What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can do it in isolation then why not? Unless you have to drive there I guess

I can walk there but drive when carrying equipment of course .
My out apiary is on private land and away from public footpaths . I’ve actually inspected my bees today.
I negotiate a farm yard but the family there keep well back knowing the 2 metre rule .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Still in isolation IMO, you're only meeting your bees.

True , the rules on leaving the house are a little unclear . The term essential work is ambiguous.

In view of the Coronavirus and a high percentage of beekeepers being over the age of the classification of vulnerable . What do you think about tending your bees in an out apiary whilst under orders to self isolate for 12 weeks ?

I was going to say personal choice but are we getting beyond that. If your driving there and back and you have livestock to care for you could justify it. Maybe best to at least try and get another to call in for you. You could bring some home if you can as another idea before things get worse.

Last edited:
I was going to say personal choice but are we getting beyond that. If your driving there and back and you have livestock to care for you could justify it. Maybe best to at least try and get another to call in for you.

12 weeks is a huge bite out of the beekeeping calendar and at a critical time at that !
Have someone call seems insufficient to me .
If challenged , I’ll claim essential work .

Bring them home? Not going to be a lot else to do!!

Bring them home? Not going to be a lot else to do!!

Not possible. The building free for all has seen my property surrounded by high density shoddy sheds !

No need to use the 'Key worker' monika, the bees are livestock and need tending to fend off disease and starvation, it is called animal husbandry.

I went look at my home hive today and the girls were enjoying the sun. Out of nowhere, and without pause, one of the girls came straight at me, flew up my nose and stung me before I could blow her out.. That cleared the sinuses I can tell you...

Funny how they do that......well actually it isn't funny it's bloody painful. Hope you didn't react too badly!
E

I went look at my home hive today and the girls were enjoying the sun. Out of nowhere, and without pause, one of the girls came straight at me, flew up my nose and stung me before I could blow her out.. That cleared the sinuses I can tell you...

Now you know why elephants are terrified of bees

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Sorry but that made me laugh

Moved some hives at 7.15 this morning to another apiary. The temperature was about 3deg C and there were still a few bees out!

Yesterday we were repairing fence and replacing posts and I was in t shirt. Bees were all around on plums, meadow, etc.. Today snow is falling and I am wearing winter jacket to wind doesn't blow me away.. More snow in next few days.. whole winter there were no significant snow and now it will fall and scorch all the fruit buds and again no fruit for us.. Will wait to see but all people are talking we are done with fruits this season.. Hail to climate changes..

About 10cm of snow and keep falling.. Our fruit trees should be considered ornamental plants.. I think in 6-7 years maybe twice we managed to harvest some walnuts - madness.. Some pears I think will forgot how they taste.. Plums also 2nd year in a row gone..
I think I can say goodbye to spring honey.. since wild cherries were also starting to bloom.. Some even say black locust.. my main forage.. Strange in April I could make winter preparations for 2021., since I am not migratory.. Anyway, honey is not wanted good and is worthless.. Seems someone from above is showing me - to reduce heavily or to abandon beekeeping..

Checked 12 big hives in the garden 1 drone layer found and the queen and squished. I will cage a queen in a small nuc and drop it in place of the larger hive tomorrow or simply unite nuc on top with paper. No drones in any other colonies but capped drone brood in most and plenty of young recently emerged bees in all. All in not bad will check the nucs tomorrow. Ian

Sunny 17C little wind. Warmest day of the year by 5C

Removed nadired supers, cleaned floors, replaced broken one, checked supers. Fed one hive a little fondant. All munching pollen patties but lots of pollen coming in.

Bees on pond collecting water.

Lovely.

14d in sunshine in Sussex..bees piling out
Checked most, only 1 struggling so I gave it clean frames , with stores and pollen patty, shovelled out all dead, and popped in a polynuc as queen still there.I know some would have shaken them out, but I like to give them a chance.The frames were mouldy so maybe rain got in. Bees despondent!

BUT some others.. wow, 4-5 wall to wall beautiful frames of brood on 11 frames bees, and drone brood near to emerging.. going to be a busy year. Put QE on and a super to keep them focused.

Sunny 17C little wind. Warmest day of the year by 5C

Removed nadired supers, cleaned floors, replaced broken one, checked supers. Fed one hive a little fondant. All munching pollen patties but lots of pollen coming in.

Bees on pond collecting water.

Lovely.

Wow! the difference a few hundred miles makes - just about 10 degrees today but the wind makes it feel much colder. The sun just poking through this afternoon.

Took off all the nadired supers which were nicely empty and fairly clean and mould free
Pulled a couple of frames to check stores. They’re pretty full so I’ll swap out a couple of frames from each strong colony and pop in some empty drawn ones.
All six colonies nicely through winter
Masses of pollen going in
Nice to be back in a Bee Suit

Back