What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some 40 mins ago again earthquake, approx same spot, but 6,3Richter now and it lasted 3-4times longer.. Damn.. this 2020. seems keeping its best for the end... Must see what damage it made at our property.. I don't know what to say or think..

Some 40 mins ago again earthquake, approx same spot, but 6,3Richter now and it lasted 3-4times longer.. Damn.. this 2020. seems keeping its best for the end... Must see what damage it made at our property.. I don't know what to say or think..
Hope you’re safe. Just seen a clip on the bbc news. 😢

Good luck Goran, 2020 has not been a good year anywhere but you seem to be getting an extra kick up the back just to add to the misery ...

I read a news link they say 6.4 magnitude and quite a powerful event, quite a bit of damage and persons injured.
All that matters is being safe and well.

Went up to the range to finish sorting out the tree felling I started yesterday, did some other tidying up around that area as well which has opened the apiary up a bit for the morning sun - which I noticed as soon as I arrived, looks like there may be room for some more hives there.
Feeling my age (and the various injuries accrued over the years) now, so relaxing evening with some cheese, a good 20 year old port and some industrial strength painkillers 😁

ash1.jpgash2.jpgash3.jpg

My dad was on the property and he said he thought our barn is history when quake happened, but it withstood.. Higher floors in the buildings felt it more. Near the epicenter, some 70km from us was really devastating.. So far as I read in the news 6 persons deceased and lot of buildings damaged.. Poor people, it struck them hard yesterday and today.. Where I work, there are also some cracks in concrete, but as it seems supports aren't damaged..
But back to beekeeping, today I met one beek and he said he lost 15 colonies and the others also have heavy losses this winter. Will see in spring what is true.. I will hesitate to sell colonies due to increased price for our honey..

My dad was on the property and he said he thought our barn is history when quake happened, but it withstood.. Higher floors in the buildings felt it more. Near the epicenter, some 70km from us was really devastating.. So far as I read in the news 6 persons deceased and lot of buildings damaged.. Poor people, it struck them hard yesterday and today.. Where I work, there are also some cracks in concrete, but as it seems supports aren't damaged..
But back to beekeeping, today I met one beek and he said he lost 15 colonies and the others also have heavy losses this winter. Will see in spring what is true.. I will hesitate to sell colonies due to increased price for our honey..
Glad to hear you’re okay Goran. What do people say (or you suspect) could be the cause for the high winter losses so far?

Glad to hear you’re okay Goran. What do people say (or you suspect) could be the cause for the high winter losses so far?

Varroa.. In summer I placed checkmite strips and I was suspecting that varroa is developing resistance to it. Even so, due to hard pressed with other obligations and work all day, I really wasn't able or willing to additionally use some other anti varroa treatments. Well, later on when I finished most of other work, I already saw some dwindled due to varroa. I eliminated them. Also I struck the varroa but will see in spring was it enough. I treated them with OA and after 7 days one of which I counted - around 130 varroa fallen..
Also others used bayvarol, which is also not efficient here any more..
I need some strips to be free in August for it cause have a lot other work I must run to finish ( hazels).. One year I made OA/gly strips and they were better than checkmite this year, I am thinking to make them for next season again.. will see..
Also when I am extracting, I shake bees in a bin from supers and shake back in hive. I plan to every time I return them after extraction to spray them with OA or beevital, or varomed, or something simmilar.. I won't kill all varroa, but will cut the rising curve of varroa population.. and these substances are natural compound of honey and won't later affect the honey..

Miticides like Bayvarol/Apistan has less effect once the mites have the resistance. Maybe think about vaping OA as a future treatment.

Miticides like Bayvarol/Apistan has less effect once the mites have the resistance. Maybe think about vaping OA as a future treatment.
No vaping OA, not keen of wearing masks. I need some longer solution to don't have to come in couple days with treatment repeat. So strips are toward I lean to ( put and go). With OA/gly.. I might change the strips in 14 days, might be better than last time. But again I have to play cook/chemist, will see..

Went up to the range to finish sorting out the tree felling I started yesterday, did some other tidying up around that area as well which has opened the apiary up a bit for the morning sun - which I noticed as soon as I arrived, looks like there may be room for some more hives there.
Feeling my age (and the various injuries accrued over the years) now, so relaxing evening with some cheese, a good 20 year old port and some industrial strength painkillers 😁

View attachment 23662View attachment 23663View attachment 23664
You can definitely get more in there now....

Yes we had the howling gale night before last, my apiary is pretty sheltered - I don't need to strap my hives down, I don't even have bricks on the roofs but at 3.00am the doors and windows were rattling, I could hear stuff blowing about in the garden and I couldn't sleep so I got up and went round to check the hives. The rain was horizontal and the noise of the wind in the trees (I have a 100' Lawsons Pine in the garden amongst other trees) was horrendous. Not as bad as the '87 storm but I reckon even inland a bit where we are in Fareham the wind at tree height was 50 to 60mph. My neighbour lost ridge tiles off his roof and there were a lot of trees, fences and branches down yesterday morning. Wet ground does not give a lot of grip to the roots ...quietened down now and after a cold day yesterday it's raining again !!
Good to hear all ok

Varroa.. In summer I placed checkmite strips and I was suspecting that varroa is developing resistance to it. Even so, due to hard pressed with other obligations and work all day, I really wasn't able or willing to additionally use some other anti varroa treatments. Well, later on when I finished most of other work, I already saw some dwindled due to varroa. I eliminated them. Also I struck the varroa but will see in spring was it enough. I treated them with OA and after 7 days one of which I counted - around 130 varroa fallen..
Also others used bayvarol, which is also not efficient here any more..
I need some strips to be free in August for it cause have a lot other work I must run to finish ( hazels).. One year I made OA/gly strips and they were better than checkmite this year, I am thinking to make them for next season again.. will see..
Also when I am extracting, I shake bees in a bin from supers and shake back in hive. I plan to every time I return them after extraction to spray them with OA or beevital, or varomed, or something simmilar.. I won't kill all varroa, but will cut the rising curve of varroa population.. and these substances are natural compound of honey and won't later affect the honey..
Hi Goran,
Glad you’re ok after the quake.

Re varroa, I would think 130 after seven days from treatment isn’t too huge an issue to be concerned over, but certainly will need reassessing.
I get what you say about vaping and masks and in my experience, using a Varrox might be worth looking at. What I like about it is the fumes don’t leak out of the hive for a couple of minutes, giving me every opportunity to get well away from the hive. Then just a paper mask is adequate (though I can hear howls of disagreement on this). I have used the Varrox for four years now on this basis without a sniff. Trouble is it’s time consuming.

I couldn’t help smiling at Checkmite. You could try Marmite, but apparently some varroa love it whole others hate it🤪🤪
I wish you all the best for 2021👍

Hefted my hive yesterday - couldn’t lift it so think stores are ok! Could also hear a gentle hum from inside when I pressed my ear to the brood box which was very reassuring. Too cold to peek inside.

Hefted my hive yesterday - couldn’t lift it so think stores are ok! Could also hear a gentle hum from inside when I pressed my ear to the brood box which was very reassuring. Too cold to peek inside.
This is the first winter I’m using polycarbonate CB’s. Works really well.
192F2540-32E0-4CB6-B60D-4EF2DBE4BAC5.jpeg54FD4655-2ABE-4291-96C0-72C7EB720DF1.jpeg

Had a lovely walk through the countryside looking out for signs of spring.

Attachments

• A517E57E-4BC6-4412-B603-A06D38A05142.jpeg
    A517E57E-4BC6-4412-B603-A06D38A05142.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 1C0342FB-5B47-4F2C-B926-B6FC07B11757.jpeg
    1C0342FB-5B47-4F2C-B926-B6FC07B11757.jpeg
    714.8 KB · Views: 8
Back