What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it is time when lot of beeks buy foundations, if getting some from Belgium or Netherlands be very cautious.. Seems they didn't solve the " problem" and stearine is in them..
My beek friend went on lecture and as to test result, the purest are from Sweden and Russia, Ukraine.
Similar problem we have at my place or in neighbors yard. Instead of stearine paraffin is used. One sample as said had over 90% paraffin..
Lot of stinky money is earned, and why would will we be surprised to bees are dying.. When so many crap we are pouring into hives..
No need for studies on bees, that is for me pointless in regard how we treat them ( for a moment these remind me on " Mengele studies"), these studies should be on " humans"...

Anyway.. some temp rise day temps are now a little bit over 10C. Mornings with light or no frost. Enough for gathering pollen..

Last edited:
She cheated....cos it was then a wet fly....and you can't use a wet fly on "dry fly only" beats.
;)

Honestly... Von read up on it and whatever she read suggested female hormones attract the Fish better with female widdle on the fly of choice ..strange i know but she beat all the dick measuring folk hand's down..

I warm them up in a little takeaway carton above the gas ring..i breath warm air on them first and if the antenna move a little bit i know they are salvageable..it might seem pointless to many but i like to help what/who i like..
My lady friend does warm them up in her hands at another spot but for some reason she takes very little stings compared to what i have had.. maybe a hormone thing .. she poured some pee of hers on a dry fly when fly fishing once and she was the only one to catch anything..weird them other half i tell you.. :rolleyes:

:icon_204-2: where's the emoji for spitting out tea when you need it . :puke: as good as!!
My hormones must be lady like because I've never been stung from warming bee's in my hands . Or is it I have very gentle bee's :rolleyes:

Are you any good at fly fishing.. lol

I'm more of a spinner man last time I did fly fishing I hooked behind my left ear with the fly . Ouch !
It is nice walking up and down the teme river though , you don't need much kit .

Since it is time when lot of beeks buy foundations, if getting some from Belgium or Netherlands be very cautious.. Seems they didn't solve the " problem" and stearine is in them..
My beek friend went on lecture and as to test result, the purest are from Sweden and Russia, Ukraine.
Similar problem we have at my place or in neighbors yard. Instead of stearine paraffin is used. One sample as said had over 90% paraffin..
Lot of stinky money is earned, and why would will we be surprised to bees are dying.. When so many crap we are pouring into hives..
No need for studies on bees, that is for me pointless in regard how we treat them ( for a moment these remind me on " Mengele studies"), these studies should be on " humans".....
Maybe a reason to go foundationless, just wire the frames instead.

Very busy garden hive this afternoon, at least 3 different pollen sources going in bright orange, yellow & a cream coloured one. As the temperature dropped you could hear the buzz coming from the hive, sounded like an electricity sub station

I have the same over in Yorkshire but a dirty orange, almost brown colour pollen coming in.

Bees flying today. Good amounts of orange pollen coming in from all the snowdrops around. Also notices few bees bringing in pale yellow pollen, from the first crocuses I think.
Picked up my first sting of the year on the way, when a guard bee probably thought I shouldn’t be there...

First day this week I've been home by 15.45 and seen some bees flying... car said 13 degrees and the hives would of been in the shsde a couple of hours.... some still flying and bringing in orange and a whitish/grey pollen.

Hopefully with it being 14 degrees next two days I will get an idea how much is going in and if they need any substute. All 4 hives still alive so I'm happy.

Looked through the clear crown board of the garden Nuc the tub of fondant i gave them a while back has half gone so i need to keep a eye on them..the same bees where gathering pollen today from crocus and the inspection tray had three seams of brood cappings around 6" long below where i last seen the grape fruit size cluster they also looked fairly strong from when i last done a fondant check .

Last edited:
Took another 2 colonies out of the church roof today, the first was very small and I don't think it's viable as it had no brood and no sign of the queen.
The second one was much bigger and although I didn't see the queen they had brood on two sides of a comb the biggest almost capped.
Set them up in a well insulated nuc so fingers crossed they make it.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
Took another 2 colonies out of the church roof today, the first was very small and I don't think it's viable as it had no brood and no sign of the queen.
The second one was much bigger and although I didn't see the queen they had brood on two sides of a comb the biggest almost capped.

You certainly have my love for your work...i am in awe with folk who try to help like Yourself..and all the best with them cut outs ..;)

Plans for today is to make a dozen mini mating nucs taking half SN4 frames. I will also need to make the frames. Yesterday we had a glorious day so I had a quick look through all the hives for stores, removed fondant on a couple of them which still had capped frames.

Last weekend I moved my four hives, as we are moving house. My newly established apiary is a total dream in terms of its aspect and the range of local forage. Visited yesterday 3pm in that glorious sunshine and they were out in massive numbers doing re-orientation flights. What a wonder to behold.

Over here today was all the way bright sky and sun, no wind temp 11-15C. Again my eyes burn of hazel pollen, evidently dusting A LOT more than last weekend. Bees must brought " heavy load" of pollen. Tomorrow seems will be reprise of today. Not finished pruning.. yet. Peeked in the couple hives, some could get another fondant soon. Still cornel didn't open the flowers, now would be time since we have warm spell.. To bees gather first nectar in 2019. that would be crème de la crème..

Checked all hives for stores and replenished where needed.

Checked the six colonies at my nice place..five of which are doing ok for now and bringing three colours in.. Green unsure where from..dark yellow and yellow Gorse and Snow drop is all that is on the menu so that is that.. one hive is sinking and slightly of level through Voles or Moles..that will be fixed tomorrow..

In my garden apiary they are motoring through the stores now with sugar crystals from stores of Ivy falling through the mesh floor and raining down onto the ground beneath the stand.

There is a nice amount of cone there , well done
I like the look of your Hoover set up with the box
Is the pressure low enough to reduce splatter

Back