What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a lull in the relentless rain yesterday, I wanted to try to rescue the three colonies most affected by exhaust fumes from a couple of weeks ago (two hives and one nuc) and found very small colonies in both hives clustered under the fondant - one with an intact queen, one with a dead queen on the floor and the nuc was bereft of bees except for about a dozen plus the queen on one comb. I thought she was dead but as I picked her up, she waved her legs. So I have put the hives in a poly nuc each and run (put!) the weak queen from the dead out nuc into the entrance of the queenless colony with some air freshener. The bees were attentive and trying to feed her so hoping all might be ok now they have less space to heat. All now have extra stores & fondant to keep them going.
Fingers crossed.
There's always hope .. it's amazing how small colonies can recover and survive.

16c here today and I’ve just been watching the mini nucs bringing in white and yellow pollen, going out in the field tomorrow to heft and add insulation to the ones I’ve missed .
I’m three quarters the way through jarring and labelling 600 hundred jars.

Been putting on woodpecker guards today but it was fascinating watching some orientation flights being taken mid morning instead of in the afternoon. I assume they do it at the best part of the day,
IMG_2544.jpeg

Spent a while yesterday here in the middle of the day looking for a queen. The day was blue with the sun getting high overhead now. UV on 8. The bees were calm as anything but I started to lose confidence as I'd also had trouble the day before on another hive looking for a queen, and this one was proving difficult too. Finally, there she was on the lower lug of the last and 16th frame (second time around)...I'd missed her on the first look and had stood the frame up to go back over it. Very prominent tiger stripes and very keen not to be seen.

Last night when feeding I may have got the Jazz stuck in a field for a bit...
Maybe the Honda tardis isn’t quite as good as first described 😂
I can’t talk though, I got the Berlingo stuck in a ploughed field twice in the spring!!! 🥲

And this, if you need to mow around the hives?
B05CDA31-1056-49FD-A054-AFC65F778CE5.jpeg

Last night when feeding I may have got the Jazz stuck in a field for a bit...
Not nice, especially when the only way out is to go further into the field in the hope that you manage to get going and generate some momentum.

Been putting on woodpecker guards today but it was fascinating watching some orientation flights being taken mid morning instead of in the afternoon. I assume they do it at the best part of
Help me somebody. I don't know if a five day interval is Monday to the same time on Friday or Saturday.
Even if you do go 6 days don’t worry about it , Ive had to leave it on day 5 for a second round because of the weather .

Latest posts

Back