What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OAV would be my choice at this time of year as it won't stop the queen laying but only if it's needed. What's your mite drop at present?

I've just done a board check after 24 hours 4 on one board 5 on another.
I don't use the OAV, ( at the moment but thinking about getting one )

I've just done a board check after 24 hours 4 on one board 5 on another.
I don't use the OAV, ( at the moment but thinking about getting one )

Thats pretty high for 24 hours.
I've just collected the last of 3 * 7 day sticky boards. I still have the last set of mites to count so I'll not post my full numbers quite yet, but, I had several that only had 1 mite after 14 days

Yes pretty high. I'd get in there. My worst drop so far is 5 in 8 days.
Have you any contacts with a vapouriser you could borrow. What are folks' thoughts on apivar on prescription ?

Last edited:
Moved the first empty hive in the new apiary, I just looked at the weather and its forecast is for rain tomorrow, I'll think I will start moving hives.

Thats pretty high for 24 hours.
I've just collected the last of 3 * 7 day sticky boards. I still have the last set of mites to count so I'll not post my full numbers quite yet, but, I had several that only had 1 mite after 14 days

Arrrgh...
Mine were dropping anything from 3 to 15.
Since it is still too cold to open the hives...I vaped....120 on one hive, 73, 22 and 2. I vaped the nuc but there is no board for that. So I guess I will be Vaping again.

Lots flying today which is great to see. Only visited one site though. They have plenty of food so holding off full inspections for the time being. Will not be long though if this mild weather continues down here

Arrrgh...
Mine were dropping anything from 3 to 15.
Since it is still too cold to open the hives...I vaped....120 on one hive, 73, 22 and 2. I vaped the nuc but there is no board for that. So I guess I will be Vaping again.

Personally I have repeated OAV on anything more than 50 after the first vape

Boiled 50/60 frames that were ruined overwinter by moth,all ready for new foundation
Got my delivery of Paynes 6 frame nucs,extra BBs and supers
Melted the remaining comb from the ruined frames and have it settling in buckets,hard to get the smell out of your nostrils

Inspected my hives today with it being nice today and the last few days. One hive is very strong, a lot of bees, BIAS with frames of sealed brood and plenty of honey. The other two have plenty of honey too but the queens have only started to lay, a lot of fresh eggs and some sealed brood

All have taken in a lot of pollen over the last few nice days we have had in the midlands, so far so good.

When I vaped mine, the highest drop was 30 and lowest was just 5. Two hives of black bees only 5 and 6 and both colonies requiring comb change this year. Neither colony was treated in Autumn so I was quite pleased. My biggest headache will be sorting out their brood combs, first inspection is going to be a messy one.

Finished off another 2 triple hive stands - design is perfected now, and then went out to 3 of the apiaries to check on activity - and popped on some Candipollen (Italian stuff) to keep the bees going in the upcoming unsettled weather....it might seem like spring but it's still only early March !

Some of the OSR around is starting to really grow - reckon it's about 3 weeks before it starts flowering before it goes hell for leather in April.

And also found a new outlet for honey - they were so positive and excited unlike some outlets who seem to put all sorts of blockers in one's way to stock honey. Went back this evening to drop some stock in.

Plenty to do either end of this week - am collecting a batch of 2nd hand hives on Friday which will need repairs and scorching as well as prepping for the expansion plans.

As promised, I have attached the natural mite drop figures for my A.m.c. test colonies from other breeders. Unfortunately, one of the NL-Line queens came through the winter very weak and was robbed out. That colony is obviously dead now (my first casualty this year).

Colony 31 is a VSH carnica which I received from The Netherlands last August so, unsurprisingly, its natural mite drop was very low. Colonies 84 (I.B. Celle Line A2-001 6-1-0649-2016) and 93 (IB Celle Line A1-013 6-1-0628-2016) look promising too though.
Colony 55 (I.B. Celle Line A2-001 6-1-0640-2016) doesn't look very good for varroa but, experience has taught me that, these queens often perform as well as (if not better than) other lines for honey.
This is really just the start of the testing so I don't want to pre-judge anything.

Incidentally, column 1 is blank for a reason. The test began on 20/2/17 but I was unable to collect the samples until 6/3/17, so column 2 is actually a 14 day mite drop.

Attachments

• 2017 varroa count.pdf
    665.8 KB
Personally I have repeated OAV on anything more than 50 after the first vape

I will be Vaping them again...though they don't like it much.
I know there is brood in two of the colonies.

Well the weather was nice enough today to look through the hives in the garden, all was well. However I have heard of two queens in one hive but I have never seen it - well today I experienced it in one of the hives. The old green queen is getting on in life now (2014) I'll just leave them alone, they seem happy together!

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    646.7 KB
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    682.9 KB
13C and sunny and windless so counted frames of bees and took CB temps...
Ranges 3-8 frames and 19 to 30C - temperatures higher than 3 weeks ago.
Not warm enough to inspect although I was in shirt sleeves.
Lots of yellow pollen (pussy willow?) coming in...

Dived in for a quick inspection in glorious sunshine. Relieved to see all three seem to have come through the winter well and queens starting to get going.

Such a beautiful morning here...bright blue sky and no wind.
I was down in the Bee Yard doing a few jobs...the bees were out...lots of bee reorientating. Some deep yellow pollen going in.
Slipped into our bee suits to have a quick look in the hives.
Small patches of brood and the queens seen...lots of stores and the bees very active. Only managed two hives...then looked up to see the fog rolling across the Vale towards us...so shut up shop. The fog has been really thick for the past hour but is thinning out a bit now and the sun is breaking through.
What a peculiar day!

Latest posts

Back