What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Yeah mostly worker. Thanks for the thought though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Well! For the first time in forty years I have had the worst spring. I came into spring with two strong hives and one weak one. But suddenly, from nowhere, I am in deep trouble. All of my hives are queen less and all have laying workers although one may have a barren queen.
Rang around today for queens but British ones are hard to find. Maisemore had some Greek Buckfast delivered today so drive for two hours to get there only to find they had not been inspected for shb and that that wouldn't happen until tonight so drove all the way home again with no queens. They will be sent to me in the post by Saturday.
Looking on the bright side, all my hives will have new queens this year!
I have no idea what happened to all my queens. The two hives are still relatively strong and should pick up with mated queens. I will make a small nuc out of the weak one.
The only thing I did differently this winter was use an OA vapourisor. Mmmmm!
E

Well! For the first time in forty years I have had the worst spring. I came into spring with two strong hives and one weak one. But suddenly, from nowhere, I am in deep trouble. All of my hives are queen less and all have laying workers although one may have a barren queen.
Rang around today for queens but British ones are hard to find. Maisemore had some Greek Buckfast delivered today so drive for two hours to get there only to find they had not been inspected for shb and that that wouldn't happen until tonight so drove all the way home again with no queens. They will be sent to me in the post by Saturday.
I have no idea what happened to all my queens. The two hives are still relatively strong and should pick up with mated queens. I will make a small nuc out of the weak one.
E
That's a bit of a bummer but i would look for other reasons as to why you are in this situation, mine are fine and dandy up to now and they have all had there fare share from the gasser.

Maisemore had some Greek Buckfast delivered today so drive for two hours to get there only to find they had not been inspected for shb and that that wouldn't happen until tonight so drove all the way home again with no queens.

Small Hive beetle in Greece? Or just a routine check for any imported bees?
Sorry about your queen losses....it's not been a good winter for many from what I'm hearing.
But to concur what Millet mentioned vaporization is unlikely to have killed your queens.Unless you fried all three on the Pan...
I've used it for years with no noticeable increase in deceased queens or colonies.

Might have been a lucky escape - I had some Greek Buckfast from them last season that because the most aggressive colony I have seen. None performed particularly well, so safe to say I won't use them again

Might have been a lucky escape - I had some Greek Buckfast from them last season that because the most aggressive colony I have seen. None performed particularly well, so safe to say I won't use them again

Maybe not that lucky, they're in the post on Saturday! :)

Pp

They will have them back if that happens!!
I know the vapour wasn't really to blame. Just sheer coincidence,
What really upsets me is I had taken years breeding really quiet good stock. Oh well, start again!
E

E

I'm so sorry to hear that Enrico - your posts had been so upbeat until today. Same thing happened to me last year. I managed to get a couple of queens locally, of indeterminate age with limited results. I hope your purchases work out for you.

Pp

They will have them back if that happens!!
I know the vapour wasn't really to blame. Just sheer coincidence,
What really upsets me is I had taken years breeding really quiet good stock. Oh well, start again!
E

I thought you had Nuc's to fall back on E, i may have miss read a post though..

Dont forget Greece has a history of warriors as mentioned in the song (to the tune of the British Grenadier)

Some talk of Alexander and some of Hercules,
Of Hector and Lysander and other clubs like these,
But the greatest club in all the league,
With me you will agree,
With a tow row row row row wow,
Is Wakefield Trinity.

:) :) :)

I set up a new two hive out apiary today, nice location, should do well.

3 hives all overwintered safely now expanding and queens all still the old ones. Oldest girl has significantly reduced her brood areas but is increasing so we shall see how she does this year but will be looking to requeen I suspect later in the year. Other two now laying like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bee-smillieReally good flow today the best yet nectar exchange on the door step I wanted to do an inspection tomorrow, its been two weeks since the last just wondering as everything was fine then and as there really busy now to leave them another week. The hive sounds lovely...

3 hives all overwintered safely now expanding and queens all still the old ones. Oldest girl has significantly reduced her brood areas but is increasing so we shall see how she does this year but will be looking to requeen I suspect later in the year. Other two now laying like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hero to Zero, tried to drown a queen in syrup. Not my finest moment.:hairpull:

Prepped myself for a bailey comb change tomorrow.

bee-smillieReally good flow today the best yet nectar exchange on the door step I wanted to do an inspection tomorrow, its been two weeks since the last just wondering as everything was fine then and as there really busy now to leave them another week. The hive sounds lovely...

More reason to get in there ASAP, or risk losing a swarm

Foundationless gone wrong

Foundationless frame was stuck to an adjacent frame so it was easier to get both out together
foundationless error 1.jpg

Thought they has simply not drawn the foundationless frame until I looked inside ther hive
foundationless error 2.jpg

Stuck to side wall was the drawn foundation.
foundationless error 3.jpg

I'm going to stick with swarms and mating nucs to draw out my foundationless frames in the future.

Latest posts

Back