What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my garden apiary they are motoring through the stores now with sugar crystals from stores of Ivy falling through the mesh floor and raining down onto the ground beneath the stand.

The same here , would you get sugar crystals from Himalayian balsam ?

Most stores in the hive will crystallise over the winter to some extent purely down to cold temps. As a rule big crystals are honeys that set slowly, small/fine fast setting

Checked all three for fondant levels - one (where I had nadired a full super) are scoffing it rapidly, one has stopped taking it, causing concern, but the hum from the hive is comforting and my strongest colony (from a swarm in June) finished their 2.5kg of Ambrosia - not even a smear left - so topped up with another.
All three seemingly doing well.
All active and all have pollen going in - thee shades of yellow.
I have several places providing water for them, but the little sods prefer sucking it up out of my outside door mat!
My dog trod on one recently.....

Most stores in the hive will crystallise over the winter to some extent purely down to cold temps. As a rule big crystals are honeys that set slowly, small/fine fast setting

That explains alot thanks Ian. I could take a sample and put it under the microscope for pollen grains ?

There is a nice amount of cone there , well done
I like the look of your Hoover set up with the box
Is the pressure low enough to reduce splatter

I've just squeezed about 20lb of honey out of the comb..... not sure what to do with it at the moment.
The bee vac works but has a very low vacuum due to ill fitting joints but usable. I made another using a large plastic container but the vacuum was so great the back wall of the container looked like the wind shield of a Ford Anglia during the 70's after a few seconds of use 😄.

I've just squeezed about 20lb of honey out of the comb..... not sure what to do with it at the moment.
The bee vac works but has a very low vacuum due to ill fitting joints but usable. I made another using a large plastic container but the vacuum was so great the back wall of the container looked like the wind shield of a Ford Anglia during the 70's after a few seconds of use ��.

I went to a lecture years ago, he ha made his own bee vac - instead of that thing with a hoover stuck into it, he basically had a nuc with an OMF clipped onto a box with a car ventilation blower fan in (Mondeo if I recall) and a rheostat so he could regulate the suction - he did one swarm recovery by extending his suction hose using drainage pipes to reach a thirty foot high cluster, increased the revs on the fan for extra suck and job done. The kit was also totally portable - didn't need electrickery as it worked off a car battery

Last edited:
I use a dyson ball ...reckon about 50% survival rate after emptied out.
100% death if left in honey processing room as no exit.

Nothing sucks like an Electrolux.......

Not going to remove bees from cavities any more... and will only take swarms if being a nuisance or a threat to small children and animals.......

Re wilding... the way forward... perhaps the BBKA should take a lead on this!

Mine is a nuc type set up where I can put in comb that the bees can settle on I reckon about 90% survival due the the very low vacuum. The high vacuum version was down to about 50%...... not a nice sight.

I use a dewalt Hoover with suction hose attached either side of a bucket, a 50mm hole in side of bucket just moving fingers over the hole to control suction power, very little bees die percentage in single digits

I use a dewalt Hoover with suction hose attached either side of a bucket, a 50mm hole in side of bucket just moving fingers over the hole to control suction power, very little bees die percentage in single digits

How can you use a ‘dewalt hoover’? Dewalt don’t make hoovers any more than Hoover makes dwalt items!

How can you use a ‘dewalt hoover’? Dewalt don’t make hoovers any more than Hoover makes dwalt items!

Really.....What's this then....
LOL...
SI17833-40.jpg

If you look closely you will see it is a "Dewalt" hoover, or vacuum cleaner to use a less ambiguous term.
Loads of different Dewalt models to choose from.
Perhaps it's time you used some of your own grey matter for a change rather than arrogantly imply most on here can't use theirs.

Last edited:
LOL...
SI17833-40.jpg

If you look closely you will see it is a "Dewalt" hoover, or vacuum cleaner to use a less ambiguous term.
Perhaps it's time you used some of your own grey matter for a change rather than arrogantly imply most on here can't use theirs.
:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
I've just fallen of my chair , thanks for making my day N ...

Still nice days.. Couple pics of last days..

Soon they say returning to minus temps..

Attachments

• ai 1.jpg
    ai 1.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 46
  • ai 2.jpg
    ai 2.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 38
  • ai 3.jpg
    ai 3.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 34
  • ai 4.jpg
    ai 4.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 35
  • ai 5.jpg
    ai 5.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 37
LOL...
SI17833-40.jpg

Mint..;)

so just to confirm you have

BEES -> HOSE -> BUCKET (to collect bees w hole in side) -> vacuum cleaner

right ?

citrus go have a look on you tube, also try the beemasters web site they had a advert on the sponsored link/ad page for a decent 1. That should give you a few ideas

Back