What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is early.
This afternoon I transfered a nuc.
Did a box reversal on a brood and a half and watched willow Nectar and pollen being brought in.
A hand full of supers are ready with drawn comb.
efa0b29ab64da003a987885a9b519262.jpg

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Yesterday and today went through 2nd apiary. Strong annoying wind even sunshine.. Already one supercedure queen in one hive, by my mistake I removed old queen. I thought queen is failing and wanted to merge colony with other one, but just when removed old, I saw new one. I left it as it is, so will see..

Yesterday I inspected my two colonies. One had three frames of brood with plenty of space to expand. All looked healthy, with bees in all stages. I left them with liquid feed.

The second, on brood and a half above a nadired super, was bursting with bees - five frames of wall-to-wall brood and the rest almost full of stores, with BIAS. It came from a small swarm last summer so colour me impressed. So I installed a QX, popped the nadired super on top and left them to fill it. I'd expect to add another pretty soon, if things continue as is.

No drones yet...

(Hard typing this with a hand swollen from a couple of stings - they're just not used to being inspected yet....)

Yesterday I inspected my two colonies. One had three frames of brood with plenty of space to expand. All looked healthy, with bees in all stages. I left them with liquid feed.

Down south with gazillions of dandelions out do they really need syrup?
Just askin’

Down south with gazillions of dandelions out do they really need syrup?
Just askin’

Not just dandelion...cherries in full blossom, hazel, horse chestnut will be in the next day or so ... loads of garden plants - hellebores, lavender and still spring bulbs going strong .. rape in some parts about a week away and there's other stuff as well. 18 degrees today and rising ...

Need more room

attachment.php

Supered three
Started two Baileys

Attachments

• B57A3ADF-5209-457A-AACC-B5BFEF51A34C.jpeg
    B57A3ADF-5209-457A-AACC-B5BFEF51A34C.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 185
Fully inspected both colonies and one hive is as busy and nearly as full of bees as summer, not sure they didn't supersede in September as there was one queen cell, and we couldn't the marked Queen.

Her daughter in the other hive is not as prolific and quite a few playcups but nothing charged, so all good for now. plan to let someone with a failed colony have her and replace with a GM.

Only down side, there is a 180 acre field of OSR in flower about 200mtrs away and they are filling supers fast!!

Last edited:
nice full inspection in the sun.

Hive 1. checked all frames and tidied up any brace comb.
queen & plenty of brood - added super.

Hive 2. checked all frames, cleared floor of muck, then moved some grotty frames to edge of hive. Added 1 x super.

Hive 3. this hive went into winter with two x supers under brood box,
today my plan was to pop them back above a QX - but plans changed... both supers where full o stores - But mostly solid honey.
took both supers off. then added empty super above QX

What shall i do with set honey? first time i have encountered this?

Went through a dozen colonies today, marking queens. No drones on the combs but sealed drone brood in around 50% of them.
Nuc hived up and looking nicely busy.
Looks like I've lost my old queen, no sign of eggs or brood :( I'll do another check on Thursday to make sure before shaking them out. I'll be sad to see her go, such gorgeous, gentle bees.

Working from home has its advantages.... Can keep nipping out to my home hives when I need a break. 90% of them coming home with yellow faces so might need to add another super on Friday....

First inspection of the year, in general hives poor and nucs good. First nuc I opened however was queenless so united it with a weak hive which also went into a nuc box along with another hive which got a frame of brood from a strong nuc to give it a boost along. Marked a queen as well.

Started to sort main apiary.. Lot of.. everything.. bees, pollen, brood, nectar, flow, traffic.. everything.. Location.. Only 500 meters air line distance..
About fruits and frost.. If someone told me to bet that flowers could endure minus 5 to minus 3 Celsius I would lose a bet.. Apricots and peaches seems are gone but pears.. unbelievable flowers still stand.. Still have a chance to eat some pears this season..

Attachments

• f 1.jpg
    f 1.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 33
  • f 2.jpg
    f 2.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 31
  • b 1.jpg
    b 1.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 31
  • pears.jpg
    pears.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 31
Checked a couple of hives at the out-apiary. Thought I would move them on a little by spreading the brood. Plenty of stores.

When I got home, I found a few bees sniffing around my spare equipment.
I'll be setting up a bait hive nearby.

First inspection of the year on my 7 hives at home. 1 was poor with only 3 frames of very patchy brood and a very small queen.All the others are doing great ranging from 7 to 12 frames of brood and plenty of stored pollen and nectar. Did notice quite a few mites in most of them which is disappointing as I vaped them on the winter solstice, have ordered some MAQS which isn't ideal but needs must. Nice frame of brood in this pic..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=pcb.2420562564711041&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Last edited:
Checked 18 colonies today for first inspection
A big mix brood ranging from 2 frames of brood to 7
3 hives reduced to nucs
I guess I'm not too impressed overall some weak colonies.
Alot of chalk brood in 2 colonies thinking on culling those queens , another queen just starting to lay?
8 strong hives

Combined Q- hive (Q lost late last winter judging by the rate of decline of hive weight) with Q+ hive.

Out apiary, both 14x12 polys - quite an impressive stack with a super on top!

Completed first inspection of the year following my first winter, quite a tricky one! Removed the ‘empty’ nadired super from under the brood box which the bees had filled with wild comb. The wild comb was mainly drone, with some stores. Frames filled with brood at all stages. Stores on outer frames. I put a super on top. The foundation is not drawn.

There was a good mix of bees in the brood box, including quite a few drones. There were a number of queen cups on the wild comb only, but no eggs or larvae. I did not see the queen, but assume that she is present due to the presence of eggs and even laying pattern.

I would like to split the colony. Would now be a good time, or should I wait until later in the season? The hive did seem fairly full, there were bees on all of the frames. However, this will be my first full year, and the colony was a small cast swarm which I was given in June of last year, so I do not have a feel for what a really full hive is like. I have a nuc, ready for when the time comes.

Many thanks,
Emily

Latest posts

Back