What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that.. have 12 sealed holes .. do they seal with wax as it looks more like a clay

Thanks for that.. have 12 sealed holes .. do they seal with wax as it looks more like a clay

As Erica said if it's Osmia bicornis they use mud. The females have two horn like projections on the face that they use to ball up damp mud to create their nest cells. If your garden is dry (as mine is right now) it's worth keeping a spot regularly watered and see if they find it. Later in the year you might be lucky enough to see leafcutters using your hotel and some species of Osmia use leaves and chewed up petals too to mould their cells so worth looking out for those.

Because the temperature is up enough and because I added a super to each hive the insulation would be so high away from the bees it would not do much good.

No .. it does a lot of good. The heat at the top of the hive is retained so the bees have an easier time of it in the super .. if it gets really warm then the insulation helps them to maintain the temperature they want. It's a win win situation with insulation on all the year round.

Same here, I use 25mm celotex that always stays on. It is only useless if I put a rapid feeder above the crown board. I have also blocked off all my crown boards and only re-open when using a rapid feeder.
..... and funnily enough, I don't use matchsticks;)

Last edited:
Nice to hear from you Kaz.

Yeh ... Welcome back Kaz ..been far too long - we need your knowledge of other insects on here. It's not all about the bees.

Thanks both, I've been busy while away. Good to be back though. I am desperately missing Dusty and his (my) bees ;)

Thanks both, I've been busy while away. Good to be back though. I am desperately missing Dusty and his (my) bees ;)

Yes Kaz has a blog on not-honey bees and she teaches other people about bees and wasps and is admin on the BWARS Facebook group.
Well, you won’t blow your own trumpet!
The rest of you old lags here will remember how Kaz came here for help with setting up a school project whilst being terrified of anything that buzzed in the air!
Wonderful talent and knowledge now. Look how we can all grow if we try.

Kaz you should put a link up to the blog.

I found an Ashy Mining bee in the garden yesterday and evidence if their nesting. It’s Kaz’s fault that I was so happy about it :D

Yes Kaz has a blog on not-honey bees and she teaches other people about bees and wasps and is admin on the BWARS Facebook group.
Well, you won’t blow your own trumpet!
The rest of you old lags here will remember how Kaz came here for help with setting up a school project whilst being terrified of anything that buzzed in the air!
Wonderful talent and knowledge now. Look how we can all grow if we try.

Kaz you should put a link up to the blog.

I found an Ashy Mining bee in the garden yesterday and evidence if their nesting. It’s Kaz’s fault that I was so happy about it :D

:iagree:

Kaz is the go to person when it comes to solitary bees, bumbles and wasps.

Thanks guys. I've just started writing a series of monthly blogs for Lancs Wildlife Trust on the bees and wasps you can find the certain points of the year, this is the first one. You can read it here and the second one will be going out in a few days -
https://www.lancswt.org.uk/blog/karen-mccartney/spring-bees-and-wasps

Bingevader the school project was 10 years ago and what brought me here to this forum, absolutely terrified of flying insects and finding myself the beekeeper for the hive in the project after the chap who was supposed to do it just couldn't get to grips with beekeeping. This forum became my mentor and the rest is history ;) you can find some images on my profile, it was a great project that I was only supposed to be involved in managing and finding money for but I'm glad it led me here. I made some of the best friends and still keep my hand in beekeeping going to Dusty's hives each weekend under usual circumstances but I'm still hopeless at the technical side of the craft lol

Goran your cells are Osmia bicornis - mason bee nests. They will build them in any old nook and cranny.

Thanks guys. I've just started writing a series of monthly blogs for Lancs Wildlife Trust on the bees and wasps you can find the certain points of the year, this is the first one. You can read it here and the second one will be going out in a few days -
https://www.lancswt.org.uk/blog/karen-mccartney/spring-bees-and-wasps

Bingevader the school project was 10 years ago and what brought me here to this forum, absolutely terrified of flying insects and finding myself the beekeeper for the hive in the project after the chap who was supposed to do it just couldn't get to grips with beekeeping. This forum became my mentor and the rest is history ;) you can find some images on my profile, it was a great project that I was only supposed to be involved in managing and finding money for but I'm glad it led me here. I made some of the best friends and still keep my hand in beekeeping going to Dusty's hives each weekend under usual circumstances but I'm still hopeless at the technical side of the craft lol

Goran your cells are Osmia bicornis - mason bee nests. They will build them in any old nook and cranny.

Thank you. :)

Cleared some laurel to make room for the mating nucs. My cell starter/raiser is ready to go and should get a graft done tomorrow or Thursday with a bit of luck:)

No .. it does a lot of good. The heat at the top of the hive is retained so the bees have an easier time of it in the super .. if it gets really warm then the insulation helps them to maintain the temperature they want. It's a win win situation with insulation on all the year round.

Well I disagree because in 2018 my hives were too warm in the height of summer. I would spray water onto them to try and cool them through the day. Was a bit of a wasted exercise to be fair as I’d be out all day.

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:In 2018 my poly - and wooden with poly covers- did not overheat . OMF or solid floor. And I bet we were warmer than Aberdeenshire... having lived there near Banchory -a god forsaken place particularly in winter.. and spring and summer ...........................and autumn :paparazzi:

You must have AMM bees unfit for any purpose: I am so sorry it's the gin and the gin and the champagne (ex Christmas gift) talking....:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back