What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We pop the bee escape on the crown board and the fondant sits in the cut out square of insulation

Had the builders round at one apiary to measure up for the new shed base, very cold here but still a few bees venturing out, then went over to Tŷ Uchaf to finish moving the bees and stands to the new apiary site.
As I was out and about I continued along the back lanes to Amanford to get some milk - I passed Pentwyn Farm which sits on a crossroads on the outskirts of Amanford and has been a landmark to generations of kids (some used to pass it daily on the school bus serving the kids in the outlying areas of our village) looking out over Amanford and beyond and known to us as 'the red barn' because funnily enough the very large hay barn, unlike the norm for here was not painted in black bituminous paint, but red. Well, red barn is no more - a casualty of either Arwen or Barra, the curved corrugated roof has gone and even the lean to roof on one side looks a wee bit tired. The roof has weathered far worse storms than that but I suspect was just a victim of old age.
What will people call the farm from now on?

Last edited:
Checked all hives had fondant and didn't need a top up. They do like having insulation... Was a bit slow getting it onto a couple of hives and I can see how much more active they are with it on! Losing one apiary this year as landowner selling up so gradually putting everything onto one winter site even though I don't really want all my eggs in one basket.

It's been cold here for at least three weeks <8C, but 12C forecast for Sunday, two days ahead. So, I visited all four apiaries and reversed the poly-carb crown boards = thin rim on top and thicker rim below. Bees were in tight cluster (6C today) - it's strangely satisfying to do minor hive manipulations and know that the bees won't rise in anger.
On Sunday I'll vape OA with my GasVap through a 8mm hole in the thick rim - bees hopefully will no longer be in a tight cluster.

It's been cold here for at least three weeks <8C, but 12C forecast for Sunday, two days ahead. So, I visited all four apiaries and reversed the poly-carb crown boards = thin rim on top and thicker rim below. Bees were in tight cluster (6C today) - it's strangely satisfying to do minor hive manipulations and know that the bees won't rise in anger.
On Sunday I'll vape OA with my GasVap through a 8mm hole in the thick rim - bees hopefully will no longer be in a tight cluster.

Looking at the forecast this might be an excellent weekend to treat so going to do so.

We've had several weeks of cold weather now and this weekend is giving a forecast of 13 so the cluster should be loose and all before winter solstice.

Went to the club apiary this morning where we could see trickling and vaping in action.
So went home and christened my GasVap. Got round the hives in no time at all. Great bit of kit.
All hives are a good weight still and no extra fondant needed.
6EC3194D-235F-48BD-A10B-85DE1478E29E.jpeg

4 C today so did nowt.
12C forecast tomorrow. Vaping weather.

Went to the club apiary this morning where we could see trickling and vaping in action.
So went home and christened my GasVap. Got round the hives in no time at all. Great bit of kit.
All hives are a good weight still and no extra fondant needed.
View attachment 29449
Looking good👍

Noticed there’s a lot of activity today at 10:30 this morning. Temp is about 12deg so looks like they are making the most of it. Wonder what forage there is at this time of year that’s gets them so excited as the ivy has passed now in this area.

Attachments

• 176F276F-1B54-4F2A-AFC2-440CF11DA652.MOV
    12.6 MB
Noticed there’s a lot of activity today at 10:30 this morning. Temp is about 12deg so looks like they are making the most of it. Wonder what forage there is at this time of year that’s gets them so excited as the ivy has passed now in this area.
Doesn’t look like there are any heading out anywhere. Mine were busy going out for a poo.

. Wonder what forage there is at this time of year that’s gets them so excited .
Nothing - just dumping their guts and maybe collecting some water
Vaped all the colonies this morning. 13 degrees here.
Wet and miserable here - also a bit groggy after my Covid booster yesterday evening so no playing with bees.

Doesn’t look like there are any heading out anywhere. Mine were busy going out for a poo.
Quite a few on the hive but there were several arriving and departing every second flying off towards the same direction at least 50m away from the hive before I lost sight of them. Do they fly off some distance to defecate or do they do it around the hive ?

Do they fly off some distance to defecate or do they do it around the hive ?
They usually do it on SWMBO's car in the side driveway, 100 yards away, or, same distance, my neighbour's Merc - which is nice

Nothing - just dumping their guts and maybe collecting some water

Wet and miserable here - also a bit groggy after my Covid booster yesterday evening so no playing with bees.
Take it easy. Paracetamol and lots of fluids (water!) helps a lot.

Latest posts

Back