What did you do in the apiary today??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bee related course?

yep full 2 day job, went really well too - gives them a chance to hit the sales too (we got lucky on the weather, just)

fed 2 of my colonies their last syrup this morning.

Well after constructing a few bee hive parts for next year (Maisemore sale thanks!!) I then popped up t'apiary and fed the last of the syrup to the hives that needed it, removing empty feeders from the others.
I was surprised to find that 2 hives had propolised up completely the mesh on the contact feeders, and, having hefted them, have found the hives are pretty heavy anyway.

Well we all make mistakes, me included!! I wanted to remove a few spare super frames from the strongest hive (having left 3 supers on for them to clear out) only to find that 2 of them were almost entirely full of something or other (syrup or capped honey). Amazing really considering the weather inconsistencies recently. I also too the opportunity to re-fit 2 entrance blocks missing and remove a perspex cover board, replacing it with a wooden one.

Well, that's it for the season, apart from oxalic in December. Bees seem happy and healthy and well placed for the winter we are about to experience next week....lets hope I don't speak too soon !!!

regards

S

Winter is upon us! We made a bit of a botch of the anti-woodpecker netting (I'll stake it out with some rebar insetad of the garden canes this week!) but the mouse guards are on. Feeders will come off this week too and the roof insulation is cut to size. Chill bees...

295b365

295b365

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back