What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good looking, wish my skills were half as good. What have you done/are you going to do regarding entrances?
Entrances are under discussion (with myself!). Not sure whether to go with a slot or holes and corks. I do want the entrance(s) on the broodbox side of central as I do not want the possibility of a virgin then mated queen arriving on the "super side" of the hive as I intend to have a queen excluder. AND must remember to site the entrance on the hinhed side or the roof so I'm not working with the crown jewels in front of the exit line of fire. I also don't want the entrance at the ends as I feel they will have miles to walk to the stores and it's not a true foundationless and frameless top bar hive. It's a bit like the Drayton hive but not at its cost!! I have wanted to dip the toe in the water of the 14"x12" brigade but not with the lifting of a whole full brood box so this is the chance and rationale. At about £50 to make it's worth a shot. HOWEVER an altercation with the circular saw has left a bit of a mess with the left thumb for now. Can only get better and will make me more careful.

Entrances are under discussion (with myself!). Not sure whether to go with a slot or holes and corks. I do want the entrance(s) on the broodbox side of central as I do not want the possibility of a virgin then mated queen arriving on the "super side" of the hive as I intend to have a queen excluder. AND must remember to site the entrance on the hinhed side or the roof so I'm not working with the crown jewels in front of the exit line of fire. I also don't want the entrance at the ends as I feel they will have miles to walk to the stores and it's not a true foundationless and frameless top bar hive. It's a bit like the Drayton hive but not at its cost!! I have wanted to dip the toe in the water of the 14"x12" brigade but not with the lifting of a whole full brood box so this is the chance and rationale. At about £50 to make it's worth a shot. HOWEVER an altercation with the circular saw has left a bit of a mess with the left thumb for now. Can only get better and will make me more careful.
Before you decide to drill any holes for entrances I think you should read up on managing a long deep hive. Have you considered making/using dividers (follow boards) ? I am guessing you have followed the idea of using 18 or so deep frames – bees generally do well in about 40 litres in volume box (what volume is your complete box?) – thats what they typically look for in a cavity when swarming – but it's not really enough volume to harvest any honey, so the available space often has movable boards/dividers which enable you to manage expansion to around double the volume. There are very often entrances at each end/side to enable other manipulations too. Then after your honey harvest and for the winter you can reduce the space again to keep them cosy.

Put clearer boards on two hives ready to take the last two supers off tomorrow. Brought in the bait hives. Got the other two colonies configured ready for winter (QEs out, second layer of insulation under the roof, insulated dummy boards in the double broods etc.). All full hives are looking really good for stores and probably won't need feeding. The nuc got a feeder full of honey/nectar that was spun out of some uncapped frames.
Just got to tidy the bee shed now - which looks like a bomb's hit it 😉

Before you decide to drill any holes for entrances I think you should read up on managing a long deep hive. Have you considered making/using dividers (follow boards) ? I am guessing you have followed the idea of using 18 or so deep frames – bees generally do well in about 40 litres in volume box (what volume is your complete box?) – thats what they typically look for in a cavity when swarming – but it's not really enough volume to harvest any honey, so the available space often has movable boards/dividers which enable you to manage expansion to around double the volume. There are very often entrances at each end/side to enable other manipulations too. Then after your honey harvest and for the winter you can reduce the space again to keep them cosy.
Follower board is all in place OK to increase and decrease the hive volume as required through the year as you rightly suggest There is room for a maximum of eighteen 14" x 12" frames - just looking forward to having a go next year. Isn't beekeeping so much fun?

Jarred up the last batch of 37 today ready to go to my wife’s pharmacy tomorrow. Sold 99 jars already in 3.5 weeks. This is the best batch out of the lot. Lovely zingy taste and is the one we sent off to the Honey Monitoring Scheme so will be interesting to see if it has got a decent lime content.

Attachments

• 13271D52-7B4C-491C-AA7B-A2092DE8DC97.jpeg
    13271D52-7B4C-491C-AA7B-A2092DE8DC97.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Follower board is all in place OK to increase and decrease the hive volume as required through the year as you rightly suggest There is room for a maximum of eighteen 14" x 12" frames - just looking forward to having a go next year. Isn't beekeeping so much fun?
Yes. I use cork sized holes or the smaller entrance disks.

Off today to the out-apiary to feed 25 colonies with another gallon of syrup each . When done most will have now had 12 kg sugar so nearing the end of feeding. Not waiting for the ivy as none anywhere within a mile or so. Don't feed the three hives at home as always get Ivy in abundance although not likely to flower for a few weeks as still in bud. Yesterday was the 63rd anniversary of going to my 1st beekeeping "class" in september 1958 and the beginning of a lifelong obsession.

Carried out my first real inspections for the last month or so because of extraction and treatments. Was pleasantly surprised that most of the brood boxes were full of brood and fresh nectar and really don't need the fondant that I was expecting to pop under the crown boards.
I'll leave them for another couple of weeks and check again.

Carried out my first real inspections for the last month or so because of extraction and treatments. Was pleasantly surprised that most of the brood boxes were full of brood and fresh nectar and really don't need the fondant that I was expecting to pop under the crown boards.
I'll leave them for another couple of weeks and check again.
I hope that's 'approved' fondant you're using not that unlicenced stuff

Yesterday I moved the hives down of the heather and this morning put clearer boards on some colonys, removed supers and brood boxes of honey this evening, condensed others and started varroa treatments got my inspection boards in and going to asses the out come. That's one apairy on its way into winter.
Extracted about 60 lb of honey more to extract on Monday and then continue with the other apairys.
Nice to see my queen mated up on the Heather and is laying well.

More jarring & labelling. Honey selling like hot cakes. Delivered 60 jars to the local farmshop on Sat 6 days ago, they emailed today asking for more. 70 more will be delivered tomorrow 😁

Latest posts

Back