What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are moving house so last night I put the three hives and two nucs into a van and transported them to our new place. I left them sealed overnight and went back this morning to open them up.

The weather has changed for the cooler so they weren't too quick to emerge but by midday there were signs of flights.

We've moved from a subuarban location with lots of gardens to a rural area where there are no houses near us. So it will be interesting to see what forage they find in the new place.

Gardening at home apiary today pruning shrubs weeding etc..
Took down a 8x4 shed ready for new hives..
Observed 30 odd bee's collecting water from the long grass 10 metre's from the hives .
Also willow being foraged on

We are moving house so last night I put the three hives and two nucs into a van and transported them to our new place. I left them sealed overnight and went back this morning to open them up.

The weather has changed for the cooler so they weren't too quick to emerge but by midday there were signs of flights.

We've moved from a subuarban location with lots of gardens to a rural area where there are no houses near us. So it will be interesting to see what forage they find in the new place.

Trees and crops, worth watching to see which trees flower and when for your main flows. Watch for lime, sycamore, horse chestnut etc
E

A heads up.

I checked round the colonies and nucs and all but two needed top up. The colonies, in particular, have gone through a kilo and in one instance two kilos in the last ten days.

If you are unsure I would be checking.

PH

One of my nucs has gone trough 4 kilos of fondant

I'm not gloating...just pointing out that if you give them a hive with sufficient space, they will store all the food they need. Mine all have 4+ frames that they haven't touched yet.
I have found that is not always the case..i have three on brood + half that where fed around 20ltr of syrup and went in to winter over 100lb in weight (hive parts included)..over the past few seasons these hives have been fine at that weight but this year they have destroyed there store rather quickly for some reason and now have fondant to keep them ticking over.

I have found that is not always the case..i have three on brood + half that where fed around 20ltr of syrup and went in to winter over 100lb in weight (hive parts included)..over the past few seasons these hives have been fine at that weight but this year they have destroyed there store rather quickly for some reason and now have fondant to keep them ticking over.

Some bees eat more than others. This "winter" has been especially mild so some colonies will have continued brooding - If that is the case, watch your mite levels. You may find they are higher than you expect.

Bees were taking advantage of the warm day again today, bit of a surprise to me as I thought it was going to be colder. 16 degrees a little breezy but did not stop all hives bringing in the pollen.

Checked the fondant, I will need to add more this week. They are all looking big colonies.

Trees and crops, worth watching to see which trees flower and when for your main flows. Watch for lime, sycamore, horse chestnut etc
E

Enrico, I'd be cautious about adding lime in there....I know you had a good crop from it several years ago...but it's not a reliable crop for bees due to nectar appearing early morning and evaporating in the heat of the sun. Need damp moist conditions for a few weeks for serious honey gathering. i.e typical English summer ;)

Dodged bees whirling around in gale force winds. Loads flying from all hives despite the rain and gusts.
It gives the impression that they are searching for food that isn't around. All three colonies have expanded through the warm weather despite lack of forage.
I think everything will happen earlier this year.
Pussy willow not out here yet but is fully out a little further inland along with blackthorn and hawthorn. This weather will put paid to the blossom alas...

Moved four hives to their temporary location whilst my new apiary site is being finished. All but one, red faced lifts, think I might have over done the fondant slightly so they're getting no more after they have eaten this lot.

:ohthedrama: Went out this afternoon came home to find one of my hive roofs on the common thankfully no more damage done to this hive crown board still attached rain was horizontal in my face all the joys of having an apiary on top of a hill.
All hives are strapped and three big dhustone rocks put on top for good measure. freya will not win ... Lucky though it was calm when I went down the valley.

I checked fondant levels today and as predicted two colonies had almost run out so another 1.5kg was added on the top bars..I have never used as much as this year and I have nearly ran out..more on order me thinks..
I am also going to have to keep an eye on one colony in a single brood box ..they have nearly ran out of room to draw foundation and now started building upwards in the eke..here is a empty tub of fondant with there creative work..the bits on top where from the inside..

Attachments

• 20190303_143111-01.jpeg
    20190303_143111-01.jpeg
    211.9 KB
Enrico, I'd be cautious about adding lime in there....I know you had a good crop from it several years ago...but it's not a reliable crop for bees due to nectar appearing early morning and evaporating in the heat of the sun. Need damp moist conditions for a few weeks for serious honey gathering. i.e typical English summer ;)

Make that warm and humid for lime.....and about a 2 week flowering period around me max, although differing varieties may vary a little

Fed some more Fondant, checked on the cut out colony from last Sunday, lots of eggs and very young brood so all good :)

Well I have succumbed and given my four hives slabs of fondant today. First feed since the late September take down of vast quantities of syrup which I guess they mixed with the more vast quantities of ivy nectar they were bringing in. I feel this is 'belt and braces' as the hives were really heavy when I moved them to their new apiary at the beginning of February. I guess I will find out whether they needed it when I check in 48 hours if it's eaten.

No way am I lifting out a frame yet, to check if they have plenty of their own store. But the Flowering Red Currant is opening which in my book is the signal that inspection is ok - when it is fully opened - next week?

All four seemed in very good fettle, two well populated and two hugely populated. A striking thing: not any rising up in defence while the crown boards were off. Ok putting on an eke and then laying a slab of fondant is hardy a disturbance but they seemed just so at ease, all four. It was a delight. I'm left wondering if they have sensed that their new situation is ideal in terms of light and calm, some protection from the prevailing wind, and range of forage.

My local flowering red currant (which in Aberdeenshire opens late April) was sort of gathering it's self to open last week and is now on pause it seems. Odd that with the temperature plummeting.

PH

Latest posts

Back