What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smell of plum flowers is seducing all over the place, especcially when open the hives.. Two colonies went to new owner.. I count that as winter loss..?
Borrowed a cam from our kid.. and forgot the camera.. Have pics but not here..
Wild cherries start opening, popping all around in the forest. Blackthorn in full bloom. It can be felt the nature awaken and rushing into frantic April.

By my poor count two colonies sold is a + not a loss. Bees are cheap to produce.. oops ..... they don't need to know this else £200 prices will be challenged?

PH

What did I do in the apiary this morning ? Well, the first thing was to scrape ice off the car windscreen - which was hard and thick, so temps must have dropped very low last night.

sw3a4z.jpg

Looks like being "one of those years" ...
LJ

What did I do in the apiary this morning ? Well, the first thing was to scrape ice off the car windscreen - which was hard and thick, so temps must have dropped very low last night.

sw3a4z.jpg

Looks like being "one of those years" ...
LJ

Bird bath frozen on top here, but no frost on grass.

... and by mid-morning, windless, hot and sunny (in this locale) - all hives flying and bringing the pollen in.

And people wonder why Brits are always talking about the weather. :)
LJ

Bees in garden flying very actively and with purpose bringing in loads of pollen. Warm sunny day with washing out on the line. Hope better half doesn't notice bees emptying themselves on it during cleansing flights.

Just read my april BBKA news. Anyone notice photos of queen cells on page 135 labelled wrong way round?

Just read my april BBKA news. Anyone notice photos of queen cells on page 135 labelled wrong way round?

Yes, I saw that too! Made me stop and think for a moment!

I was hoping to get a look in my hives today, but the wind is a bit chilly today.

Did the first full inspections today while the bees where working willow and dandelion. Loads of pollen coming in. 17c in the sun.

All 12 hives seem to have made it through ok.

One was noticeably weaker but still with a very nice laying pattern. I added some emerging brood from 1 of the hives on 15 frames B+H.

Below a typical brood frame from one of the stronger hives.

33514271561_a55655d851_c.jpg
[/url]2017-03-25_04-51-23 by laurence edwards, on Flickr[/IMG]

I have pictures! Yours for only £5,000 or the Sun gets them...

I was hoping the Sun would give me £5k so they could use them for their "naturists and their hobbies" page 3 feature

A couple..

Attachments

• 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 43
Warm and sunny today, so quickly peeked under the crown board to see 7-8 frames of bees and enough stores (as well as loads of ants on the top of the board). If the weather keeps up, I think it's super time next week.

15 degrees, sunny and no wind, so I checked the top boxes of my main colonies ( double brood). Brood on 6 frames in all but one colonies, and drone brood in one. One colony is dwindling. Queen not seen but a small bit of BIAS. Dummied down, so will see what happens.

Latest posts

Back