What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the strangest thing happened.

A random box arrived with a pack of five supers, frames and foundation. Can't imagine how that happened. 😁

So put the boxes together today and will be making up frames Tomorrow.

Waiting for my random box... 😉

Last edited:
Well the strangest thing happened.

A random box arrived with a pack of five supers, frames and foundation. Can't imagine how that happened. 😁

So put the boxes together today and will be making up frames Tomorrow.
I'm sure you should have returned it to sender 😂

Not much today, still a bit cold, although the bees are piling in the pollen, also a bit tired, feeling the side effects of the covid jab.
Strapped up the two 'ASBO' hives at the home apiary to move them up to the range tomorrow.

Reorganised the bee shed with new shelving and hooks and gave everything in there a good spring clean. The supers can wait for slightly warmer weather before they get a spruce up.
Not quite 'in the apiary', but apiary adjacent - woke the tortoise up and got him set up in his house.

Watched a couple of very busy hives. Only about 20% bringing in pollen so what are the others carrying. There is not much nectar available (if any) so are they 80% on abortive foraging trips and have come home to have a snack to keep them going???

Watched a couple of very busy hives. Only about 20% bringing in pollen so what are the others carrying. There is not much nectar available (if any) so are they 80% on abortive foraging trips and have come home to have a snack to keep them going???
If you have willow there is nectar
They could of course be bringing in water

I've noticed if it's around 14c and we have some still weather for a while the salows are producing nectar.
If finman was replying he would say to taste the flowers... Something I've done and wished I hadn't with Certian flower's :laughing-smiley-004

Inspected today for the first time.
To just talk about most of the nucs( poly) which this winter I left the omf floors open all winter, well most have propolised the floor to a smallish hole interestingly last year they were all closed of and this didn't happen, hmmm What to do this winter:unsure::geek:

To just talk about most of the nucs( poly) which this winter I left the omf floors open all winter, well most have propolised the floor to a smallish hole interestingly last year they were all closed of and this didn't happen, hmmm What to do this winter:unsure::geek:
Give them top ventilation? ;)

Now that really is forward planning. Impressed😀

Interesting. None of my nucs have put any propolis on the OMF. Wasn't Derek M after pictures of propolised OMFs?

I am trying out "solid" floors (correx screwed over the OMF) on half of my hives and nucs this year

Interesting. None of my nucs have put any propolis on the OMF. Wasn't Derek M after pictures of propolised OMFs?
When I hive up I will take some photos.
They are my local queen's.
Amm locals with 4 frames of brood this time of year?
I am trying out "solid" floors (correx screwed over the OMF) on half of my hives and nucs this year
Let us know how you get on, some sure benefits for keeping them closed of all winter or even 3/4 solid floors.

Let us know how you get on, some sure benefits for keeping them closed of all winter or even 3/4 solid floors.

I don't know if that is true ... draught reducers around the bottom of the hives - yes .. closing off the mesh floors - not so sure. Mine all have OMF all year round .. the hive stands I make protect the bottom of the hives from draughts .. bees seem to be OK with this arrangement.

Latest posts

Back