What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't dispute that some colonies do.

I do stand by what I have observed myself which is they dont, the consume it directly.

Interesting though. Thanks all

PH

Sat in the garden in the lovely sunshine watching all 4 hives flying bringing in tons of pollen.... lots of colours going in.

Checked fondant through the clear crown boards... they have enough until next weekend.

24 hours after icing sugar dusting, I was pleased to discover less than seven varroa drop in two colonies, and from the huge one I split in two for the purpose, nil varroa on either of the two trays. The two brood boxes back together and all seemed well for all my major disruption of them yesterday.

Simply amazing to see so much foraging work going on this early in the year.

A reflection, on reading many posts about fondant: My four colonies were in great fettle during the Ivy harvest which was long and easy for them in October, and through that time they also took down a vast amount of syrup. All four seem pretty heavy still, so I have not given any fondant at all this winter as yet. Others same story???

24 hours after icing sugar dusting, I was pleased to discover less than seven varroa drop in two colonies, and from the huge one I split in two for the purpose, nil varroa on either of the two trays. The two brood boxes back together and all seemed well for all my major disruption of them yesterday.

Simply amazing to see so much foraging work going on this early in the year.

A reflection, on reading many posts about fondant: My four colonies were in great fettle during the Ivy harvest which was long and easy for them in October, and through that time they also took down a vast amount of syrup. All four seem pretty heavy still, so I have not given any fondant at all this winter as yet. Others same story???

All mine are still a good weight ivy and HM Cristal's on omf floors , I only had to feed one colony syrup and they didn't take much down at all .
No fondant yet either . Even the nucs are ok the way there brooding might change things in the coming weeks though...

Hi All,

So day two of a planned slow move across the garden to a new apiary site 100 feet away.

Original apiary badly sited for bees ,cramped, shady, under trees and out of the way, but good for family and grandchildren .

Have now secured a space in an adjacent overgrown field of brambles and willows 😁. Yesterday was spent knocking a hole through stone wall into field, leveling and chopping out a space for hives. Setting up hives for the move, screwing stuff together and making first metre move.

So far all systems are go, temps high and bees seem to be unfazed bringing in plenty of pollen.... but watch this space!

I started my rounds of the apiaries this morning. Bees active in every hive and only one queen not laying as yet. I marked 4 of last years queens and put the QEs in place on 10 hives. Lots of bright yellow pollen coming in. One big hive had six sides of brood but I was unable to spot the queen. I am looking forward to visiting the others in the next few days. It is the first year that I have had complete overwintering success. I pray we don't get a late cold spell like last year.

Hi All,

So day two of a planned slow move across the garden to a new apiary site 100 feet away.

Original apiary badly sited for bees ,cramped, shady, under trees and out of the way, but good for family and grandchildren .

Have now secured a space in an adjacent overgrown field of brambles and willows 😁. Yesterday was spent knocking a hole through stone wall into field, leveling and chopping out a space for hives. Setting up hives for the move, screwing stuff together and making first metre move.

So far all systems are go, temps high and bees seem to be unfazed bringing in plenty of pollen.... but watch this space!

How are you setting about this move? Moving forwards/backwards or to one side? If they are on the same stand and moving sideways, one colony may well end up with most of the flying bees! And don’t be moving them on non-flying days, either - a few non-flying days could mean lost bees when they do fly!

Moving bees like this is best done in the flying season, not at what could yet still be winter.

RAB

Hi All,

So day two of a planned slow move across the garden to a new apiary site 100 feet away. <snip>

I'm not so experienced but share RAB's concerns. Do you have a pal with a large garden more than three miles away? Wouldn't it end up less work to move them a distance twice, rather than a metre or so so many times? MY fear is that you will lose your most confident scout bees, the ones who buzz off without a moment re-orientation because they know, and then coming back oops no hive where its supposed to be.

I'm not so experienced but share RAB's concerns. Do you have a pal with a large garden more than three miles away? Wouldn't it end up less work to move them a distance twice, rather than a metre or so so many times? MY fear is that you will lose your most confident scout bees, the ones who buzz off without a moment re-orientation because they know, and then coming back oops no hive where its supposed to be.

Spot on.. i may need to move one 300yrds away from the Garden they are in at the moment come May..they will be going on a little 1.5hr journey to Alnwick some time in march and that is where they will stay till May..in the middle of May i will bring them back to H/pool to be placed on there new location...i could not be bothered with the faff on moving 3ft everyday..plus it would be across fields and footpaths so not very practical..or human friendly..

How are you setting about this move? Moving forwards/backwards or to one side? If they are on the same stand and moving sideways, one colony may well end up with most of the flying bees! And don’t be moving them on non-flying days, either - a few non-flying days could mean lost bees when they do fly!

Moving bees like this is best done in the flying season, not at what could yet still be winter.

RAB

Hi Oliver thanks for advice/concern.

Each hive is on a separate stand but I’m planning to move them together, keeping the same distance apart and orientation to one another. I was planning to keep them heading in the same forward direction.... but if consensus is that backwards direction is better I’ll consider it.

I have not moved today as it was overcast .only plan to move them in evening when shut up and after a good flying day.

The hive roofs and landing board have a large symbol unique to that hive, and have had same for past year.

I don’t wish to do harm to bees, will take my time and listen to any advice

Thanks

Hi Tom Jay,

Thanks too for your thoughts . I thought I’d weighed up the pros and cons and came down on this as being best for me. To my mind this way is involving me in less lifting and trouble by keeping them close. The garden is mainly flat and open and it only involves one short lift for each hive on each move.

Re losing the confident scouts I thought the idea with the shorter move is that they suss out hive location on return? ..I can though use the banch trick in front of hive to force them to orientate before leaving as a bit of belt and braces approach...but maybe there are drawbacks to this Approach?

Again thanks

Yep, twigs are a total waste of time. If you are moving them a small distance they need to identify the hive as it has always been. My recent experience is that if they can't find the hive where it was they will fly around until they do!

Fed again my hives with fondant. The bees are eating their way thro quite considerable amounts. All flying well with plenty of bright yellow pollen coming in....

Checked the feed levels of the hives. All ok.

However, the poly nuc had an issue ... a maisemoor poly nuc with feeder on top. Fondant in the feeder. Quite a lot of it has melted, and bees getting very sticky feet. Using Fondabee. Have popped a load of dried leaves on top of fondant/melted fondant for bees to walk on.

Didn't expect the fondant to melt.

Checked the feed levels of the hives. All ok.

However, the poly nuc had an issue ... a maisemoor poly nuc with feeder on top. Fondant in the feeder. Quite a lot of it has melted, and bees getting very sticky feet. Using Fondabee. Have popped a load of dried leaves on top of fondant/melted fondant for bees to walk on.

Didn't expect the fondant to melt.

Had the same experience with Fondabee. Basically becomes a syrup. Not using it anymore. Switched to a different brand, no issues since.

I admired the bees going in and out, laden with pollen, and I resisted the impulse to open up the hives and check how the queens were laying.

Back