What are the chances

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazzamazda

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
What are the chances of vapourising the queen on the first use of a Varrox.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3692.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3693.jpg
    IMG_3693.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 165
The odds must be pretty long! Buy a lottery ticket!

Suppose you had two queens co-existing in there, an old one and a new one from supersedure at the end of the 2016 drone season. The old one might have been on dodgy ground anyway and the oxalic acid simply tipped the balance??? Please let us know if the colony is queen-right at first inspection in spring.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments.

Erica, I didnt think of that, it wasnt possible on that particular hive but did use your idea on some others today, thanks!

I think that particular hive has just swarmed in the last few days, weather been too rubbish to check but I think that might have been an emerged virgin so here is hoping, not sure any queens will mate with low temps but we have started with many drones already. I'll hopefully have a look tomorrow.

I agree with you John, I have seen a few bees in my last vapouriser but never a queen.

I usually get a single suicide about 1 hive in 5
That's Stunningly bad luck !

I usually get a single suicide about 1 hive in 5
That's Stunningly bad luck !

As part of a new(to me) method of AS I left a colony to re queen themselves. A virgin escaping the carnage there moved into a neighbouring box where I had put an expensive LASI queen which was then murdered and tossed out onto the landing board

I sense the one true law of nature in action..........
Murphy's law !

As part of a new(to me) method of AS I left a colony to re queen themselves. A virgin escaping the carnage there moved into a neighbouring box where I had put an expensive LASI queen which was then murdered and tossed out onto the landing board

Yes that is not good, at the worst I've lost an angry black native queen. An old guy I know here introduces a new virgin queen, walks it into a failing hive with old queen still inside, he doesnt need to find and kill her, leaves the virgin to take over and do the hard work.

Turns out it was the queen. Just deciding what to do with the colony, really strong, queen cells, drone brood but not sure if we will get the temps for queen mating yet.......decisions.

A lot of beekeepers use that method all the time as a means of requeening stating that it is supersedure and have not got a clue of what is going on. So thank you for enlightening them.

A lot of beekeepers use that method all the time as a means of requeening stating that it is supersedure and have not got a clue of what is going on. So thank you for enlightening them.

Errr no
It was an AS a Wally Shaw
The parent box after repatriation of the queen makes emergency cells........LOTS
The bees are left to sort it out. I expect some of those queens escape into the real world and in a crowded apiary one might find her way, unmolested, into another box
Edit
Ahhhhh but I see what you mean.
It might be more common than people realise and the appearance of a new queen in a colony might be due to what happened above....yes, I see

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back