What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope the hives are still standing blowing a gale here in Barry last night!!!!!

I'm just tidying up all the junk I left there over winter, still very muddy. Nice to see them flying.

Early fruits got scorched flowers, bees went straight to dead nettle. Now we have day of rain, day of sun.. Wild cherry still ( luckily) isn't opening buds.. So not all is waisted ( for now).. Suckers ( ticks) were active whole winter, hail to climate changes, now we will have invasion of them.. They seems are favoring this climate collapse.. They are breeding ( You can find 2 attached together - when checking our cats I find them as so). In a pic..

Attachments

• tick.jpg
    tick.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210313_175201_compress37.jpg
    IMG_20210313_175201_compress37.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 28
Weighed two hives and calculated about 12lbs and 15lbs of stores left. One of the hives has been storing nectar looking at a bit of comb they have built above the frames. All hives active and looking good so far.

Attachments

• D785D0FF-7AB5-4E92-8600-44FD82A117C6.jpeg
    D785D0FF-7AB5-4E92-8600-44FD82A117C6.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 38
  • 1A8793D2-C35C-4069-9FAD-2A5053FBE588.jpeg
    1A8793D2-C35C-4069-9FAD-2A5053FBE588.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
Early fruits got scorched flowers, bees went straight to dead nettle. Now we have day of rain, day of sun.. Wild cherry still ( luckily) isn't opening buds.. So not all is waisted ( for now).. Suckers ( ticks) were active whole winter, hail to climate changes, now we will have invasion of them.. They seems are favoring this climate collapse.. They are breeding ( You can find 2 attached together - when checking our cats I find them as so). In a pic..
That’s not nice, Goran - I’ve found a few ticks on my dogs this Winter too. Gruesome things!
Nice sunset pic👍

All colonies flying well this morning - dry, some sun - a bit breezy but didn't seem to be putting them off. Loads of pollen coming in - not sure what they are finding but there is early blossom about down here in the Costa del Fareham Stood and warched them for the first time this year with a short sleeved shirt on .... not quite spring but getting there ....

That’s not nice, Goran - I’ve found a few ticks on my dogs this Winter too. Gruesome things!
Nice sunset pic👍
Pretty frustrating.. Luckily I got these plastic " forks" which remove easily the ticks ( 100% so far without remaining part in flesh). They look stupid but work flawless.. Well, our property is surrounded with wilderness and cats have plenty of chances to get some.
Sunsets are really beautiful to watch but we are always in some rush and mostly have no time to enjoy in watching them.
Today is cold after heavy rain ( few hills behind me snow fallen). Bees won't get out today.. Up till now I lost overall 8 colonies during winter ( result of varroa - ineffective Checkmite). How I expected, I must shut my mouth.. I thought it would be massacre, but bees surprised me. What is left seems nice and thriving, except 2-3 colonies which might get over hump or not.. No worries..

All colonies flying well this morning - dry, some sun - a bit breezy but didn't seem to be putting them off. Loads of pollen coming in - not sure what they are finding but there is early blossom about down here in the Costa del Fareham Stood and warched them for the first time this year with a short sleeved shirt on .... not quite spring but getting there ....
Short sleeved shirt? Surprised you didn’t rush out and split a couple of colonies and put bait hives out🤪

No colonies flying here. It's not raining - the first dry day (so far) for over a week.
15mph wind and about 7C.

You southerners love to rub it in.:eek::mad::confused:

I think I'll take offence. :love::love:

No colonies flying here. It's not raining - the first dry day (so far) for over a week.
15mph wind and about 7C.

You southerners love to rub it in.:eek::mad::confused:

I think I'll take offence. :love::love:
You can have my fences any time you like ...they blow down every time we get what you would describe as a gentle breeze ! It was the first time today it was warm enough in the workshop to do a bit of turning without a jumper on ...i attacked a really gnarly plan of yes... fron a tree that was a sapling when Henry VIII was king ... not sure its going to work ... cracks, bark inclusions and grain that is so all over the place it's going to be beggar to get it to a finish. Might have bitten off more than I can chew this time it was so out of balance the lathe was walking round the workshop...

Attachments

• 20210315_075811.jpg
    20210315_075811.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 20210315_075819.jpg
    20210315_075819.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
What’s it supposed to end up as? Don’t say sawdust 😉
Eventually its destined to be a shallow bowl ... about 14" in diameter....its a work in progress.... if I'm lucky it wont explode and take my head off ...what you can see at present is the rough turned underside of the bowl...

Eventually the sun came out and I quickly checked everything and fed pollen patties. Lots of pollen around, very few dry days to collect enough so an insurance measure..

Still not 10C yet.. 2 jumper weather...:cool:

Pargyle's turning looks like a soldier's helmet...
(I'll get my coat.)

You can have my fences any time you like ...they blow down every time we get what you would describe as a gentle breeze ! It was the first time today it was warm enough in the workshop to do a bit of turning without a jumper on ...i attacked a really gnarly plan of yes... fron a tree that was a sapling when Henry VIII was king ... not sure its going to work ... cracks, bark inclusions and grain that is so all over the place it's going to be beggar to get it to a finish. Might have bitten off more than I can chew this time it was so out of balance the lathe was walking round the workshop...
That’s one heck of a crack in the wood!
Rather you than me....

Hive very active. Lots of bees flying and loads of pollen coming in, though from where heaven knows as it's still all browns and greys around us. Found this on the floor next to the hive and a dead bee.. hopefully was turfed out by the bees, or was never in the hive in the first place..:eek:... picked it up and fed it to the chickens :)
IMG_2096.jpeg

Latest posts

Back