What did you do in the apiary today??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's also fun to lie on the grass directly under their flight path and just watch them whizzing to and fro ...

:)

Never realised they are so addictive, should have had bees years ago.

watched bees chucking bits of paper out of the door, it's like bee confetti! (combined 2 colonies yesterday)

finally killed off a small colony that was queenless and had drone-laying worker. Bad case of what I assume was wax moth infestation. Maggots and pupae all over the place. My brood box has dozens of indentations in the wood where the maggots nibbled out a resting place. Quite gross, but it was a interesting field experiment, which I have no desire to repeat.
Now I've got to find my washing soda and blowtorch to freshen up the frames.

Removed feeders plus Queen excluders >
Had to chip the QXs off they were so propolised LOL.
Such beautiful weather I hung around watching . The bees are still working balsam and Ivy and Michaelmas Daisies .
Spotted bees returning with propolis, (repairing the damage I had just done no doubt) I found them working a Christmas tree in the farm rear garden (Norway spruce I think ?)

John Wilkinson

Night temperatures are low but above freezing point so far.
The days are sunny and the bees working well ( throwing drones out yesterday ,which is rather late in the year for my area ;)).
It will not last LOL

John Wilkinson

I got the boring stuff out of the way first - weighed all hives and did a varroa count. All hives are now within 5kgs of their winter weight (40kg) so mixed another gallon for each. 3 of 10 still have a high daily drop so will continue with Apiguard until the weather changes for the worse. Glorious today blue sky, calm and 21C in the shade, hot in the sun.

Then did what a lot of others have done sat and watched the pollen coming in with the occasional swat at Asian hornets.bee-smillie

Very nice afternoon weather wise.
Went to top up feeders.
All empty exept one that had a little left.

Had to remove bur comb from a couple of crown boards that had colonies thinking of expanding !!

I spent a minute explaining to them that its October,wanted to take some pics of the bees that were bringing in ivy nector as they were missing the hive entrance completly due to weight issues and were hitting the grass below the hive stands but I had left the camera at home.

Watched a wasp hover menacingly around the entrance and felt smug that in a month's time it would probably be as dead as a door-nail.

Ben P

Ahh Victor,

So someone may have been lucky and got a late supercedure queen mated over the last couple of days?!?

No other reason why they should still be there, otherwise.

Me? I am just watching the hives I can see. They are on their own until the spring.

Regards, RAB

Just had a quick look in mine, removed what was left of the apilife, couldn't believe the activity 20 mins later.

They seemed to be out celebrating. :)

Thought about putting a thermometer on the outside of the hive!! They are bunging in and out at a rapid rate and it is only 10-11 degrees...maybe they need a hint the winter is coming!!;)

Went in mine today just to put on another pint of 2-1 syrup, they were queuing up nicely for the stuff, no pushing and shoving. Had a look at them from the outside, they were chilled, a few chatting on the landing board, none flying because its cold and damp. A wasp was flitting about on the nettles close by but didn't seem interested in the hive. I was advised by the bee inspector not to go in any more this year but just feed until they stop taking it, so I geive them syrup every few days but of course if it gets too much colder or wetter I will feed more often

Feeding finished 3 weeks ago.. Just watching the pollen coming in...On sunny days, lots of bees still flying over 1/2 mile to get HB..

day 1 of a 2 day training course

i put some honey in the warmer, for making into soft set. and melted some wax(had a few nosey bees) into a block , got more tomorrow to do.

There were not many flyers today as the temperature has dropped.

I prepared the hive for winter last weekend and at the bottom I have put a super with 3 frames either side with Thymol tainted honey just to give them extra feed. Since there is no monitor board in now all the debris is dropping through onto the flag below the hive. There is a significant amount of white material which is very waxy and if you rub it it sticks together. I am assuming the bees are making more comb in the first BB where there are a few undrawn foundation and have started moving stores up a level.

Am I assuming correctly?

Latest posts

Back