grabs. Snuffles and 'eats at it' like it's 'Candy Floss' or something.
Treats it like it's never seen 'it' before. But it's always repeated 'Annually.' (Unless Global Warming is more advanced than we 'think' !?) Bees would like that. 🌼👍🌻
Not so the Ski and Curling Folk, who love this recent super big Freeze.🤭

We have lost our normal climate. Before cold weather start for real in Oct. and mostly stay till April/May. Not rarely temps stayed in range of minus 10C. Now we have I don't know what to say. For example yesterday was plus 15C, and some near stormy wind with rain came and all stopped. In the late night started snowing with strong wind and now is some minus 2 to minus 4C. Day temp will be around plus 2C. But in second half of next week will be again above plus 10C and no minus temps during night..
One apiary is at the end of our hazels, 2nd 500m away.
Dogs like to dive into snow and really enjoy it.
Bees and climate change, in our experience less honey we get and more problems in beekeeping.

Found my first casualty of the winter yesterday, was hefting a few in my isolation apiary and whilst peering through the the acrylic crown board I noticed the cluster was small and no sign of movement. A quick lift of the crown board confirmed their demise. 😔
They were a late swarm so I am not surprised they didn’t make it.

Back