What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely to see the bees enjoying the anenomes. Sneaky little spider chancing his luck which has paid off

Attachments

• PXL_20230814_133349375.jpg
    PXL_20230814_133349375.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230814_133146341~3.jpg
    PXL_20230814_133146341~3.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230814_133148816.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230814_133148816.MP.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Lovely to see the bees getting out and about. Sneaky little spider chancing his luck, and succeeding by the look of it!!!

Going to check on a couple of nucs today that were late splits - some very full hives still producing QCs.....
Spent the morning in the sun painting some nuc boxes that needed doing and making up syrup ready for autumn. This makes me sad as it starts to signal the end of the season.

I opened up a nuc that I bought last weekend, I didn't need it but it was so cheap it would have been rude not to have it.
This nuc has been in a corrugated plastic transport box for weeks and is rammed with stores and lots of comb in the roof void.
I thought I'd move them into their new home but the moment i lifted the lid they went absolutely mental, by the time I had carefully removed the brace comb my visor was covered with bees.
I copped four stings to my legs as I just had work trousers on.
I decided to shut the lid and leave the buggers to it.

I opened up a nuc that I bought last weekend, I didn't need it but it was so cheap it would have been rude not to have it.
This nuc has been in a corrugated plastic transport box for weeks and is rammed with stores and lots of comb in the roof void.
I thought I'd move them into their new home but the moment i lifted the lid they went absolutely mental, by the time I had carefully removed the brace comb my visor was covered with bees.
I copped four stings to my legs as I just had work trousers on.
I decided to shut the lid and leave the buggers to it.
Is that why they were cheap do you think?

No apiary work, but plenty of sweat in a waspiary today, sealing the extraction room roof from determined yellows and failing to expel several hundred. Will extract with a beesuit next time - had a swelling-itching-like-hell sting last week while trying to evict them. Bees 100m away untouched, but then colonies & nucs are all strong.

They were crammed into a space that meant opening created too much disturbance for them?
Hope that's the case and they settle down nicely after the transfer.

Gave every hive a good sort out. Left one super on each and getting them to rob back uncapped frames into those part filled supers. Too many wasps to risk nadiring. Had a good crop this year. Well over 100lbs which is good for here. There will be no need to autumn feed which is good. Still bringing nectar in too.

Tackled them again today with a suit on, they were not at all happy and with good reason.
After removing all the extra comb from the frames and roof I found the frames were stuck to the sides of the box with lots of brace comb, I had to tear the box apart and carefully cut the excess away then move to a new box.
After the first two I realised that some were shallow frames as well.
Didn't look for the queen or eggs as my glasses fell off and I didn't want to risk opening my veil.
Why would someone make up a nuc in a plastic transport box then leave for so long?
I'll leave them to it for a couple of weeks with a feed.
I checked my other hives and a couple are working to fill the supers I put back on a couple of weeks ago but others in the same apiary and of similar strength haven't progressed at all

Above
Checked the introduction cage after lunch. Twenty or so bees all with their proboscis out feeding the queen. So…… just let her out. Gorgeous orange queen from Lawrence. She gave me a bit of a turn as she walked about on the top bars for a bit then disappeared.
Hooray
She lives!

Enjoying the summer weather today.
Lots of pollen being collected. Very little nectar coming in.
Removed some supers of honey.
Only have a small crop this year due to last year's winter losses.
Should be able to leave a super of honey on each hive for winter

Today: checked a couple of colonies with a view to uniting them. One was my old queen from 2020 who produced the calmest stillest bees I've had (hence keeping her after she swarmed this year).
Bees much "runnier" and more defensive than previously - couldn't find the Q but eggs and bias.
I was planning to dispatch the other Q and unite but will have to rethink as I suspect they have superceded her 😔
At least the other hive was better behaved than expected, the unite will probably be the other way around!

Checked all colonies today, confirmed a drone layer. Might be lucky enough to get a mated queen otherwise it's shake out or its doomed.

I was planning to dispatch the other Q and unite but will have to rethink as I suspect they have superceded her 😔
At least the other hive was better behaved than expected, the unite will probably be the other way around!
I spend hours making plans.
Only to have to rethink them when I open the hive

Latest posts

Back